• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for YHWH that is not evidence for the IPU

Master Vigil

I didn't get my list of fallacies from a website. I got it from reading, studying, and understanding logic. But if you must have a source, here's a good one...

Introduction to Logic, 12th ed. Irving M. Copi, Carl Cohen. (perhaps you should read it.)

There are actually more that I didn't post, such as Ad Ignorantium, Presumption, Petitio Principii, Composition (which you neglect to understand), etc... And those are just basic formal fallacies. We won't get into syllogistic fallacies of term usages and valid/invalid forms.

linwood

Wow, stay away for a weekend and see what happens?
This thread blew up.

I`ve read through from where I left off and don`t have anything to add to the logical fallacies or the improper use of context for your prophecies Limbo but I`d just like to get one thing cleared up from our earlier posts you never answered (among other).

Anytime you are dealing with the Alexandrian texts, you are dealing with corrupted texts. They are the Gnostic gospels, which the Bible warns against the Gnostic teachings.

Those same warnings are within the
Codex Sinaiticus itself.
It contains the OT and the NT in their oldest tracable forms.
It contains two other books which I am assuming you place your assertion on "The Sheperd of Hermas" and the "Epistle of Barnabus".
While these two later books are not canonical (actually Barnabus was) and were considered false by many early Christians many others found them necessary if not "divine".
Eusebius and Origin for example.
While Iraneus called the The Sheperd of Hermas false he did not rail against it as heresy as he did the Gnostic Gospels.
The Codex Sinaiticus is NOT Gnostic nor is it heretical, the vast majority of it is canonized and accepted by mainstream theologians as valid.
You are going to have to give me some support for your assertion that the Sinaiticus is Gnostic.
Please tell me what you base this assertion on.

Limbo said:
I do not dismiss them [the gods of other religions ~Spinks] one bit. In fact, I probably believe in them more than you do. There are countless stories of Fallen Angels and gods of the Bible. Many of the gods worshipped were actually fallen angels and demons. They are abundant. There is no reason a Christian can't believe that there were talking snakes, cursed fig trees, and virgin births.
I'm afraid you've fallen into the line of thinking that I talked about in the OP, where apologists for each religion accuse all religions (except their own, of course) of attributing miracles incorrectly. There simply is no basis for you to claim that the gods of other religions are fallen angels from your religion.....or at least, there is no more basis for you to claim that than there is for me to claim that YHWH was actually a fallen Unicorn. ;)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hey I never thought of that possibility SPinks... the leaders of the other religions are the angels God threw down? NAW... they aren't eternal enough. :D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
FeathersinHair said:
Actually, Master Vigil tends to be quite accurate in stating where he gets information. More often, it's simply because he knows it offhand, though.

I think you would get a lot more people willing to help you debate if were kinder to those around you. (And maybe said you were honestly sorry to those you have been not very nice to.)
(This is off-topic, but I'm just curious: would any of you take this as offensive? )

Yerda

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
(This is off-topic, but I'm just curious: would any of you take this as offensive? )
(Strikes me as particularly accurate, but people take offense at the strangest things. Best not to worry).