• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Bible contradict itsself?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I started watching the 1st video and lost interest at contradiction #2 when he dismisses it because he's not an interior designer and can't tell the difference between scarlet and purple.

David1967

Premium Member
Be more specific. Which book included in the bible? The bible isn't one book. It's a collection of books written by many different people over a span of several hundred years.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You're making a lot of threads and I responded to one and you did not answer my question. Seems like you're kinda just spamming.

The Anointed

There are many erroneous translations within the scriptures, many of which have been revised and corrected, and many of which are still waiting to be rectified. Such as seen in Isaiah 7:14; where in the KJV, it is said that a 'VIRGIN' who is pregnant will bear a son, ect, but this has been rectified in the NRSV and other more modern translations, and now read, "An unmarried female, who is pregnant will bear a son and he shall be called Immanuel.

There are many other apparent contradictions which are not contradictions at all, such as seen in 2nd Samuel 14: 27; where it is written; "Absalom had 3 sons and one daughter named Tamar, a very beautiful woman. This would appear to contradict 2nd Samuel 18: 18; because there it is said that, "During his lifetime Absalom had built a monument for himself in Kings Valley, because he had no son to keep his name alive, so he named it after himself and to this day it is known as Absaloms monument.

And again in 1st Chronicles 2: 13; where it is revealed that Jesse had 7 sons King David being the seventh and youngest son, but in 1st Samuel 17: 12; it is said that Jesse had 8 sons.

There are many, many, more, but my favorite TV show has just started so I will catch you later

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Third video is nice. I did not know there were so many contradictions. I mean 40.000 that is a lot.

So I googled and found that the Bible has 30.000 verses. Then 40.000 contradictions is a lot.

Might this maybe also be a contradiction? Or do they count some verses double? Must be !

I like Bible verses, but you must be a Bible lover to search and find 40.000 contradictions

But being a Bible Lover I would look for matches, not contradictions. So might this be a Hoax?

And being a Bible Lover, after 40.000 contradictions it might have turned into Bible Hater

But can Bible Hater be trusted? I do not so easily believe anymore. This seems a little much to me.

Anyway if 1% is true = 400 contradictions then Christians better pray more; we need updates NOW.

Note: Probable it is a group of Bible Haters finding them all 40.000. But maybe they think about
Jesus and the Bible 24/7. They could even become Bible Lovers also. Hate and Love are close

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Bible is an edited, redacted, and compiled over 2,000 years ago with an ancient world view of God and our relationship with God. IT is vastly contradictory with the contemporary world, Because many diverse sources edited were relied on for the compilation the Bible is obviously internally contradictory.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Because many diverse sources edited were relied on for the compilation the Bible is obviously internally contradictory
That is a good one. We had as kids a nice game "whisper a story in the ear next to you; after 10 kids nothing left of the original story".
Then translate them and put together those stories in 1 book called the Bible, then it makes sense, that nothing makes sense anymore
Lucky the human has common sense and discrimination and conscience, so he can create his own Bible that makes some sense IMHO
But I must say that, although there are many contradictions in the Bible, there are also many inspiring stories and when using brain it's safe

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Lucky the human has common sense and discrimination and conscience, so he can create his own Bible that makes some sense IMHO.

Yes, but this optimistic for believers in general.

But I must say that, although there are many contradictions in the Bible, there are also many inspiring stories and when using brain it's safe

True, in particular I like the Psalms,

A Vestigial Mote

Or if you want to do your own research:

http://bibviz.com/

Click on any red line.
Just found and used that site myself in another thread where the OP was something along the lines of "Come at me with your best Bible contradictions and I will tell you why they aren't - unless you're scared." So I found a line I liked on that site and it ended up being God telling the Israelites to go smackdown and rob a group/tribe that had apparently stolen from them previously - which obviously breaks the "Thou shalt not steal" commandment.

I got back responses that basically amounted to "It's not stealing if an authority tells you it is okay to take someone else's stuff." or "It's not stealing if it is done as retribution." I wonder why modern day police don't just inform people that they are within their rights to just go and rob someone who has robbed them then? If it's good enough for God...

A Vestigial Mote

Does the Bible contradict itsself?
I watched about half of the first video. Let's face it... I'm not going to sit through 2 and a half hours of this stuff. And I do have to admit that the speaker did a good job instilling reasonable doubt, or even in some cases, completely alleviating the burden of "contradiction" - like the very first one - "Did Jesus answer his accusers?" - I came through admitting that yes, that one is incredibly weak, actually refuted by the scripture, in which Jesus does speak, just not about the accusations beyond basically, "Yes, I am he that you seek." However, what I saw beyond that were a lot of word games - especially when it came to the days/nights thing.

At any rate - NONE of this answers to the idea that The Bible is supposedly inspired by a God who (with His timeless and infinite wisdom) supposedly would have known EXACTLY the items that people (like atheists) would take issue with, and yet He still inspired the text to be written with these internal issues. If there were no apparent contradiction - "scarlet" vs. "purple" for example - then there would be no talk about it. How easy would it have been for God to inspire wholly corroborating words in the accounts? Supposedly very easy, according to some - and if anyone claims it would have been very difficult, then they also have to admit a limit to their God. And if the answer is, instead, that God left the slightly contradictory points in there in order to test faith, or to "separate the wheat from the chaff" - then an even more glaring contradiction has to be admitted - that being that God is said to love His creations and wants that they return to Him. To make that process more difficult, while at the same time desiring that it be so... that is contradictory.