• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the negative outweigh the positive?

There is more [blank] in the world

• Positivity

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Negativity

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Universally, does the negative outweigh the positive?

I don’t need to explain the negatives of the world. We are all aware of it, even if sheltered from it.

Do the positive experiences of the world outweigh war and poverty?

Personally, I am left pondering this often.

Is your life more full of negative experiences or positive ones?

To the one at the receiving end of a bomb, bullet, or starvation, I think I would know their answer.

For me to live comfortably, someone or something must not.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Wars, competitions, conflicts happen because people take life too seriously.
As if we were eternal.
We all are mortal...so is it really worth it to fight for useless things?

I prefer the indolence of the average Roman citizen who thinks that life is a total boredom...
;)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Wars, competitions, conflicts happen because people take life too seriously.
As if we were eternal.
We all are mortal...so is it really worth it to fight for useless things?
Or perhaps people don't take life seriously enough, hence the madness.
It's not worth fighting for such useless things no
I prefer the indolence of the average Roman citizen who thinks that life is a total boredom...
;)
Boring! Well as for me, my life has been anything but. A boring life must be a good one.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

From the Eastern perspective I believe, the Kali yuga, dark age, that has been going on through recorded history is more negative by far. In the Satyuga, golden age the reverse is true.

My personal life is much more positive.

A boring life must be a good one.

Not to me. Facing and overcoming challenges is to me a good life.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Personally, more positive than negative. My history has been bouts of both extremes but I've worked hard to make it positive.

On a larger scale i see more people who seem to be reasonably happy with their lot than the few who are living negatively.

On a world scale i think it depends where you live, both country and local environment and what your government is like.

Anyway i took the poll as a personal thing so voted positive

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don’t need to explain the negatives of the world. We are all aware of it, even if sheltered from it.

To the one at the receiving end of a bomb, bullet, or starvation, I think I would know their answer.

If it is, then one is out of harmony and balance.

Erebus

From my own perspective, negativity outweighs positivity. I find that negatives have a tendency to linger in my mind, whereas positives are fleeting. I do my best to shut out my intrusive thoughts and tendency to brood but it doesn't take a lot to break my defences. I often find myself having to avoid watching or reading the news for the sake of my health. The sheer amount of suffering in the world gets to me.

All that said, I can't claim that the world is universally more negative than positive. I can't speak for others on their own experiences and perspectives. I also can't assign an objectively correct weight to negative or positive events.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Neither answer in the poll reflects my views.

How one perceives "positive" and "negative" in this world is merely about perspective, and for many, if not most, people the balance is in constant flux.

I predict "negative" will win out in this poll, because in my experience, it's human nature to focus on the negative and take the positive for granted and not even think about it. They focus on the atrocities which take center stage, and ignore the beauty.

Look at your news. How many negative stories did you hear/read today vs how many positive ones? "Negative" is the default human condition. It takes effort to recognize the beauty of waking up to a roof over one's head, food in the pantry, that first cup of coffee, seeing a beautiful sunrise, sending someone a smile while on a morning stroll and having them smile back, and the laughter of a child at play.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I think your question is far too broad to be answerable.
You could make a case for both.

RestlessSoul

From my own perspective, negativity outweighs positivity. I find that negatives have a tendency to linger in my mind, whereas positives are fleeting. I do my best to shut out my intrusive thoughts and tendency to brood but it doesn't take a lot to break my defences. I often find myself having to avoid watching or reading the news for the sake of my health. The sheer amount of suffering in the world gets to me.

All that said, I can't claim that the world is universally more negative than positive. I can't speak for others on their own experiences and perspectives. I also can't assign an objectively correct weight to negative or positive events.

It seems to be a common if not universal human trait, that positive thoughts and feelings pass through us quickly and without hindrance, whereas negative ones linger and are hard to let go of.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I can't really answer either, given that it's difficult to weigh up all the positives and negatives so as to form some summation of these. And such might depend upon knowing so much about the lives of others, which even for a well-travelled person might not be the same as living the lives of others. I think some things do tend to cause more negativity than positivity - a few of such being, attachment to wealth, political affiliations, and for many, their religious beliefs - all of which can impact others so as to cause much negativity.

PureX

Veteran Member

Interesringly, only you can determine this for yourself. It is within your control to decide either way. It's not in the control of circumstance.

RestlessSoul

Interesringly, only you can determine this for yourself. It is within your control to decide either way. It's not in the control of circumstance.

Not entirely within the control of circumstance. But there are times in life, probably in every life, when you have to work really hard to see the positive. And other times, when life seems to shower us with unearned blessings.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Life is a challenge.

I don't personally think the negative outweighs the positive just that we dwell on the negative more and minimize the positive.

Dwelling on the negative, the negative is painful and we don't like feeling pain so we keep it longer so that we don't have to feel it again

The positive is happy other peoples happiness sometimes makes us feel negative so we avoid it. Our own happiness makes us feel negative when we see others in negative experiences.

I say it a lot but it's do to survival extinct. Negative could cause you pain and death and needs to be avoided. Positive causes good feelings release of stress, it is not something you need to survive.

That said there are extremely optimistic people in the world.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I didn't vote in the poll, as I don't see it as an either/or question. "Positive" and "negative" are always in flux, or put more colloquially, we all have our ups and downs. It seems to vary between individuals. Some people might have a better life than others. Some might compare their lives with others and conclude that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

It's all just perspective. Whose life is more ideal?

51e122d121de73fa4be95e7af3c0e226.gif

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Boring! Well as for me, my life has been anything but. A boring life must be a good one.
In my opinion people do want their lives to be hectic and excessively moved.

I mean...if a man thinks that marriage and family makes his life much more complicated and with so many troubles, why do they get married?
Nobody forces them.
And yet most people get married. The other way around should be the rule. Few people get married and make children...and most people don't.
It doesn't add up :)