• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dual belonging. Is it possible?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The way I see it, the core of Buddhism involves:

The Eightfold Path - which, when push comes to shove, is little more than an appeal for people to attempt to act correctly whenever they have the choice.

Training the mind to be both perceptive and emotionaly resilient.

Understanding and applying the principle of interdependent origination.

Acknowledging that (at least for practical purposes) there is no inherent separation between our lives, no warranty nor promise of being assured or rewarded "for our own merits".

There is very little there - hardly anything really - that I would not consider just pragmatic common sense.

Other than the metaphysical quality I have personally found in Buddhist philosophy, I guess you may be on to something (never thought of the Eightfold Path in that manner but I can see your point).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I read, enjoyed and agreed with the book by Sylvia Boorstein "That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist: On Being a Faithful Jew and a Passionate Buddhist"

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
In those cases one is neither one or the other. And if one were really following, say, Judaism then one would follow all the commands be, well, a Jew. With eclectics, they just mix religions that have no business being mixed and employ mental gymnastics to justify it. If one wants to do it, fine, but don't call oneself a Jew or a Jain or whatever else is being bastardised.
Who is the "Final Authority" for each belief system?
I fail to see how, outside personal preference/beliefs/interpretations how anyone can make an "official" declaration.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Other than the metaphysical quality I have personally found in Buddhist philosophy, I guess you may be on to something (never thought of the Eightfold Path in that manner but I can see your point).
Which metaphysical quality?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
This idea based on a book I read by Paul Knitter titled, 'Without Buddha, I could not be a Christian.' It addresses the concept of dual belonging between the two traditions. In your opinion (Buddhist and Christian), do you believe it is possible?
I think that different philosophies can aid people in understanding their faith better, but I don't think that you can belong to two religions at once. There are definitely some Christians who are of a liberal mindset who probably love Buddha.

This idea based on a book I read by Paul Knitter titled, 'Without Buddha, I could not be a Christian.' It addresses the concept of dual belonging between the two traditions. In your opinion (Buddhist and Christian), do you believe it is possible?
I'd say that it's possible to be both.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The core teachings of Christianity radically conflict with the core teachings of Buddhism. However:
It is possible to practice the techniques of meditation while rejecting Buddhism itself and following Christianity.
Or
It is also possible to use selective parts of Jesus's sayings that are compatible with Buddhism, and thus following Buddhism and recasting Jesus as a Bodhisattva and rejecting how Christians think of him.

ronandcarol

Premium Member
I do believe that the Bible is fairly clear on the fact that you cannot serve two master! God doesn't want to share you with anyone else. He is a jealous God that wants your whole heart, not the half that your other god doesn't want.
ronandcarol

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I do believe that the Bible is fairly clear on the fact that you cannot serve two master! God doesn't want to share you with anyone else. He is a jealous God that wants your whole heart, not the half that your other god doesn't want.
ronandcarol
So Yahweh's just an insecure lover.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The concept of un-attachmenrt as opposed to simply being detached. This is definitely not taught in Christianity.
Do you see a conflict with Christianity, though? Either potential or inherent?

Jumi

I personally see it happening sometimes Buddhism and Christianity mixing isn't that uncommon. In pre-communist China and countries near that it was common to mix "the three religions" Taoism, Buddhism and Confucian without any problems. Others were naturally added into the melting pot such as with early Christian and Manichean missionaries, Zoroastrian refugees from the conquered Persia and later from Muslim traders.

sed79

Sure, the two traditions can fill different needs for a person.
Is it possible for you? For you that is surely the question
To me it is easily possible... for me it is inevitable
For you and others it may not be possible... I hope for you it is..if not self evident... at least it will eventually become not only possible... but a truth.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you see a conflict with Christianity, though? Either potential or inherent?

Definitely. I was raised Christian (Dad was actually becoming a preacher before he passed) and there is a total disconnect between Christianity and the teachings of Jesus, IMHO. That's why I call myself a Jesusonian instead of a Christian. Same thing with Buddhism.

David1967

Premium Member
total disconnect between Christianity and the teachings of Jesus

I've noticed that myself, especially in the hell fire and brimstone fundamentalist circle. I would like to see more of the compassion that Jesus taught practiced by more.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I've noticed that myself, especially in the hell fire and brimstone fundamentalist circle. I would like to see more of the compassion that Jesus taught practiced by more.

He, like The Buddha, taught about the illusion of this life and detaching oneself from the mundacity of everyday living. I doubt if you can find that on any church marquee.