• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doubting Atheist

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You can't really make generalizations about atheists, as the only thing that they have in common is not believing in God(s). Otherwise, they have few similarities.
So I guess it depends on the atheist.

so you're implying that they are only extrospective? they don't doubt the observer when its themselves?

A Vestigial Mote

is an atheist self-doubting? self-questioning?
It likely depends on the individual. Whether or not they entertain some notion that there may be the supernatural/godly/unknowable-realities that usually come along for the ride with theism.

I, for one, do not entertain such notions. Such things would need to be demonstrated to me, or an undeniable case presented that left no room for doubt that such was an intrinsic part of the reality I experience. Otherwise it does nothing more than make for interesting stories.

I have never been given even one compelling reason to doubt the position I take on the supernatural/God/etc. Everything usually boils down to claims that such things cannot be demonstrated due to their very nature. But that exact same excuse can be made for no end of fanciful things, and isn't worth the breath required to speak it.

A Vestigial Mote

so you're implying that they are only extrospective? they don't doubt the observer when its themselves?
So, does this imply you're asking about ALL self-doubt? Not just whether or not they doubt the stance they have taken on the religious/theistic front? Because atheists are humans too... obviously... and there is plenty of room to doubt oneself on a whole host of topics and subjects.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
is an atheist self-doubting? self-questioning?

Your question is unclear. And even if it were clear, the answer would almost certainly depend on the individual.

I, for one, try to always question my assumptions. I look for issues where I may be wrong and attempt to learn new things all the time.

But the only thing necessary to be an atheist is a lack of belief in deities. In and of itself, atheism doesn't imply a moral standing, any amount of self-awareness, or anything else.

But individual atheists may have a moral standing (based on a more general philosophy), be self-aware, etc.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

That wasn't how I read that answer. What he was suggesting is that merely being an atheist doesn't say anything one way or the other on these issues. Some atheists will be self-doubting and introspective. Others may not be.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It likely depends on the individual. Whether or not they entertain some notion that there may be the supernatural/godly/unknowable-realities that usually come along for the ride with theism.

I, for one, do not entertain such notions. Such things would need to be demonstrated to me, or an undeniable case presented that left no room for doubt that such was an intrinsic part of the reality I experience. Otherwise it does nothing more than make for interesting stories.

I have never been given even one compelling reason to doubt the position I take on the supernatural/God/etc. Everything usually boils down to claims that such things cannot be demonstrated due to their very nature. But that exact same excuse can be made for no end of fanciful things, and isn't worth the breath required to speak it.

a persons thoughts are not someone else's to prove. i'm not speaking of gods, deities, or spirits.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That wasn't how I read that answer. What he was suggesting is that merely being an atheist doesn't say anything one way or the other on these issues. Some atheists will be self-doubting and introspective. Others may not be.

he's speaking from a third person perspective. you are too.

i'm an atheist who is self doubting

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So, does this imply you're asking about ALL self-doubt? Not just whether or not they doubt the stance they have taken on the religious/theistic front? Because atheists are humans too... obviously... and there is plenty of room to doubt oneself on a whole host of topics and subjects.

i'm asking atheists for a first person perspective about what they observe in themselves.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
i'm asking atheists for a first person perspective about what they observe in themselves.

OK, it wasn't clear that is what you were asking. It looked like you were looking for a single answer that would apply to all atheists.

For myself, like I said, I try to subject all my beliefs to challenge. I think about my place in the universe and in society. I try to question everything.

HonestJoe

Maybe you should have actually said that in the OP instead of the meaningless word-salad you did post. You do know that you’re allowed to write full sentences, even entire paragraphs, if necessary to get your point across? ;)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Maybe you should have actually said that in the OP instead of the meaningless word-salad you did post. You do know that you’re allowed to write full sentences, even entire paragraphs, if necessary to get your point across? ;)
my point isn't obviously everyone else's focus. salads come in many assortments. you order yours just like everyone else orders their reality. we do it the best with what we know and fill in the gaps with what we believe..

people identifying as something should know something about themselves from a 1st person perspective. why then look to another?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Self Doubt is not a bad thing..
you are correct. we should hold everyone to the same standards and not exclude self.

i have speeded up the process because i don't always have all the questions. the nudges i can't see can come from inside, or outside.