• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb application question

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont know. Like I said it's illegal to ask in the first place prior to being hired. And even if it wasn't why would their opinions on anything matter I am the one applying

Maybe its their sneaky way of asking if you're married.

Well, she said it was a private "Christian" daycare. Maybe they have a right to hire people they think will fit in better.

I think there are laws in that state that says you can't discriminate against religion or marital status.

It's just to check she's not the antichrist, I imagine. There could be no other explanation.

The antichrist can't marry?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Consider that all work experience is good....
- It's a good job, & you get valuable experience.
- It's a bad job, & you know what to avoid in the future.
- Some combination of the above.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Maybe they/them don't know there is no spouse and this is they/their way of finding out.
Eh close enough. I take it you never seen someone put pronouns like that? Here's how you'd use pronouns when in / like that:

If someone puts he/him
You'd use he or him depending on what the grammical structure is.

Like He did this. Or I walked with him.

Same way with they/them. They did this. Or I walked with them

Also did i misunderstood your sentence? Were you refering when you put she to the job application person or to me? I thought you meant me but if i misunderstood that's ok.

Ok as for your response:

It's illegal to ask about martial status until after the person is hired. To prevent discrimination. So the question was illegal in the first place.

Sorry if I'm wrong there; I was referring to the theoretical spouse, not yourself. Was I wrong?
Ah I misunderstood your post. I thought you were referring to me my bad.

Sounds like a great place. :rolleyes:
Ha im not working there for sure.

VoidCat

I think there are laws in that state that says you can't discriminate against religion or marital status
Being it's a private christian daycare they can ask about religion. They can't ask about martial status tho

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Religious Affiliation or Beliefs.

This exception relieves religious organizations only from the ban on employment discrimination based on religion. It does not exempt such organizations from employing individuals due to their race, gender, national origin, disability, color, and/or age.

lostwanderingsoul

Eh close enough. I take it you never seen someone put pronouns like that? Here's how you'd use pronouns when in / like that:

If someone puts he/him
You'd use he or him depending on what the grammical structure is.

Like He did this. Or I walked with him.

Same way with they/them. They did this. Or I walked with them

Also did i misunderstood your sentence? Were you refering when you put she to the job application person or to me? I thought you meant me but if i misunderstood that's ok.

Ok as for your response:

It's illegal to ask about martial status until after the person is hired. To prevent discrimination. So the question was illegal in the first place.

Ah I misunderstood your post. I thought you were referring to me my bad.

Ha im not working there for sure.
So, they are more than one person? Maybe the place only wanted to hire one.

VoidCat

So, they are more than one person? Maybe the place only wanted to hire one.
*rolls eyes* im not going to argue again on how singular they predates singular you and goes back to the 1300s and how everyone uses singular they all the time. Or how singular they is in both the Oxford and Webster dictionary.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Being it's a private christian daycare they can ask about religion. They can't ask about martial status tho

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Religious Affiliation or Beliefs.

Here's a snapshot of the UK situation.

55136308-29AA-4D43-BB16-532684440C40.jpeg

VoidCat

In the 70s, I worked for a Methodist church as a sexton.
(Sex did happen in the church, but not with me.)
They knew I was an atheist. It was an OK job.
Be open to possibilities.
Im open to working at a christian daycare. Im not open however to working somewhere where folk treat me like im less then and talk to me like im 5.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Im open to working at a christian daycare. Im not open however to working somewhere where folk treat me like im less then and talk to me like im 5.
Even if that happened, you'd gain from that experience.
Bad experiences can be the most edifying. So I recommend
fearlessness (tempered by good judgment) in your job hunt.

VoidCat

Even if that happened, you'd gain from that experience.
Bad experiences can be the most edifying. So I recommend
fearlessness (tempered by good judgment) in your job hunt.
I got another daycare this one secular asking me to get a background check. They seriously considering hiring me. I got fingerprinted today and mailed the form for a background check to the DCDEE.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That is dumb question.

Why would your marital status matter here? Much less, your spouse's religious opinions?

Probably, because if they see Ray as female, a husband would have to be okay with the religion and/or her activities. If he doesn't, it could cause problems, and we know that men are in charge in the home, right?:rolleyes:

PureX

Veteran Member
That is dumb question.

Why would your marital status matter here? Much less, your spouse's religious opinions?
It's a Christian day care. So of course they're going to want to dig deeper than most employers would. Kids and religion ... not like they're a hot button issue or anything. :)

If their attitudes and questions are offensive to you, why do you want to work for them?