• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal damnation how bad can it be

dfnj

I once had an argument with a born again Christian on the nature of God. I really got this guy upset and he started talking about eternal damnation and where my soul was going to go when I die. I said, "How bad can it be? It can't be worse than living in New Jersey." He did not crack a smile.

I had to work with this guy so I tried to smooth things over by talking about the metaphysics of Hell. I told him the suffering Hell cannot be repetitive because you would get use to it. I said the suffering in Hell had to be like an irrational number, that is, never ending and never repeating otherwise you would get used to it. With a glean in his eye and the smile on his face like an angry wolf about to devour fresh meat he said, "Yeah, that's it." He was actually very please with the idea I would suffer for all eternity in the worse possible way imaginable. At the time, I genuinely felt sorry for him for having so much hate in his heart.

I think a God of unconditional love would be a little more forgiving. I imagine God would use His omnipotent powers of forgiveness to forgive even Hitler. So for me, it doesn't matter who gets into Heaven to experience eternally Heavenly bliss. As long as everyone experiences Heavenly bliss it's all good. Life is too short and frustrating to take or have so much joy in other people's suffering. I think God loves each us with no conditions. It doesn't matter what happens in our lives. God forgives everything equally.

This is what makes God so great! God is capable of levels of love unimaginable by spiteful, hateful, revengeful human beings. I think my way of thinking is true because based on human experiments there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. I don't think God is indifferent or doesn't care. I just think God is just very quick to forgive and is always giving people second, third, and fourth chances for us to have the opportunity to be the best they can be.

JJ50

Heaven with the evil god character of the Bible would be eternal damnation of the worst kind.:mad:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What if Hitler has no intentions of ever changing, and is totally incapable of change?

Then it would be best to just punish him for the measure of his crimes, and then cease him to exist. No sense in having an eternal damnation.

Or perhaps there is some master creator adjustments that can be made to the soul. Omniscience should be able to fix the soul because there is not one thing God could not do to the entity of the soul. Taking away that which was abused might seem to have an appreciation affect on any individual.

Hell would be the absence of goodness. That might be the fix. Or it might not change him one bit. It might make him worse. I tend to think it would help because that is brutal what he did.

dfnj

Heaven with the evil god character of the Bible would be eternal damnation of the worst kind.:mad:

If you are in Heaven experiencing eternally Heavenly bliss I doubt you will care or have the time to care about anything else than just experiencing bliss.

dfnj

What if Hitler has no intentions of ever changing, and is totally incapable of change?

Then it would be best to just punish him for the measure of his crimes, and then cease him to exist. No sense in having an eternal damnation.

Or perhaps there is some master creator adjustments that can be made to the soul. Omniscience should be able to fix the soul because there is not one thing God could not do to the entity of the soul. Taking away that which was abused might seem to have an appreciation affect on any individual.

Hell would be the absence of goodness. That might be the fix. Or it might not change him one bit. It might make him worse. I tend to think it would help because that is brutal what he did.

I think God would use His omnipotent powers to create some kind of rehabilitation program for souls who need it. It probably would be classified under one of God's greatest possible blessings a soul could receive.

dfnj

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and disagree. Some even think all you will ever do in heaven is worship God and sing praises. Which I consider a bit robotic.

I think once you are swimming in the pool of Heavenly bliss there's not much left to think about.

JJ50

If you are in Heaven experiencing eternally Heavenly bliss I doubt you will care or have the time to care about anything else than just experiencing bliss.
What is the definition of 'heavenly bliss'?

dfnj

What is the definition of 'heavenly bliss'?

Nothing special. Just the google definition:

"perfect happiness; great joy.

reach a state of perfect happiness, typically so as to be oblivious of everything else."

I would be happy to be so joyful as to be oblivious of everything else. Maybe "Heavenly Bliss" is dictated by subjective judgments. As long as I am oblivious to everything that would cause me pain and frustration I'm all in! This is why I do drugs. What!?!? It just came out. I'm trying to be honest.

LightofTruth

I once had an argument with a born again Christian on the nature of God. I really got this guy upset and he started talking about eternal damnation and where my soul was going to go when I die. I said, "How bad can it be? It can't be worse than living in New Jersey." He did not crack a smile.

I had to work with this guy so I tried to smooth things over by talking about the metaphysics of Hell. I told him the suffering Hell cannot be repetitive because you would get use to it. I said the suffering in Hell had to be like an irrational number, that is, never ending and never repeating otherwise you would get used to it. With a glean in his eye and the smile on his face like an angry wolf about to devour fresh meat he said, "Yeah, that's it." He was actually very please with the idea I would suffer for all eternity in the worse possible way imaginable. At the time, I genuinely felt sorry for him for having so much hate in his heart.

I think a God of unconditional love would be a little more forgiving. I imagine God would use His omnipotent powers of forgiveness to forgive even Hitler. So for me, it doesn't matter who gets into Heaven to experience eternally Heavenly bliss. As long as everyone experiences Heavenly bliss it's all good. Life is too short and frustrating to take or have so much joy in other people's suffering. I think God loves each us with no conditions. It doesn't matter what happens in our lives. God forgives everything equally.

This is what makes God so great! God is capable of levels of love unimaginable by spiteful, hateful, revengeful human beings. I think my way of thinking is true because based on human experiments there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. I don't think God is indifferent or doesn't care. I just think God is just very quick to forgive and is always giving people second, third, and fourth chances for us to have the opportunity to be the best they can be.

Hell = Grave

leov

Hell is where people who like idea of hell gether.

Darkforbid

Well hell does mean grave (nonexistents)

But if you're talking about heavenly punishment of the truly evil its living the existence of your victims, over n over

David T

Premium Member

"I think a God of unconditional love"

Well there ya go you were talking with someone with a sever mental disordering a child. Where the child goes "I love" the adult goes no "i"

I wrote more but i will leave it there. Letcha ponder.

David T

Premium Member
Gee, I don't know. Reality always seems to turn out to be so much stranger than anything we could possibly imagine. I can see myself being utterly astonished to realized the afterlife is a reality.
Oh the "i" is obliterated apart from the remainder. Hell its being only one neuron. Hell is being that for an eternity while every thing else trancends it. It knows its folly was itself forever. Thats hell of the worst kind. And always free to die but never will because it clings to its folly even in hell. Oh things worse than we can imagine i say.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to me that the Christian god in particular behaves as a mirror. People see in it that which reflects their own values. Their god is what they need it to be. If someone feels a need to believe in punishment for the wicked, they see that when the look at the mirror that is the Christian god. If someone feels the need to believe in universal salvation for all, that's what they see when they look in the mirror that is the Christian god. All the while, it reflects on them, not their god. And thus, the importance of minding one's stories is evoked once more...

dfnj

It seems to me that the Christian god in particular behaves as a mirror. People see in it that which reflects their own values. Their god is what they need it to be. If someone feels a need to believe in punishment for the wicked, they see that when the look at the mirror that is the Christian god. If someone feels the need to believe in universal salvation for all, that's what they see when they look in the mirror that is the Christian god. All the while, it reflects on them, not their god. And thus, the importance of minding one's stories is evoked once more...

This is like what happens in the Tibetan Book of the Dead. We are tortured by monsters of our own creation because deep down we know what would work best.

Road Less Traveled

Most people have already grown accustomed to and have adapted to all of the hell in themselves, the hell that happens to them, to others, and all of the hell on Earth, ‘that’s just how life is supposed to be.’ ‘That’s just normal life.’ Never digging deeper as to why, or how to potentially modify themselves, or the root causes, or how to prevent. Just going with the mundane mindless herd mentality. Repeating the same things over and over and over and over and over in various different ways.

Darkforbid

*Christians view of God*

dfnj

Oh the "i" is obliterated apart from the remainder. Hell its being only one neuron. Hell is being that for an eternity while every thing else trancends it. It knows its folly was itself forever. Thats hell of the worst kind. And always free to die but never will because it clings to its folly even in hell. Oh things worse than we can imagine i say.

I have a slightly different but similar point of view. When we die, if we turn away from looking into the face of God, we are immediately given omnipotent powers. We can then live out every possible experience imaginable of our own creation until we have enough self-esteem to turn back and face God directly.