• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email signature?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Panda

42?
Premium Member
OK, I'll be getting my doctorate soon and I'm wondering what is more effective.

#1 Dr. Angellous, Ph.D.

#2 Angellous, Ph.D.

Or just nothing at all.

I'm in academic circles as well as professional circles, working with churches.

In academic circles, it's usually nothing at all, but always accompanied by the position one has:

Angellous
Professor of New Testament
Evangellous Divinity School

But if one is not a professor, or if one simply prefers it, it's #2.

In the professional circles, it's always Dr. X, degree letters.

But there are plenty of people who mix and match.

What's a daddy to do?

Here you normally use Dr Name or Name, Ph.D. I've been told it is wrong to use both. The staff at my uni normally go with
Dr Name (or Prof. Name if they hold a chair)
University
Position
Contact details

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
That strikes me as a bit silly, especially in this context.

I was just letting "Angellous" serve as a form example without attributing any accomplishments or titles to that name.

If someone is confused about that, and thinks that Angellous is anything more, that cannot possibly be my problem.

(and let the reader know that I would incessantly and relentlessly make fun of their stupidity)

I think he just got this thread confused with the one about "who on RF has the lowest IQ" so you should cut him some slack. :D

As for your question, personally I like Door #1, minus the alphabet soup - I mean, it seems redundant. But you should definitely add the word "Esquire."

It will make you look even smarter!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"President For Life!" is so much snappier though.
"Tried, But Never Convicted" is good too, but smacks of braggadocio. (That means put'n on airs.)

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The letters are pretentious. What's relevant, professionally, is conveying useful information about your actual position/occupation.

So I'd recommend, for example

Angellous Evangellous
Associate Professor
New Testament Studies
[email protected]

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2898029 said:
The letters are pretentious. What's relevant, professionally, is conveying useful information about your actual position/occupation.

So I'd recommend, for example

Angellous Evangellous
Associate Professor
New Testament Studies
[email protected]

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with putting "PhD" after the name.

I do agree that in non-academic circles, the "Dr." bit might come off as pretentious.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For a while, I toyed with the idea of gerting a business card made up with every clump of letters after my name that I could justify, includung obscure ones like RST-NG*. I wanted to throw my ham radio callsign in the middle of it to see if anyone would notice.

*Refueling station technician - natural gas

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, I'll be getting my doctorate soon and I'm wondering what is more effective.

#1 Dr. Angellous, Ph.D.

#2 Angellous, Ph.D.

Or just nothing at all.

I'm in academic circles as well as professional circles, working with churches.

In academic circles, it's usually nothing at all, but always accompanied by the position one has:

Angellous
Professor of New Testament
Evangellous Divinity School

But if one is not a professor, or if one simply prefers it, it's #2.

In the professional circles, it's always Dr. X, degree letters.

But there are plenty of people who mix and match.

What's a daddy to do?

This is your signature? That's easy. Use your entire C.V. As it changes (with more publications, offices, memberships, participation in conferences, etc.) update your signature every time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I do agree that in non-academic circles, the "Dr." bit might come off as pretentious.
Whenever I see a "PhD" suffix, I think "That guy prolly drives a Corvette, puts lifts in his shoes, does a comb over, uses big words when a diminutive
one will do, stuffs socks into his codpiece, wants pectoral implants, buys snooty wine, watches "films", & pretends to be above watching TV.".

I recommend......
Angellous Evangellous....you got a problem wit dat!?!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Whenever I see a "PhD" suffix, I think "That guy prolly drives a Corvette, puts lifts in his shoes, does a comb over, uses big words when a diminutive
one will do, stuffs socks into his codpiece, wants pectoral implants, buys snooty wine, watches "films", & pretends to be above watching TV.".

I recommend......
Angellous Evangellous....you got a problem wit dat!?!

I may just be used to my industry. In my line of work, if you're a professional engineer, you put "P.Eng" after your name; if you're a certified engineering technologist, you put "CET"; everyone else puts their degree.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Kathryn, DD

(Domestic Diva)

Hey, I like it.

How 'bout:

Kathryn, AAAD

(Almost An Associate's Degree)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I may just be used to my industry. In my line of work, if you're a professional engineer, you put "P.Eng" after your name; if you're a certified engineering technologist, you put "CET"; everyone else puts their degree.
"P.Eng" serves a very real purpose....other than just impressing the babes.
It's easier to get work testifying in court when one has the "Professional Engineer" designation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"P.Eng" serves a very real purpose....other than just impressing the babes.
It's easier to get work testifying in court when one has the "Professional Engineer" designation.

And the clients like seeing it, since it reassures them that they know who to sue if things go wrong on the project.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And the clients like seeing it, since it reassures them that they know who to sue if things go wrong on the project.
I should'a tooked the test while I was fresh out'a school.
But I'd had enuf test take'n.
Could'a made me some extra money with dem letters after me name.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Add as many titles and letters as possible. Maximize your sig, AE.

~Songbird, Esq., Empress, ®,©, Ǣ, Pretty Pretty Princess, LTD, Dean of Trampolines, Poperissa, LCS, MD and/or PhD, Senator and The Honorable Lyrical Gangster, Her Ladythugness, and Highness and Lochness.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

Though listing you're an associate professor already conveys to people your relevant qualifications. The Ph.D is not as pretentious as calling yourself "Dr.", I agree.

Licenses are important in some professions and they have letter designations for those. Engineers and architects are a good example.

Best regards,
Dr. Dopp, B.A., J.D., AOAA*, Esq.

*designates membership in the American Organization of Affiliated Associations

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

I ended up with my actual signature (in blue) with my name underneath "A_E, PhD" with a hyperlink to my website. Elegant and simple.