• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doubting Atheist

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
is an atheist self-doubting? self-questioning?

Of course I always question myself. Everybody should do that.

In my case, It goes like that:

Viole: are you really positive that there are no gods?
Viole: sure.

Ciao

- viole

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It depends on the atheist.

The fact that atheists change their position and become religious dictates that there are those who question.

The fact that many atheists don't even ask questions dictates that there are those who don't.

So, just depends on the atheist.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

About what?

I question myself whether the kids will be ok at school or when they are playing in the river or forest. I question myself if ive set the oven on the correct temperature for the cake im baking. If i have enough fuel for the journey or do i need to stop for diesel. You know, every day mundane concerne.

But i assume you are more interested in whether an atheist considers your god mythology stories... Perhaps in the same way they question harry potter stories .

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

"self" is body related. Lower self. (dvaita)
"Self" is atma related. Higher Self (advaita)

I know 1 person on RF who calls himself "I am an advaitist Hindu and a strong atheist"

Is your question about "lower self" or "Higher Self"?

When it is about "Higher Self", who is questioning? non-dual means not two. Where is atheist?
When it is about "lower self", what is real? (to be or not to be)

HonestJoe

my point isn't obviously everyone else's focus. salads come in many assortments. you order yours just like everyone else orders their reality. we do it the best with what we know and fill in the gaps with what we believe..

people identifying as something should know something about themselves from a 1st person perspective. why then look to another?
Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. Why not engage in a bit of healthy self-doubt, consider the possibility that you simply worded your OP poorly and resolve to put a bit more time and thought in to it next time? :cool:

David T

Premium Member
you are correct. we should hold everyone to the same standards and not exclude self.

i have speeded up the process because i don't always have all the questions. the nudges i can't see can come from inside, or outside.
i find that one second in nature traveling one inch destroys all the nonsense in science and religion. But getting to that one second and one inch is often times hinderd by religion and science. I recently have turned to music as a more clearly articuated view for me. I find philo-dork-hical writing absurd since its accedemic dorks.

So i could write a book on say the unconscious? God? Nature? Cosmos? And prattle on philosophically but i find the compact quality of music cuts through the nonsense.

So when tom waites sings the following it says a lot in very very clear ways not easily understood in science, in religion, in the CULT-ure books. Simply because most have not traveled that one inch from themselves to the landscape, nor have they had but one second to hear the landscape speak.books dont get us there directly. We tend to talk over it read over it and project that onto it as being facts. Its not its just us projecting what we have read and parroted which is in-CULT-ure-ated in us starting as small children is all. Thats why artists tend to tap into feelings from before schooling. Which is what fish do they school and we are about that dumb.

But there's one thing you can't lose, it's that feel
You can throw it off a bridge, you can lose it in the fire
You can leave it at the altar, it will make you out a liar
Fall down in the street, you can leave it in the lurch
Well, you say that it's gospel but I know that it's only church"

As an artist this makes total sense to everyone else its invisible to most. In science in religion especially.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Of course I always question myself. Everybody should do that.

In my case, It goes like that:

Viole: are you really positive that there are no gods?
Viole: sure.

Ciao

- viole

then you have a conundrum of people to prove wrong. rumi, mansur al-hallaj, meister-eckhart, myself and others who come to realize that they are the result of the all that is, or will be. and you're going to be attempting to prove wrong what does exist.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. Arthur Conan Doyle

Love exists. it destroys the illusion of the ignorant by understanding. it is both a creative/destructive force.

Those who wield it are called friends of God - Abraham

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
i find that one second in nature traveling one inch destroys all the nonsense in science and religion. But getting to that one second and one inch is often times hinderd by religion and science. I recently have turned to music as a more clearly articuated view for me. I find philo-dork-hical writing absurd since its accedemic dorks.

So i could write a book on say the unconscious? God? Nature? Cosmos? And prattle on philosophically but i find the compact quality of music cuts through the nonsense.

So when tom waites sings the following it says a lot in very very clear ways not easily understood in science, in religion, in the CULT-ure books. Simply because most have not traveled that one inch from themselves to the landscape, nor have they had but one second to hear the landscape speak.books dont get us there directly. We tend to talk over it read over it and project that onto it as being facts. Its not its just us projecting what we have read and parroted which is in-CULT-ure-ated in us starting as small children is all. Thats why artists tend to tap into feelings from before schooling. Which is what fish do they school and we are about that dumb.

But there's one thing you can't lose, it's that feel
You can throw it off a bridge, you can lose it in the fire
You can leave it at the altar, it will make you out a liar
Fall down in the street, you can leave it in the lurch
Well, you say that it's gospel but I know that it's only church"

As an artist this makes total sense to everyone else its invisible to most. In science in religion especially.

i saw and heard it in the trees today. the wind moving through them like an instrument and they sing to the world and dance.

thanks for the gift. i like the song.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have self doubt, and i often question myself too. About my lack of belief in God, i am very sure there is none. God is very important to me because by definition God is the perfect being. There is none perfection in nature. Nature has no ideals in it. And nothing divine is governing humanity or nature. If God existed i would be in utter shock. And i would protest this way of dealing with humanity and every other animal.