• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dual belonging. Is it possible?

David1967

Premium Member
This idea based on a book I read by Paul Knitter titled, 'Without Buddha, I could not be a Christian.' It addresses the concept of dual belonging between the two traditions. In your opinion (Buddhist and Christian), do you believe it is possible?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This idea based on a book I read by Paul Knitter titled, 'Without Buddha, I could not be a Christian.' It addresses the concept of dual belonging between the two traditions. In your opinion (Buddhist and Christian), do you believe it is possible?
Sure, the two traditions can fill different needs for a person.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I expect people can apply whatever labels, or combinations of labels, to themselves as they want. Whether this is consistent with generally accepted definitions of those labels is a different story. People have an amazing ability to use selective criteria and semantics to make labels widely variable and flexible. However, if your goal is to utilize labels in a way that makes sense to other people using the labels, you have to understand their popular connotations and limitations.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Dual belonging is often a good idea.

Not sure about Buddhism and Christianity, though. IMO it comes down mostly to what exactly one expects of Christianity. There is a very wide range of possible understandings on that matter.

As for Buddhism... truth be told, it teaches very little that is not closely related to either ethics or just plain common sense.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Both are diverse, so I won't say it's impossible, but there are definitely schools of Christian thought that are incompatible with mainstream Buddhism. But fringe Christianity with fringe Buddhism? Sure... why not?

David1967

Premium Member
Both are diverse, so I won't say it's impossible, but there are definitely schools of Christian thought that are incompatible with mainstream Buddhism. But fringe Christianity with fringe Buddhism? Sure... why not?

I see your point. I guess it depends on where an individual draws the line for "fringe".

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Absolutely. Look at my messed up religion claim.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If you know who Alan Watts is, he kind of combined the two traditions.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Dual belonging is often a good idea.

Not sure about Buddhism and Christianity, though. IMO it comes down mostly to what exactly one expects of Christianity. There is a very wide range of possible understandings on that matter.

As for Buddhism... truth be told, it teaches very little that is not closely related to either ethics or just plain common sense.

Not sure what school of Buddhism you may be referring to.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles

As long as the core ideologies don't conflict, I don't see a problem. I myself mix two religions (although not the ones addressed in this post). Jesus and Buddha had similar things to say about the world and spirituality so it's probably a good pairing.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Eclectic"
In those cases one is neither one or the other. And if one were really following, say, Judaism then one would follow all the commands be, well, a Jew. With eclectics, they just mix religions that have no business being mixed and employ mental gymnastics to justify it. If one wants to do it, fine, but don't call oneself a Jew or a Jain or whatever else is being bastardised.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Could you explain why you think Buddhism is just common sense? I'd be interested in your take.
The way I see it, the core of Buddhism involves:

The Eightfold Path - which, when push comes to shove, is little more than an appeal for people to attempt to act correctly whenever they have the choice.

Training the mind to be both perceptive and emotionaly resilient.

Understanding and applying the principle of interdependent origination.

Acknowledging that (at least for practical purposes) there is no inherent separation between our lives, no warranty nor promise of being assured or rewarded "for our own merits".

There is very little there - hardly anything really - that I would not consider just pragmatic common sense.