• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution is the only theologically plausible answer

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
science isn't the be all and end all of knowledge.

Empiricism is the only path to knowledge about reality. Faith contributes nothing to knowledge. It can't, because it is divorced from empiricism. Its pronouncements have been largely incorrect where testable, those that were correct were just guesses that had to be demonstrated correct empirically by others, and the rest are unfalsifiable (untestable) metaphysical pronouncements that can't be used for anything - you know, the kind that are often called "not even wrong"

When scientists have learned all they can, they will just be starting to realize that the theist had it right all along.

And what do you suppose would make them think that? There's no evidence that gods exist now and no reason to think that there will be then, either.

I make a distinction between correct statements, incorrect statements, and unfalsifiable statements, which are neither. Do you have criteria for deciding those? I do. Correct statements are those that are demonstrably correct and allow one to predict outcomes - ideas that can be used to make desirable outcomes materialize and undesirable outcomes avoided. Did you want a nice French meal at nearby restaurant tonight? A correct statement about where that can be found can lead one to that desirable outcome if there is such a restaurant, and an incorrect one leads to searching in vain for a restaurant that doesn't exist - an undesirable outcome. That's what I mean by knowledge, and truth, and correct statements - not any belief people want to declare truth because it feels right to them.

Also, correct statements cannot be successfully rebutted (falsified). These are the kinds of rules the empiricist uses to decide what is true about the world. He's not interested in either incorrect or unfalsifiable ideas, because they don't produce these kinds of results. And he has a method for identifying correct ideas and winnowing out the others. But first, one must have a clear idea of what correct means, and theists with unfalsifiable demonstrably incorrect claims don't meet the empiricist's criteria for using that word.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
What is it about this topic that gets some theists so riled up? If evolution has no bearing on the existence of God, why do some Christians insist that we must reject it in favour of a literal interpretation of the book of Genesis?
I haven't perused this thread in a few days, but it seems like they are still riled up.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Atheists, unlike creationists, tend to value the truth when it comes to our world.

The question you should be asking yourself is "Why do you think that God is a liar?"
That has always been a puzzle to me in these online debates. The group that should value truth as part of their ideology is the one that doesn't appear to. The reliance is instead on empty claims, logical fallacies, misinformation and the elevation of their unverified opinions to the level of fact.

It has always been my finding that the atheists are most often very honest in their presentation of their ideas in debates like this.

I find the former condition makes me very sad.

gnostic

The Lost One
I have been watching you dance around the subject on Abiogenesis vs Intelligent Design, @Wildswanderer...

Where did the components come from? And how can life come from non life? We can't even do that in a laboratory.

Chemicals produced by nature. And what a shock!!:eek::eek::eek:. We cannot reproduce an event that likely took millions of years.

But do you know what we can reproduce in the laboratory? Many of the possible steps. That is what can be reproduced

Meanwhile you have no reliable evidence at all for your beliefs.

Nature is magic now? Nature has laws and works certain ways because it was designed.

No,now that is irony considering you believe in magic. And your claim is false. It was refuted almost seventy years ago by the Miller Urey experiment

They got almost everything wrong. No one takes that experiment seriously now.
Chemicals do not produce life; only complex structures such as DNA and enzymes produce life.

Amino acids aren't life. What a crock.

...and you really do talk a lot of illogical and unscientific rubbish, @Wildswanderer.

The questions are:
  1. Why do insist on talking or bringing up subjects, subjects such as biochemistry and molecular biology, which you clearly don’t understand and never took the times, even to learn the basics?
  2. And did you know the basis of Abiogenesis require understanding of molecular biology (eg understanding of biological macromolecules, such as proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and other biological compounds) and understanding of biochemistry?
  3. Did you know that Abiogenesis is about understanding the origins of these biological matters (macromolecules).
What we already know, is that the earliest species of Bacteria were the earliest organisms to exist on Earth. They existed as far back as 3.7 billion years ago, when there were no free oxygen (O2) in the Earth's atmosphere at that time, bacteria survived on other sources of chemical energy, such as nitrogen, methane or carbon dioxide.

But in every single living organisms, they are made of cells, and cells are made of 3 essential biological macromolecules that I have already mentioned:
  1. proteins
  2. nucleic acids (eg RNA, DNA)
  3. carbohydrates (which there are many types of carbohydrates, each with specific functions).
Another vital biological compound, is lipid, which have many functions, depending on the types of lipid.

To understand these biological matters that exist in each cells, you need some knowledge on molecular biology.

Until you can grasp the basics of molecular biology, you have no hope of ever understanding how they are connected to life, nor why it is so important in Abiogenesis to understand the origins of each these biological macromolecules.

And the main purpose is about creating life from inorganic chemicals, but how the origins of these vital organic matters (eg proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates, etc).

I think you have no ideas what proteins are made of. Or what nucleic acids, like DNA & RNA, are made of.

You just keep spouting a bunch of ignorant and illogical gibberish, follow by your insulting comments.

Proteins, DNA, carbohydrates as well as lipids are essential chemical components in every single cells. They are what make “cell”, “LIVING”, because each of them played roles in all "cellular" life.

One of you ignorant claim is this:

“Amino acids aren't life.”

True, but it is also false.

Amino acids are not “life”, and no one claiming amino acids are life. That's just you making faulty strawman argument.

Your statement is also false because you did not understand any of the linked articles, @SkepticThinker had provided.

It is true, amino acids aren’t life, but they are important building blocks or components of proteins.

Without amino acids, there would be no proteins. Which leads to another ignorant statement you made in one of above quotes:

Chemicals do not produce life; only complex structures such as DNA and enzymes produce life.”

What do you think enzyme is?

You have no idea, do you?

And you say chemical don't create life. Plus you claimed nature to be magic:

"Nature is magic now?"

No, nature isn't magic. Nor are chemical reactions.

Every elements and every molecules and compounds, whether they be organic or inorganic, are chemical.

Some chemicals are artificially manufactured, while even more are "natural"

Enzymes are proteins, AND THAT cause chemical reactions. So for you to claim naturally occurring chemical reactions, as "magic", just demonstrated your lack of understanding of both chemistry and biology.

One of the number of functions of enzymes are chemical reactions in metabolism. Metabolism are what help sustain life, producing energy needed, when animals break down food, and they produce sugars and other nutrients.

Plants have their own metabolism, and through photosynthesis process. To illustrate what I mean by photosynthesis:

The plants (eg trees) roots draw water from the soil, and leaves, branches trunks draw carbon dioxide, while the chloroplast organelle in the cell of each leaf, which contained the chlorophyll (eg the green pigment is the chlorophyll) capture the ultraviolet light and stored its energy. This energy break down together the water and carbon dioxide, and produce oxygen (O2) and starch (carbohydrate). That's how NATURAL CHEMICAL REACTION occurred among plants, creating food (starches), the source of light-sustaining energy.

Fungi (eg mushrooms) produce energy (their food) using enzymes to change the composition of the soil, into suitable nutrients for fungi.

Without amino acids, there are no proteins, and without proteins, there would be no enzymes.

Your dismissal on the importance of amino acids, clearly show you have no idea about biology and chemistry.

There are no magic involved with nature.

Magic is something like God creating man from soil or the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7).

You keep saying non-living substances cannot produce life, but soil are not living matters. This is double standard.

The Miller-Urey Experiment were never about producing life, but about the possible origin of organic matters (eg amino acids) from inorganic chemicals (eg water, methane, ammonia and hydrogen). The source of heat came from electric charge from electrodes.

In 1952, 9 of these amino acids were detected. More amino acids were detected in 2007, even when there were no additional heat apply to these original samples, bringing the total number to 20.

Of course, not all amino acids would become protein. How the different protein formed and function, are dependence on the sequence of certain types of proteins.

Like I said early, without amino acids, there would be no proteins, and without proteins, there would be no enzymes (and therefore no metabolism), no tissues (eg no muscles, no nerves, no skin, etc) and no organs (heart, lungs, livers, kidneys, eyes, etc).

I am not even a biologist, and yet I know more than you.

The final question to you would be:

Can you learn from your mistakes or from your misunderstanding?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
My comment was, "By you or other creationists? First, they don't debate. They merely disagree, and without sound argument or an understanding of the known science."

If they were critical thinkers, they wouldn't be creationists. And you forget how much of that creationist science we see on these threads daily. You've left a little yourself in this thread about what seems impossible to you.

Also, that's not a rebuttal. Actually, it's an example of what I was saying. You didn't rebut, just dissent. Where's your falsifying argument? You have none.

That requires training and discipline to do. One never wants to leave that box EVER when deciding what is true about the world. Empiricism is our tether to reality. There is no other path to knowledge about the world if one's definition of truth or knowledge is to mean more than just what one wants to believe or what one feels is right.

My comment was, "Trees are living things capable of assembling themselves. Houses need designers and builders." Once again, you show that you don't debate. You don't attempt to falsify the arguments you don't like. You just dismiss them, in this case with an ad lapidem fallacy: "The informal fallacy of dismissing an argument as untrue or absurd without explaining why."

No, that's how you believe. The scientific theories are correct. That's why they work. They accurately anticipate outcomes, and that is the evidence they are correct.

No, I didn't. I assume your point was that if I didn't do that, my beliefs are as unfounded as faith-based believers' beliefs, but that is incorrect.

Once again, just because you find yourself in that situation doesn't mean that others are as well. YOU don't have evidence for your beliefs. The empiricist does.

And how odd it is that your chief objection to science is that it is believed by faith. Your worldview is faith-based.
The bulk of this thread fits the pattern I have observed with every debate I have been involved with that included those with creationist views.

I haven't seen anything that breaks that pattern on this thread.

I am amused that people that think and operate entirely in a box that they cannot bear to leave incorrectly accuse others of doing that.

I have a lot to say on this subject, but I'll just say that I have never seen a creationist provide a rational argument for their position. Claiming we all have the same evidence is meaningless joke when most of it will be ignored or inappropriately dismissed by a wave of the hand.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Lol, that like saying a rock in the woods is a house.
Only much worse, because life is much more complex than that. You need a DNA code for starters.
That doesn't make any sense. Amino acids are some of the building blocks of life much as a rock in the woods could be a building block for a house. Why is that so hard to understand?

Show us that you need the code first and that it is not a consequence of the available chemistry and natural selection. I know you aren't going to do it and the cartoon explanations from the pseudoscience websites don't do it either.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't assume that a "medical professional" is right either.
What a plumber has to do with it, I have no idea.
Sometimes I've got better medical advice from people who aren't professionals.
You have been trying to sell the idea that all viewpoints are equal. They are not and even you recognize that.

I am not at all surprised about that. I've seen examples of you looking for advice about science from sources that have nothing useful to provide regarding science.

It isn't really something to brag about.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Nonsense. It's a scientific theory, like plate tectonics or germ theory of disease.

It's only religious-minded folks claiming it as a religion in order to drag it down to their level. I've seen it time and again.
In these debates there is a very repetitive pattern that I have observed numerous times over the decades. The empty attempt to portray science as a religion is pretty typical of that pattern. Those sorts of things are beloved in arguments against science.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I used to see the world from a Christian point of view back when I was a Christian.
I'm now an agnostic atheist.
I've already viewed this from "another angle."
Oops.
How about you?
The irony is that the creationist position arises and remains trapped inside a metaphorical box.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No. Religion is your weakness. Just because you know that you are wrong you should not falsely accuse others of that too.

You really really should try to learn the concept of evidence.
I would say that it is adherence to a particular ideology within a religion that is sustained through the deification of the very teachings that tell us not to do just that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would say that it is adherence to a particular ideology within a religion that is sustained through the deification of the very teachings that tell us not to do just that.
True. Religion is no a weakness for all. Some let their religion take away their ability to reason rationally. Oddly enough they are the only ones that I have seen accuse others of having a religion when they do not. It is only the extremists that are fond of "the pot calling the stainless steel black". It is not a case of the pot calling the kettle black. It is a case of people with a rather extreme belief accusing others of having the same.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, debunked. Many decades ago. And you guys still trot it out as though it's some sort of gotcha! Over and over and over and ....

You don't seriously think the fossil record is the only line of evidence for evolution, do you? That's how you know this "argument" is super outdated. ;)
Patterns. It's like part of a playbook.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, debunked. Many decades ago. And you guys still trot it out as though it's some sort of gotcha! Over and over and over and ....

You don't seriously think the fossil record is the only line of evidence for evolution, do you? That's how you know this "argument" is super outdated. ;)

It is rather amazing that creationists do not seem to realize that Darwin did not use the fossil record for evolution. His arguments were all based upon existing life. He said that if his theory was true then it should be eventually confirmed by the fossil record. And it was. In fact that happened during Darwin's lifetime. The first clearly transitional fossil was found Archaeopteryx. It had characteristics of both dinosaurs and modern birds, though its modern bird features where not well developed, and of course that w is what was expected too. Since then we have found countless other transitional fossils, but biologists have also found much more of the evidence that Darwin based his theory on.

There are a good six or more independent lines of evidence that all point towards evolution. It has abut the strongest consilience of any scientific concept out there.