• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Economic consequences of Evolution vs. Creation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Nobel Prize....they'll give that to anyone....Obama, Al Gore.
But having won it, do these guys now have "the truth"?
I'm planning on winning it next year because of my profound idea of the DOT installing you as a speed-bump on I-94. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm planning on winning it next year because of my profound idea of the DOT installing you as a speed-bump on I-94. :D
I'm already on US 23.
I canna do both!

Do you even know what "speed bumps" are?
Hint:
I once had an employee who had that as a nickname.

Brian Schuh

Only the ignorant and those of the ultra-orthodox believe in creationism. Y'all assume that if I believe in creationism, that I must be one of the ignorant. Yet the great Rebbe Schneerson has made it clear that we will NOT believe in evolution. When I passed my evolution exams in high school with A's, I wrote at the top of the paper, I don't believe in any of this sh*t. So I proved that one can understand evolution and still not believe in it. Y'all assume that if one doesn't believe it, then he must not understand it, which is a fallacy. I understand your evolution, and I still don't believe, not because of any ignorance, but because I am of the ultra-orthodox.

metis

I'm already on US 23.
I canna do both!

Do you even know what "speed bumps" are?
Hint:
I once had an employee who had that as a nickname.
I remember hearing or reading about it in a different context but I honestly can't remember what it also refers to-- just another age-thingy of mine. :(

SAHAJANANDA

Part of the truth of a theorey is in its effect of people and how they behave. Evolution was used by Nazi's to justify what they did. I believe we can all agree that social darwinism is false, no matter if evolution is true or not, a government has no right to decide who is fit to survive or not survive.

If you look at the Torah, the Hebrews were not "fit to survive." Even Moses under inspiration of God said that "I did not choose you because your were the mightiest people, or the greatest people, or even the most intelligent people, in fact you are the weakest, smallest people." (That is paraphrased.) In fact the Hebrews survived these several thousands years against all odds. Which shows that survival of the fittest doesn't hold water.

The Creation Museam of Kentucky creates more jobs for Kentucky and pays more federal tax to keep the Feds afloat than all evolutionists combined ever had.

Look at the story of Abraham, his wife was barren and it is probably closer to the truth that he himself was impotent. If survival of the fittest were true, Abraham beat all odds.

No, there is no survival of the fittest. It just doesn't hold water.
The creationism and the theory of evolution need not be contradictory but they can be complimentary. The scripture is not science it deals with the meaning and the purpose of life. The story of creation is a parable: it tells human beings that they are in the image and likeness of God and they have to live a life of fruitfulness manifesting the divine attributes in human relationships. The theory of evolution is science. It tells us how this material universe has evolved from the moment of Big Bang. But it cannot tells us the meaning and the ultimate purpose of life. It tells us that we are nothing but matter. Our bodies are the product of evolution but our consciousness is the reflection of the breath of God breathed into us. We are both the combination of spiritual and material. The creation story tells us that we are spiritual. The theory of evolution tells us that we are the evolution from the matter. Both are true in their levels. Truth is the union of these two. The theory of the survival if the fittest may be true in some cases but this cannot be applied to all. Christ said : blessed are the meek you shall inherit the earth. He did not say blessed are fittest you shall inherit the earth. The Roman Empire was very strong and fit but it disappeared. Hence the view ' the survival of the fittest not an absolute truth.

metis

Only the ignorant and those of the ultra-orthodox believe in creationism. Y'all assume that if I believe in creationism, that I must be one of the ignorant. Yet the great Rebbe Schneerson has made it clear that we will NOT believe in evolution. When I passed my evolution exams in high school with A's, I wrote at the top of the paper, I don't believe in any of this sh*t. So I proved that one can understand evolution and still not believe in it. Y'all assume that if one doesn't believe it, then he must not understand it, which is a fallacy. I understand your evolution, and I still don't believe, not because of any ignorance, but because I am of the ultra-orthodox.
I doubt very much that Reb Schneerson had any degree in the biological sciences, and I much prefer acknowledging the expertise of a reb in his religion and the expertise of a scientist in his/her branch of science.

Brian Schuh

I doubt very much that Reb Schneerson had any degree in the biological sciences, and I much prefer acknowledging the expertise of a reb in his religion and the expertise of a scientist in his/her branch of science.
In regard to evolution, he was constantly reminded of this. The Reb Schneerson would not back down on creationism. He was told, you stay within your expertise and stay out of other's expertise. But he found it important to the faith, we have to stand by creationism.

Brian Schuh

The creationism and the theory of evolution need not be contradictory but they can be complimentary. The scripture is not science it deals with the meaning and the purpose of life. The story of creation is a parable: it tells human beings that they are in the image and likeness of God and they have to live a life of fruitfulness manifesting the divine attributes in human relationships. The theory of evolution is science. It tells us how this material universe has evolved from the moment of Big Bang. But it cannot tells us the meaning and the ultimate purpose of life. It tells us that we are nothing but matter. Our bodies are the product of evolution but our consciousness is the reflection of the breath of God breathed into us. We are both the combination of spiritual and material. The creation story tells us that we are spiritual. The theory of evolution tells us that we are the evolution from the matter. Both are true in their levels. Truth is the union of these two. The theory of the survival if the fittest may be true in some cases but this cannot be applied to all. Christ said : blessed are the meek you shall inherit the earth. He did not say blessed are fittest you shall inherit the earth. The Roman Empire was very strong and fit but it disappeared. Hence the view ' the survival of the fittest not an absolute truth.
I will have to contemplate an answer to this. Evolutionary theory can be consistent with creationism in a way you don't like. All evolutionary processes can be consistent with creationism and still maintain that Adam and Eve were created 5777 years ago. Right, natural selection and speciation can be true and that doesn't mean that 5777 years ago that Adam and Eve were not created.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Actually, creationism is a tremendous boon.
It ranks right up there with Ponzi schemes for productivity.
Not overall. Its a nice boom for a few people who write books and Ken Ham. But its actually putting a slight drag on scientific advancement which inevitably puts a drag on our economy.

metis

In regard to evolution, he was constantly reminded of this. The Reb Schneerson would not back down on creationism. He was told, you stay within your expertise and stay out of other's expertise. But he found it important to the faith, we have to stand by creationism.
But "creationism" can be and often is defined differently by different people. Evolution does not in any way deny the hypothetical existence of a deity or deities, and even most Christian theologians accept the basic ToE, as long as it is understood that God was behind it all.

Therefore, since "evolution" is a scientific and not a theological matter, it makes no sense to give the reb the upper hand on the science of it.

metis

I will have to contemplate an answer to this. Evolutionary theory can be consistent with creationism in a way you don't like. All evolutionary processes can be consistent with creationism and still maintain that Adam and Eve were created 5777 years ago. Right, natural selection and speciation can be true and that doesn't mean that 5777 years ago that Adam and Eve were not created.
With today's much greater knowledge of early Middle Eastern history than we had 3000 years ago, it makes not one iota of sense for us to believe that the Earth is only that old, especially since there are some neolithic villages in that region that are significantly older than that.

Brian Schuh

With today's much greater knowledge of early Middle Eastern history than we had 3000 years ago, it makes not one iota of sense for us to believe that the Earth is only that old, especially since there are some neolithic villages in that region that are significantly older than that.
I appreciate some evidence. Historical evidence would be appreciated. Assuming uniformitarianism back only to time of the Flood would be appreciated. If it could be demonstrated that the global flood could not have happened for whatever reason, I would respond that the Flood was only regional. Show me some evidence. Some say, at current rate of speciation, that all the vertebrates could not have fit on an ark. And some say, that freshwater life could not have survived a flood. Show me some evidence within the confines of my religious belief.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember hearing or reading about it in a different context but I honestly can't remember what it also refers to-- just another age-thingy of mine. :(
This particular employee shared too much with tenants.
He'd tell'm about his hemorrhoids, aka "speed bumps".

This was symptomatic of other problems (theft, improper sexual advances) resulting in my firing him.
Then he got a job as a public school teacher (with tenure).
They never did a background check on him.
Go public schools!

metis

I appreciate some evidence. Historical evidence would be appreciated. Assuming uniformitarianism back only to time of the Flood would be appreciated. If it could be demonstrated that the global flood could not have happened for whatever reason, I would respond that the Flood was only regional. Show me some evidence. Some say, at current rate of speciation, that all the vertebrates could not have fit on an ark. And some say, that freshwater life could not have survived a flood. Show me some evidence within the confines of my religious belief.
It's very easy nowadays to google this, so let me recommend you do so, but if you run into a snag, just let me know and I'll help ya. I have to leave very shortly, which is why I can't spend the time right now.

metis

This particular employee shared too much with tenants.
He'd tell'm about his hemorrhoids, aka "speed bumps".

This was symptomatic of other problems (theft, improper sexual advances) resulting in my firing him.
Then he got a job as a public school teacher (with tenure).
They never did a background check on him.
Go public schools!
Ya, sometimes educators can be just as bad as business owners. Who woulda figured?!

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Part of the truth of a theorey is in its effect of people and how they behave. Evolution was used by Nazi's to justify what they did. I believe we can all agree that social darwinism is false, no matter if evolution is true or not, a government has no right to decide who is fit to survive or not survive.

If you look at the Torah, the Hebrews were not "fit to survive." Even Moses under inspiration of God said that "I did not choose you because your were the mightiest people, or the greatest people, or even the most intelligent people, in fact you are the weakest, smallest people." (That is paraphrased.) In fact the Hebrews survived these several thousands years against all odds. Which shows that survival of the fittest doesn't hold water.

The Creation Museam of Kentucky creates more jobs for Kentucky and pays more federal tax to keep the Feds afloat than all evolutionists combined ever had.

Look at the story of Abraham, his wife was barren and it is probably closer to the truth that he himself was impotent. If survival of the fittest were true, Abraham beat all odds.

No, there is no survival of the fittest. It just doesn't hold water.
No, that is false. Creation Museam (sic) of Kentucky is tax exempt, in fact it siphons public money from Kentucky through a tourism incentive program. I, as a lone "evolutionist," do more to "keep the Feds afloat" than the Creation Museam (sic) of Kentucky does.