1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Evidence God Is

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by nPeace, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,293
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    You have an odd concept of evidence.
    First, science can't deal with the supernatural. There's nothing there for science to work with. The supernatural produces no evidence to examine. It's magic.
    Then, there's the designer. That's a who. Science doesn't deal with who, either. Science studies mechanism, it studies how, not who.
    You propose a designer, responsible for the universe. Yet you can provide no evidence for this designer other than references in an ancient book of folklore. By that metric I could propose the universe was created by orcs, or cosmic mice, with the same authority.

• Like Like x 3
  2. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    I don't. You make biased opinionated accusation without any basis.

Don't tell me that. I don't need to hear it. Tell that to the person who keeps talking about scientific evidence in relation to a supernatural.

That's not true. That's your biased opinionated view talking.

Clearly, if you believe that, then you haven't been paying attention - just expressing your biased opinionated view... imo.

3. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    For the umpteenth time. .. please get your facts straight.
    Evidence - Wikipedia
    That's the last time I go through this with you.

4. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,185
    Religion:
    Atheist
    My facts are straight. We were specifically discussing scientific evidence. To back to post #557 and you will see that you asked using that term. So to help you:

Scientific evidence - Wikipedia

"Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientific theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and interpretation in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls."

I like that definition because it is clear and concise and reasonable. If a person is not willing to test his idea then he cannot claim to have any evidence for that idea.

When you could not come up with a reasonable test of your idea you admitted to having no scientific evidence for it. And I can find this same definition at various other sources. It is the definition that scientists use.

So once again, what reasonable test could falsify your theory if it is wrong?

And though you accuse others of being rude it is amazing that you cannot see it in yourself. Here you were obviously wrong and yet you accused me of not getting my facts straight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,647
    What evidence is there for the supernatural?

6. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,829
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It wasn't meant to be an argument, only was meant to point out the deficiency of your evidence.
    By the way, sorry for the slow response time....Life happens. LOL

7. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    If your intention is to point out deficiencies, then just making statements - which are claims really - does nothing. I think you need to demonstrate or show how the evidence is deficient.
    Take all the time you need. The forums aren't going anywhere... yet. :)

8. ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey St. James VII

Ratings:
    +48
    Religion:
    Christian but not like some ... Unorthodox I guess, but not really. I'm just me.

... Or maybe it's an evolutionary phenomena or a adaptation to certain surroundings. If you could go to venus and set up shop, gravity would be different, the atmosphere different also ... so on so s forth. Also like here ... this continent that continent under water in air ... We grow differently here obviously, so somewhere like Venus where things are drastically different, you gotta wonder, or I at least gotta wonder how one of us would turn out. would we be base and instinctual only, or would we still have mind from which we navigate?