• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal damnation how bad can it be

dfnj

Most people have already grown accustomed to and have adapted to all of the hell in themselves, the hell that happens to them, to others, and all of the hell on Earth, ‘that’s just how life is supposed to be.’ ‘That’s just normal life.’ Never digging deeper as to why, or how to potentially modify themselves, or the root causes, or how to prevent. Just going with the mundane mindless herd mentality.

New Jersey! The scary thing is we have all our parents strengths and we have all our parent's weaknesses. We are not just like our parents. WE ARE OUR PARENTS! This why we have religion.

David T

Premium Member
I have a slightly different but similar point of view. When we die, if we turn away from looking into the face of God, we are immediately given omnipotent powers. We can then live out every possible experience imaginable of our own creation until we have enough self-esteem to turn back and face God directly.
Sounds like we might have an eternity to work out our insanity in our insanity. Oh my....

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If you are in Heaven experiencing eternally Heavenly bliss I doubt you will care or have the time to care about anything else than just experiencing bliss.

But what is this eternal bliss? something like a constant orgasm? I guess it must also be an irrational number.

Ciso

- viole

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Nothing special. Just the google definition:

"perfect happiness; great joy.

reach a state of perfect happiness, typically so as to be oblivious of everything else."

I would be happy to be so joyful as to be oblivious of everything else. Maybe "Heavenly Bliss" is dictated by subjective judgments. As long as I am oblivious to everything that would cause me pain and frustration I'm all in! This is why I do drugs. What!?!? It just came out. I'm trying to be honest.

Oblivion=the cessation of opposites

Road Less Traveled

What if Hitler has no intentions of ever changing, and is totally incapable of change?

Then it would be best to just punish him for the measure of his crimes, and then cease him to exist. No sense in having an eternal damnation.

Or perhaps there is some master creator adjustments that can be made to the soul. Omniscience should be able to fix the soul because there is not one thing God could not do to the entity of the soul. Taking away that which was abused might seem to have an appreciation affect on any individual.

Hell would be the absence of goodness. That might be the fix. Or it might not change him one bit. It might make him worse. I tend to think it would help because that is brutal what he did.

If I were a maligned creator and designer of a place and souls. I’d make sure all of my kind and chosen ones were well off. Easy living, wealth, fame, talents, positions of power and authority all throughout all of my institutions. I’d forgive them of their evil because I’d be evil myself, and anything good I’d just keep putting through the ringer and not forgive them, because I made their souls and they are my possession. They would be just ignorant slaves admiring my place, looking up to and listening to my authorities, ignorantly contributing, idolizing my kind, praising and worshipping me as their daddy. They’d get quite accustomed to and adapt to hell and even thank me for it.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
I think God would use His omnipotent powers to create some kind of rehabilitation program for souls who need it. It probably would be classified under one of God's greatest possible blessings a soul could receive.

That is a great thought. I was raised up in a fundamentalist Baptist church that spent 90% of its time pushing the idea of a loving God who loves us so much that He will torture forever in the most unimaginable way, anyone that doesn't love Him back in the prescribed manner. The results... I grew up with a twisted view of what God defines as love and tons of phobias due to this. Now after years of struggle with my upbringing under the concept of a very angry God, I choose to believe that He surely (hopefully) is not as eternally ticked off at people in general. The thought of eternal torture for mistakes made in such a short time here on earth just doesn't make any sense. This is not, however, a topic that I take lightly.

....As long as everyone experiences Heavenly bliss it's all good. Life is too short and frustrating to take or have so much joy in other people's suffering. I think God loves each us with no conditions. It doesn't matter what happens in our lives. God forgives everything equally. ....

I believe God forgives, but I think it is also good to understand, eternal life is for righteous, not for unrighteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

If unrighteous would get eternal life, they would turn it to eternal suffering for all. That is why I believe God gives eternal life only for righteous people. They have right understanding and live well and love as God has told.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If I were a maligned creator and designer of a place and souls. I’d make sure all of my kind and chosen ones were well off. Easy living, wealth, fame, talents, positions of power and authority all throughout all of my institutions. I’d forgive them of their evil because I’d be evil myself, and anything good I’d just keep putting through the ringer and not forgive them, because I made their souls and they are my possession. They would be just ignorant slaves admiring my place, looking up to and listening to my authorities, ignorantly contributing, idolizing my kind, praising and worshipping me as their daddy. They’d get quite accustomed to and adapt to hell and even thank me for it.

After awhile they'd rebel.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
When do you think they’d be more ripe for rebellion, when they’ve suffered enough?

After an ion of needless suffering they'd begin to self reflect and slowly, torturously they would get to know themselves. Then they would get to know the evil before them. Then they would figure out the long string that their malevolent god has them on. Then the rebellion would happen.

It all starts with the realization that its better to fight for one's life then to passively accept blindly that one is not worthy of anything.

Road Less Traveled

After an ion of needless suffering they'd begin to self reflect and slowly, torturously they would get to know themselves. Then they would get to know the evil before them. Then they would figure out the long string that their malevolent god has them on. Then the rebellion would happen.

It all starts with the realization that its better to fight for one's life then to passively accept blindly that one is not worthy of anything.

That they are not just another number in the machine?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I once had an argument with a born again Christian on the nature of God. I really got this guy upset and he started talking about eternal damnation and where my soul was going to go when I die. I said, "How bad can it be? It can't be worse than living in New Jersey." He did not crack a smile.

I had to work with this guy so I tried to smooth things over by talking about the metaphysics of Hell. I told him the suffering Hell cannot be repetitive because you would get use to it. I said the suffering in Hell had to be like an irrational number, that is, never ending and never repeating otherwise you would get used to it. With a glean in his eye and the smile on his face like an angry wolf about to devour fresh meat he said, "Yeah, that's it." He was actually very please with the idea I would suffer for all eternity in the worse possible way imaginable. At the time, I genuinely felt sorry for him for having so much hate in his heart.

I think a God of unconditional love would be a little more forgiving. I imagine God would use His omnipotent powers of forgiveness to forgive even Hitler. So for me, it doesn't matter who gets into Heaven to experience eternally Heavenly bliss. As long as everyone experiences Heavenly bliss it's all good. Life is too short and frustrating to take or have so much joy in other people's suffering. I think God loves each us with no conditions. It doesn't matter what happens in our lives. God forgives everything equally.

This is what makes God so great! God is capable of levels of love unimaginable by spiteful, hateful, revengeful human beings. I think my way of thinking is true because based on human experiments there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. I don't think God is indifferent or doesn't care. I just think God is just very quick to forgive and is always giving people second, third, and fourth chances for us to have the opportunity to be the best they can be.

Have you noticed how both of you have done some major projection into God ?

Road Less Traveled

Not only that. But that the machine is cruel and they dont deserve to be in it.

This all sounds something like The Matrix, only that there is a malevolent God at the end.

But lots of my teachers and institutions teach them that it’s their faults, that humans are to blame, that they’ve been bad humans with their free will, that they are indebted to my universe and owe it, that they are irrelevant and nothing unique, that they’ve chosen their lives they just all don’t remember, that this is fair and just, and beautiful, that they’ve manifested their realities.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you are in Heaven experiencing eternally Heavenly bliss I doubt you will care or have the time to care about anything else than just experiencing bliss.

Heaven and hell are states of being. One can reach heaven and still be living on this earth. One may very well be in hell, also living on this earth. They represent nearness or remoteness from God.

Regards Tony

Road Less Traveled

Heaven and hell are states of being. One can reach heaven and still be living on this earth. One may very well be in hell, also living on this earth. They represent nearness or remoteness from God.

Regards Tony

I thought that I reached heaven on Earth, until I realized I was still here and still have to participate in some things I don’t want to, and almost everything around me was still in hell. Help a few out a little, and 1 million more are just born into it.

So, no matter how serene my own life is, it’s never serene seeing and feeling the suffering and pain all around me in others.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought that I reached heaven on Earth, until I realized I was still here and still have to participate in some things I don’t want to, and almost everything around me was still in hell. Help a few out a little, and 1 million more are just born into it.

So, no matter how serene my own life is, it’s never serene seeing and feeling the suffering and pain all around me in others.

I see it is not at all about how serene our own life is, or what we want in life. I consider those that are close to God have chosen death, persecution and suffering over ease in this life.

Thus heaven is submission to God and always thankful for all that we will face in this life. In turn, heaven is service to all humanity in preference to self.

Regards Tony