• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euthanasia

What does your religion or worldview tell you about the practice of euthanasia?

• Euthanasia is acceptable for all living creatures under the right circumstances.

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Euthanasia is acceptable under the right circumstances for all living creatures except humans.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Euthanasia is unacceptable under any circumstance.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I doubt laws against suicide or discretely performed euthanasia can be enforced.

Perhaps true for the individual, but we have assistants sometimes. It's easier for the terminally ill in a country where it is a legal option. My daughter's friend, who was terminally ill from copper poisoning, facing a lifetime of bedridden pain and misery, once informed of his options, got a compassionate doctor on his side, and managed to get euthanized. Even 10 years back, (this is Canada) that would have been impossible. A compassionate person willing to help him could have been charged with murder. Legality makes it easier and safer, just as it does with abortion, prostitution, certain drug use, and other situations in life.

Suave

Simulated character
Perhaps true for the individual, but we have assistants sometimes. It's easier for the terminally ill in a country where it is a legal option. My daughter's friend, who was terminally ill from copper poisoning, facing a lifetime of bedridden pain and misery, once informed of his options, got a compassionate doctor on his side, and managed to get euthanized. Even 10 years back, (this is Canada) that would have been impossible. A compassionate person willing to help him could have been charged with murder. Legality makes it easier and safer, just as it does with abortion, prostitution, certain drug use, and other situations in life.
Could not one just place a pillowcase over their head to self suffocate? Why involve a doctor? If somebody refuses to off himself, why should this person lacking self courage be killed by somebody else?

firedragon

Veteran Member

If you select the first or second choice, or favor euthanasia under "other," what do you consider to be a right circumstance?

Ah. This is a big topic I suppose. There is nothing concrete in terms of the Quran. As per scholars of Islam, people have disagreed. The thing is, in the Quran there is a verse that says "do not kill yourselves" which seems to refer to suicide. BUT, I wonder if euthanasia is classified as suicide.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Could not one just place a pillowcase over their head to self suffocate? Why involve a doctor? If somebody refuses to off himself, why should this person lacking self courage be killed by somebody else?
As far as I know that's physically impossible, as once you lose consciousness, the suffocating stops, and then you regain consciousness. Of course there are other methods, like drug overdose, provided nobody catches you in time. The young man in my example had already thrown himself out of the hospital window twice, in desperation, but didn't manage to be successful. Without the legality, doctors and nurses are obliged to save the life. He couldn't walk to get drugs, so somebody would have to aid him. I know my daughter wasn't willing to take that chance.

MatthewA

If you select the first or second choice, or favor euthanasia under "other," what do you consider to be a right circumstance?

Hello SalixIncendium:

Had to go look up what euthanasia meant.

According to this dictionary : Websters New World dictionary

euthanasia: - n. [(Gr. euthanasia: - painless; happy death < eu- well + thanatos; death : See THANATO-]

1. An easy and painless death
2. Act or method of causing death painlessly ~ so to as end suffering: advocated by some as a way to deal with persons dying of incurable; painful diseases.

Your question ask if someone and their personal religion or world view ~ Tells you about the practice of euthanasia?

Interesting question; never been asked anything about it before.

When it comes down to euthanasia; can not say that all death will be painless. Because death can come at any moment in time through out ones lifetime. Some people who have died, and been brought back by doctors.

Some people experience euthanasia by dying in their sleep ~ Assuredly ~ in my belief (According to what is said by the Lord Jesus Christ, and God) is that all people will be resurrected at the end of life.

John 5:29 - Jesus talks about resurrection for two types (unbelievers - believers)
John 11:25-26 - Jesus said that he is the resurrection and life ~)

You might believe that you might not. But these are some of my thoughts on euthanasia, my viewpoint according to my thoughts and belief of what the bible says which anyone may disagree with my view point and that is okay, thank you for reading.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
It depends on a lot of things...my big problem is who gets to decide what life is worth living? But once it's been decided by the patient and by a doctor that that person has no quality of life or chance of recovery...then it's ok. But there has to be a doctor involved in that decision and the person(and if they can't make that decision someone who knows them well) must both be involved. Also it can't be for trivial reasons similar to eugenics like an intellectual disability or autism. That's what I am afraid of is this being used for such things. The person being put down would have to have been suffering.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Hello SalixIncendium:

Had to go look up what euthanasia meant.

According to this dictionary : Websters New World dictionary

euthanasia: - n. [(Gr. euthanasia: - painless; happy death < eu- well + thanatos; death : See THANATO-]

1. An easy and painless death
2. Act or method of causing death painlessly ~ so to as end suffering: advocated by some as a way to deal with persons dying of incurable; painful diseases.

Your question ask if someone and their personal religion or world view ~ Tells you about the practice of euthanasia?

Interesting question; never been asked anything about it before.

When it comes down to euthanasia; can not say that all death will be painless. Because death can come at any moment in time through out ones lifetime. Some people who have died, and been brought back by doctors.

Some people experience euthanasia by dying in their sleep ~ Assuredly ~ in my belief (According to what is said by the Lord Jesus Christ, and God) is that all people will be resurrected at the end of life.

John 5:29 - Jesus talks about resurrection for two types (unbelievers - believers)
John 11:25-26 - Jesus said that he is the resurrection and life ~)

You might believe that you might not. But these are some of my thoughts on euthanasia, my viewpoint according to my thoughts and belief of what the bible says which anyone may disagree with my view point and that is okay, thank you for reading.
The word euthanasia here is referring to putting someone or an animal out of their misery like in the case of the second defination. To end a life in order to end that living creature's suffering.

MatthewA

The word euthanasia here is referring to putting someone or an animal out of their misery like in the case of the second defination. To end a life in order to end that living creature's suffering.

Hello, yes it seems so Rayoflight.

Have to bring out the dictionary out sometimes so know what we are talking about these days make sure got the word right and everything haha. Am getting old, but it helps a lot with understanding.

Heyo

Veteran Member

As I think of liberty as one of the three basic pillars of morality, euthanasia in the form of suicide or assisted suicide is OK.
The moment the candidate can't consent, things get complicated.

VoidCat

As I think of liberty as one of the three basic pillars of morality, euthanasia in the form of suicide or assisted suicide is OK.
The moment the candidate can't consent, things get complicated.
My biggest fear with the whole thing is it being used like eugenics. Like people killing off disabled folk who are ok with being disabled because their legal guardian or a person with power of authority doesn't agree that their life is worth living. When the person can't consent it does get real complex.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I notice most of the focus in the thread so far has been on human life, but I'd like to add that, while I feel animal euthanasia is acceptable in some cases, I think people overuse it. I know many people use it when they don't want to be burdened with an aging, expensive, or inconvenient pet and they feel rehoming would be too difficult.

I have a dog that I was asked repetitively "why don't you put that thing down?" She has genetic leg deformities in her hind legs that cause her to look and move a bit off. We did look at surgical options at one point, but it would have taken about a 5th of our yearly income, and the success rate wasn't all that great. It wasn't an option. We ended up getting her another dog to play with to stretch those muscles(she was becoming too sedentary), and that worked great. She moves around like a three legged dog. She is not in pain, and manages just fine on the stairs(we have a lot of them here).

If a person would put her down, it would be because her condition bothers them, not her.

Another example I can remember was a cat we had years back. He was elderly, and had a myriad of health problems. One morning we woke up, and it was clear the cat would not last the day. We thought it would be a matter of hours. We talked about having him euthanized, but my husband had a gut feeling this wasn't the right thing to do. He was my oldest son's best friend in the whole world, and we thought maybe he was hanging on to say good bye(my son was at school when we discovered him). Well, my son got home, and they spent some time together. We left to get dinner, thinking that the cat would have departed by the time we got home. He hadn't. My son set up a "going away party" the cat. They played bored games, and read books, and had snacks(the cat couldn't eat them, of course). Eventually my son fell asleep. Within a few minutes of my son falling asleep, the cat passed on. In my view, it was clear that cat had wanted to hold out for his friend, and spend some time together before he shuffled off. To have euthanized him that morning would have interfered with his rights and wishes.

VoidCat

I notice most of the focus in the thread so far has been on human life, but I'd like to add that, while I feel animal euthanasia is acceptable in some cases, I think people overuse it. I know many people use it when they don't want to be burdened with an aging, expensive, or inconvenient pet and they feel rehoming would be too difficult.

I have a dog that I was asked repetitively "why don't you put that thing down?" She has genetic leg deformities in her hind legs that cause her to look and move a bit off. We did look at surgical options at one point, but it would have taken about a 5th of our yearly income, and the success rate wasn't all that great. It wasn't an option. We ended up getting her another dog to play with to stretch those muscles(she was becoming too sedentary), and that worked great. She moves around like a three legged dog. She is not in pain, and manages just fine on the stairs(we have a lot of them here).

If a person would put her down, it would be because her condition bothers them, not her.

Another example I can remember was a cat we had years back. He was elderly, and had a myriad of health problems. One morning we woke up, and it was clear the cat would not last the day. We thought it would be a matter of hours. We talked about having him euthanized, but my husband had a gut feeling this wasn't the right thing to do. He was my oldest son's best friend in the whole world, and we thought maybe he was hanging on to say good bye(my son was at school when we discovered him). Well, my son got home, and they spent some time together. We left to get dinner, thinking that the cat would have departed by the time we got home. He hadn't. My son set up a "going away party" the cat. They played bored games, and read books, and had snacks(the cat couldn't eat them, of course). Eventually my son fell asleep. Within a few minutes of my son falling asleep, the cat passed on. In my view, it was clear that cat had wanted to hold out for his friend, and spend some time together before he shuffled off. To have euthanized him that morning would have interfered with his rights and wishes.
True. My grandma has a dog that has has had 3 back surgeries and another dog who has had eye surgery. If she can help the animal she will but if it's too much money or the animal is gonna suffer she'll put it down. Usually tho she tries to get help if needed.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I chose:

Euthanasia is acceptable for all living creatures under the right circumstances.​

based upon this definition of euthanasia:

the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.​

What does your religion or worldview tell you about the practice of euthanasia?...

Bible tells, “don’t murder”. I think euthanasia is murder, which is why I don’t like it. But, obviously, suicide is basically only problem for the person who kills himself and therefore not as bad as killing someone else against his will.

I think the greatest problem with legalizing euthanasia is that I believe it eventually will be used against people and many people who could have wanted to live, will be killed by enticing, deceiving and by other mean that are meant to make the person think it is the best thing, even though it is not necessary so. I believe it will be eventually used when people want to get rid of someone who is in some way burden for them, that is my main reason why I am against it.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Bible tells, “don’t murder”. I think euthanasia is murder, which is why I don’t like it. But, obviously, suicide is basically only problem for the person who kills himself and therefore not as bad as killing someone else against his will.

I think the greatest problem with legalizing euthanasia is that I believe it eventually will be used against people and many people who could have wanted to live, will be killed by enticing, deceiving and by other mean that are meant to make the person think it is the best thing, even though it is not necessary so. I believe it will be eventually used when people want to get rid of someone who is in some way burden for them, that is my main reason why I am against it.
Death with Dignity Acts

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As far as I know that's physically impossible, as once you lose consciousness, the suffocating stops, and then you regain consciousness.
You won't even get to the point of passing out, because you'll panic due to lack of oxygen after about 5 or so seconds (it varies, obviously) and stop it. It's an automatic survival instinct from the brain. It's very hard to kill yourself.

Suave

Simulated character
You won't even get to the point of passing out, because you'll panic due to lack of oxygen after about 5 or so seconds (it varies, obviously) and stop it. It's an automatic survival instinct from the brain. It's very hard to kill yourself.

Well if somebody can't off himself by self suffocation, then I suppose somebody might still be able to off himself by hanging with bed sheets tied around his neck. Right?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well if somebody can't off himself by self suffocation, then I suppose somebody might still be able to off himself by hanging with bed sheets tied around his neck. Right?
Well, yeah. Hanging is a different animal. But the pillow over the face won't work, unless you have someone else doing it and who is strong. Lol.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Merriam-Webster defines euthanasia as the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (such as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy.

While assisted suicide certainly qualifies as euthanasia, I'm not sure taking one's own life would qualify.
I think probably that it must -- most suicides are those who cannot face living any more, and since dying is preferable, it must qualify as euthanasia, which really just means "good death."