• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for YHWH that is not evidence for the IPU

This is a continuation from another thread, "Why Don't You Believe?" which can be found here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10896

NetDoc-- You and I appear to both contend that our beliefs (or paradigms) are contingent upon evidence. If that is the case, I challenge you (en garde! :D ) to submit any evidence for YHWH that is not also evidence for the Invisible Pink Unicorn. (Others, of course, are free to join in :) .) Be careful, now! You'd be surprised how easily a dedicated IPU apologist such as myself can twist anything and everything into evidence for Her Holiness. Personally, I suspect you will have to retreat into some kind of Divine Revelation argument....but we'll see.

The reason I ask you to present evidence for YHWH that is not also evidence for the Invisible Pink Unicorn is because I think there is a double-standard when it comes to evidence for your (not you personally, NetDoc...people in general) god and other people's gods. I think that, if most believers applied the same standards of evidence to their god as they do to other gods, they would have to either reject their own god or accept all gods.

I just can't say it any better than Stephen Roberts: "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." [color added for emphasis]

No*s

Captain Obvious
You know me. I wouldn't be any fun here for you :D. The closest I come to this is making an argument for the historocity of Christ.

No*s said:
You know me. I wouldn't be any fun here for you
biggrin.gif
. The closest I come to this is making an argument for the historocity of Christ.
I find reading your posts to be very fun, No*s.

Just as an example....someone (we'll say, Roderick) could bring up the fact that some people can "feel" deep down the presence and will of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. In that case, I would ask Roderick about those who can "feel" deep down the presence and will of all the other gods. Roderick would respond, no doubt, that these people actually feel YHWH's presence, but they have misinterpreted it.

In that case, being the good IPU apologist that I am, I would reply that those who "feel" YHWH's existence are actually feeling the Awesome power of the IPU....they are simply misinterpreting their feelings.

Note that apologists for both gods suggest that everyone misinterprets what they are feeling....or, rather, everyone else misinterprets them. Their own feelings are infallible, apparently.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Mr_Spinkles said:
I find reading your posts to be very fun, No*s.

Well thank you Spinks :p.

Mr_Spinkles said:
Just as an example....someone (we'll say, Roderick) could bring up the fact that some people can "feel" deep down the presence and will of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. In that case, I would ask Roderick about those who can "feel" deep down the presence and will of all the other gods. Roderick would respond, no doubt, that these people actually feel YHWH's presence, but they have misinterpreted it.

In that case, being the good IPU apologist that I am, I would reply that those who "feel" YHWH's existence are actually feeling the Awesome power of the IPU....they are simply misinterpreting their feelings.

Note that apologists for both gods suggest that everyone misinterprets what they are feeling....or, rather, everyone else misinterprets them. Their own feelings are infallible, apparently.

In that case, I would ask "What has the IPU ever done?" My faith in Christ isn't entirely a feeling. It's also because I believe in the resurrection, that God was active before that, and God is still active. Things like the Holy Light, the occasional prophet or miracle, all strengthen my faith even if I couldn't put any of them under scientific scrutiny (well except the Holy Light).

If the IPU has acted and someone says they feel her tug on their heart, I'll simply have them go on about their business except where we can discuss and debate, which won't be in many places :).

Saw11_2000

Can someone explain to me what this "Invisable Pink Unicorn" is? Is it some way to measure up the beliefs of theists with something we know doens't exist, I've heard multiple people use it and I'm very confused. Thank you.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Saw11_2000 said:
Can someone explain to me what this "Invisable Pink Unicorn" is? Is it some way to measure up the beliefs of theists with something we know doens't exist, I've heard multiple people use it and I'm very confused. Thank you.

It's a parody of God in that she is a unicorn that is both invisible and pink. The idea is to design her in such a way that arguments for the existance of God can also apply to her.

Saw11_2000

Oh...alright....you guys can't come up with anything more creative than the "invisable pink unicorn"?

At least try the ADHD Diagnosed Orange 15-Toed Homophobic Sloth.

Master Vigil

But Limbo, Her Holiness could have made those prophecies possible, and the people who wrote the bible mistakingly (since humans make so many of those :D) attributed them to yahweh.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
First evidence for Christianity...

God's law flies in the face of contemporary thought, and yet proves out in the end.

Take the cleanliness laws of Leviticus. IF they had followed those laws during the Black Plague, it would not have been nearly as severe. Yet, the court of Pharoah (where Moses was taught) knew nothing of "clean" and "unclean". To whit, ancient heiroglyphs instruct the court physician to rub horse manure into any laceration.

Does the IPU have any such teachings that flew in the face of contemporary "knowledge" only to be validated over time?

Our good Vigil is not reaching at all, Limbo. For an omnipotent unicorn, anything and everything is possible.

In fact, I would argue that once we invoke the supernatural, all explanations become equally plausible.

linwood

God's law flies in the face of contemporary thought, and yet proves out in the end.

Perhaps but God flunks consistency.
Unless of course you`re telling me I should stone my eldest son to death because he was a smartass to his mother yesterday.
Or maybe I should run a knife through that gay guy I work with tomorrow.
Perhaps I should run a knife through myself for getting a haircut last week.

Hmm..I dunno Doc.

Does the IPU have any such teachings that flew in the face of contemporary "knowledge" only to be validated over time?

Yes she does...
From the Revelation of the Lost Prophetess of AOL

Also ye may know that ye have been especially blessed if you find that one of your socks has gone missing. Surely a sign from Her Horniness. If anyone questions why ye are missing a sock, simply reply "My Mistress had need of it." No one is certain what She does with the socks, but rejoice for ye were chosen to make this sacrifice.

You will always lose a sock in the dryer if you are a chosen one

linwood

I'm sorry, I thought I was in a forum where people discussed ideas, instead of evading them with lame double-talk.

OMG!
The irony, the hypocrisy!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:
I believe the content of the above statement is what this thread is meant to evidence.
That was truly funny..thanks.

Please answer my question Limbo.

Please explain how it couldn`t have been Her Pinkness that fulfilled Biblical prophecy.

Master Vigil

Limbo, I don't see it as closed minded at all, but the opposite. It is indeed possible that the god of the bible is not the only god, it is possible that there are no gods at all, etc... The Invisible Pink Unicorn is simply just another omniscient, omnipotent god. Don't focus too much on the name, but the concept. Thats the point. There is no evidence for yahweh that can't be used to support Her Holiness. All gods either are able to have the same evidence, or no evidence. So, what evidence is there that yahweh is the only god? Can you prove that The Invisible Pink Unicorn didn't inspire the bible, and the people who wrote it mistankingly attributed it to yahweh?

linwood

Are you calling me a hypocrite? Just want to be sure here. If so, please quote me evading an arguement.

Not necessarily evading an argument.
evading a question I can quote you doing.

I asked ..

Please explain how it couldn`t have been Her Pinkness that fulfilled Biblical prophecy.

And you said...

Are you calling me a hypocrite? Just want to be sure here. If so, please quote me evading an arguement.

Can you answer the question?

NetDoc said:
Take the cleanliness laws of Leviticus. IF they had followed those laws during the Black Plague, it would not have been nearly as severe.
And what about IF they had worshipped false idols during the Black Plague? Would it have been more severe? :p Oh right, I forgot....we ignore all the laws that are not beneficial, or have no effect.

By the way....does it say in the OT that the cleanliness laws are meant to destroy tiny micro organisms which cause things like the plague? (That would be something!) Or is it just a ritual that they followed because "it's written!" and it just so happens that it is beneficial for health as well?

NetDoc said:
You are absolutely right, NetDoc. In ancient times, most people thought it savage and unjust to stone a person to death for committing adultery....but this Divinely-inspired Old Testament law "proved out" in the end, and now all civilized societies practice it. :rolleyes:

Lots of ancient peoples had lots of laws, NetDoc....many of them attributed to some divine law-giver(s). That some of those laws were beneficial to humanity is not indicative of the validity of the claimed source of those laws. I would even concede that the fact that some of those laws were harmful to humanity does not indicate the nonexistence of the supposed god(s).

NetDoc said:
No, but many ancient peoples had teachings that flew in the face of contemporary knowledge only to be validated over time. The Hebrews weren't the only ones. If your evidence is a valid indicator of the existence of God(s), you should also believe in the gods of the Aztecs, the Greeks, the Babylonians, the Native Americans, etc. At any rate, the fact that She gave the Hebrews the cleanliness laws in Leviticus despite their worshipping a false god just proves Her unending love for us.

linwood

Linwood, about the question that Master Vigil posted. It is slightly different in wording from the one you asked. Could you re-phrase it?

Why claimed the IPU couldn`t have fulfilled Biblical prophecy.
I would like to know why she couldn`t have done so.

I have another question for the believers.
Something that I must confess has shaken my faith just a bit and I`m hoping for some support.

If her Pinkness were to look in a mirror, could she see herself?

Please forgive my lack of faith and humor me.