• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euthanasia

What does your religion or worldview tell you about the practice of euthanasia?

• Euthanasia is acceptable for all living creatures under the right circumstances.

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Euthanasia is acceptable under the right circumstances for all living creatures except humans.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Euthanasia is unacceptable under any circumstance.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

Blisters

I don't have anything against it nor do I judge anyone who's undergone euthanasia. I do not believe one has to continue suffering needlessly just because it'd be more comfortable for others around.
If your beloved pet gets sick beyond repair, you put it down. (and in that case, the Pet doesn't even get a choice)
I believe human beings should not be kept alive when they are too sick to get better and want to die, just because having them around is more comfortable than visiting their grave. I think *THAT* is selfish.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What does your religion or worldview tell you about the practice of euthanasia?

Actively taking a human life is murder, but allowing someone with a terminal illness to hasten death by natural means is passive euthanasia.
It is assisted dying in a way...but it is passive, not active. A person has the right to refuse to eat or drink and thereby speed up an agonizing process. There is no law of God or man that forces a person live in agony and without human dignity. Organ failure will take them into a coma and death will be peaceful.

My husband chose this option and his doctor supported his decision, as did the rest of his family, administering a syringe driver with medication to keep him pain free and relaxed as the inevitable breakdown of his weakened body took place.

If you select the first or second choice, or favor euthanasia under "other," what do you consider to be a right circumstance?
As above.....for someone who has no quality of life left, and for whom continuing life is just continuing unnecessary suffering.....it makes no sense to me to put an animal out of its misery, but then to allow a human to go on suffering. What is the point of that?
Under the right circumstances, it is the choice of the one surrendering a life of pain to the peace of death.

GardenLady

I agree with Deeje on the distinction between active versus passive methods. Refusing treatment or food can hasten death without actively taking a life, and medications can provide pain control and relaxation.

A friend of ours persevered through years of ALS, but when it came to the point where he would have needed a permanent respirator, he said no. His wife supported his decision, with great sorrow, but with no doubt.

GardenLady

Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness,

I have heard this said in the past and find it acutely lacking in understanding.

A close friend who attempted suicide (not successfully, I'm glad to say) was so profoundly depressed and so utterly lacking in hope that she believed her death would be the best solution not only for her but for her loved ones. Multiple doctors and friends were unable to ameliorate her suffering. To call suicide by a person in that situation selfishness is cruel. It's an illness, and one that sometimes defies efforts to relieve it.