• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dove "Whitewashes" a Black Woman...

Father

Devourer of Truth
Even funnier than what I just posted......ta......****ing.........da!

Snowflakes are interesting because they are so individual.

Have you ever considered what type of snowflake you are?

I think it's really important that you do because once you conceptualize your hatred into a crystallized concept you will find your special snowflake on the back of a cereal box.

But gasp.........with a special treat inside.

A molded middle finger of Genghis Khan himself!

Mongol Invasion Peanut Butter Snowflake Crunch!

a snowflake by definition
A hypersensitive, irrational person who can't stand to have their worldviews challenged, or be offended in any perceived or even slightest of ways; they will have any number of emotional reactions: impuning character and/or motives, blocking on social media, shouting, interrupting, threatening, assaulting, etc. They often live in an echo chamber of their own beliefs and surround themselves exclusively with people and opinions that agree with their own. This term is most often use to describe people left-leaning people, but can be applied both left and right-wing people.

I throw my opinions into the fire daily. hints why I am here. any position I hold has been battle tested. snowflakes thrive on echo chambers. I don't have an echo chamber. one open to debate and discourse is by definition not a snowflake. as for emotion, i do embed my wrath into my arguments. its how I vent and is the type of debate style I use. a debate is a war after all.
ironic how you can only attack personal character while never actually giving your own stance or position or dismantling without insult. :) My wrath is very rarely directed at the individual and more so at their ideas or beliefs. one who needs insults to win an argument has no argument ;)

gnomon

I don't believe it was racism either.
The company's goal is to sell soap, & make money.
To intend a commercial which would offend a large market segment isn't consistent.
Cluelessness is the better explanation.

Well.......cluelessness I can accept.

Sorry.....I just cannot get over the fact that my brother and his friends performed this as a skit pointing out racism.

I'm going to have to ask him if they still have the video even though it was performed back in the mid 90's.

Tumah

Veteran Member
From the title, I honestly thought this was a joke about a pigeon doing it's business on a woman.

JJ50

Is this racist?

59db17e6fc7e9317638b4567.jpg

Skincare brand Dove lambasted online for ‘racist’ Facebook ad

I think obviously not the intent of the company. This was likely to show their product was used by women of all skin tones.

Would it have been better if the White woman had become Black?

What a ghastly racist advert.:mad: I shall definitely not use their products in future.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
In the short version of the commercial, things don't look so great. But in the long version of the commercial, the black woman turns into a white woman who turns into an Asian woman. They're obviously just trying to point out that it's made for women of all skin types and colours. I don't see any need for outrage here.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I plan to start buying them.
Just to support the right of marketing departments to be clueless idiots.
I am not sure that the marketing people were clueless.
If they assessed their customers "The people who are outraged and won't buy because of this don't buy Dove anyway. But they will spread our advertisement widely for free. It will reach millions of people who aren't offended, even find it amusing, who will buy our products. In a very cost effective way!"

Personally, that's my guess. The OP sold a few more bars of soap for Dove.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What worked for JC Penny's Hitler teapot wouldn't work
for soap (which has no collector or display value).
I don't think that's how you sell cheap commodity products.
You just drill the brand names into people's heads, so when they're running through WalMart they grab your product instead of the 50 other nearly identical products next to it.
I sincerely doubt that people buying cheap soap factor social issues into picking a bar. Name recognition is much more important.

"I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right."
Tom

Sakeenah

Is this racist?

59db17e6fc7e9317638b4567.jpg

Skincare brand Dove lambasted online for ‘racist’ Facebook ad

I think obviously not the intent of the company. This was likely to show their product was used by women of all skin tones.

Would it have been better if the White woman had become Black?

The objective of the campaign was to highlight the fact that all skin deserves gentleness. I don't think their objective was to show the black woman as a before in a before and after picture. Based on this I don't think it's racist.
I do think the Dove company and advertisement companies in general should consider the impact their ad may have. I can understand why the above snapshot can be seen as racist and it can have a negative effect on young black women/girls

The black model in this ad explained it well :

"I’ve grown up very aware of society’s opinion that dark-skinned people, especially women, would look better if our skin were lighter.
I know that the beauty industry has fueled this opinion with its long history of presenting lighter, mixed-race or white models as the beauty standard. Historically, and in many countries still today, darker models are even used todemonstrate a product’s skin-lightening qualities to help women reach this standard.

This repressive narrative is one I have seen affect women from many different communities I’ve been a part of."

Based on the history of the Beauty industry and the backlash Dove has faced before for the same reason I can understand why some people got offended.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think that's how you sell cheap commodity products.
You just drill the brand names into people's heads, so when they're running through WalMart they grab your product instead of the 50 other nearly identical products next to it.
I sincerely doubt that people buying cheap soap factor social issues into picking a bar. Name recognition is much more important.

"I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right."
Tom

I suppose so, but the competition is also fierce. I remember Dial asked "Aren't you glad you use Dial? Don't you wish everybody did?" Not everyone buys soap to keep their skin soft; they buy it so they don't stink up the place.

I usually buy the generic brand, since, after all, soap is soap.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The objective of the campaign was to highlight the fact that all skin deserves gentleness. I don't think their objective was to show the black woman as a before in a before and after picture. Based on this I don't think it's racist.
I do think the Dove company and advertisement companies in general should consider the impact their ad may have. I can understand why the above snapshot can be seen as racist and it can have a negative effect on young black women/girls

The black model in this ad explained it well :

"I’ve grown up very aware of society’s opinion that dark-skinned people, especially women, would look better if our skin were lighter.
I know that the beauty industry has fueled this opinion with its long history of presenting lighter, mixed-race or white models as the beauty standard. Historically, and in many countries still today, darker models are even used todemonstrate a product’s skin-lightening qualities to help women reach this standard.

This repressive narrative is one I have seen affect women from many different communities I’ve been a part of."

Based on the history of the Beauty industry and the backlash Dove has faced before for the same reason I can understand why some people got offended.

I think I understand. It's a matter of self esteem.

I learned at an early age not to let the prejudices of other folks affect me. I just assume that's the way the world works and it ain't really going to change much.

Folks maybe more careful about hiding their prejudice but I don't think it's going to stop it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I suppose so, but the competition is also fierce.
Which is why I doubt that the gigantic corporation that makes and markets Dove brand is as clueless as @Revoltingest thinks it is. A percent or two in monthly sales is millions of dollars to Unilever, and I am confident that some seriously sophisticated thought and planning resulted in that ad campaign. Unilever decided that the demographic likely to choose Dove brand aren't SJW snowflakes.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which is why I doubt that the gigantic corporation that makes and markets Dove brand is as clueless as @Revoltingest thinks it is. A percent or two in monthly sales is millions of dollars to Unilever, and I am confident that some seriously sophisticated thought and planning resulted in that ad campaign. Unilever decided that the demographic likely to choose Dove brand aren't SJW snowflakes.
Tom
I've seen large companies make utterly ridiculous decisions.
Often, it comes down to someone in charge fully embodying
the Peter Principle. Seen it at Ford & GM.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've seen large companies make utterly ridiculous decisions.
Often, it comes down to someone in charge fully embodying
the Peter Principle. Seen it at Ford & GM.
I would not entirely discount that possibility. I just see it as extremely implausible, given the current social climate and level of marketing sophistication. It seems much much more likely that they know the small percentage of the soap buying public that they might sell to better than the customers know themselves.
Tom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Actually, if you read the whole link, the white woman became Asian.

Of course, Asians are the superior race. :D

Then there's my boss who came to the US legally from India, went through the process to become a naturalized US citizen. He's a degreed engineer. He just got off the phone with a guy who threatened to have him deported because he has an Indian accent.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's two different women. They are just showing how it works on each of them.

While it's not my fault that some people have a self esteem crisis over an ad. Still you apologise for any unintended offense and remove the ad.

It's not racist, but there's no reason to cause minority kids self esteem issues when it can be avoided. Hopefully adults are mature enough that they won't let this kind of thing affect them.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would not entirely discount that possibility. I just see it as extremely implausible, given the current social climate and level of marketing sophistication. It seems much much more likely that they know the small percentage of the soap buying public that they might sell to better than the customers know themselves.
Tom
It can be difficult for sophisticated intelligent folks (like you) to truly understand
how careless & clueless the kind of workers attracted to marketing can be.
But the view from down here with my double digit IQ level is more illuminating.

Last edited: