• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Bible contradict itsself?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If you had ever attempted to reconcile those apparent Contradictions that you put forward, you would have discovered that most were simply erroneous interpretations, as are the three examples that I put forward. But atheists don't want those apparent contradictions reconciled.

So I will let you remain happy in your ignorance to the truth.

You seem to have me confused with an apologist. I don't interpret, i read what is written. Seems you don't.

The Anointed

You seem to have me confused with an apologist. I don't interpret, i read what is written. Seems you don't.

If I were like you and read only that which is written, then like you, I would see biblical contradictions everywhere.

In Acts 9: 7; we read, "And the men which journeyed with him [Saul] stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

Then in Acts 22:9; in reference to the same event, we are told, "And they that were with me saw indeed the light and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me." If like you, I simply accepted what is written, I would see that as a contradiction, But with a little study this apparent contradiction is seen to be no more than an erroneous translation of the Greek word, "akouo."

In Acts 9:7; the Greek "akouo" meaning "To give ear" or "to hear," is used. The same Greek term is used in Acts 22: 9; but we know from 1st Corinthians 14: 2; where it is written, "The one who speaks in strange tongues does not speak to others but to God, because no one UNDERSTANDS him." The Greek "akouo" is used here also, but in this instance it is translated to mean “Understand." and so Acts 9:7; reveals that the men who were with Paul heard the voice, but saw no man, while Acts 22: 9; reveals that although they saw no man, they did see the light from which a voice spoke, but they did not understand what the voice they heard was saying. No contradiction.

Then again, if I were like you and accepted what is written, I would see 2nd Samuel 14: 27; "Absalom had 3 sons and one daughter named Tamar, a very beautiful woman, as a contradiction to 2nd Samuel 18: 18; Where it is written; "During his lifetime Absalom had built a monument for himself in Kings Valley, because he had no son to keep his name alive, so he named it after himself and to this day it is known as Absalom’s monument.

But with a little study, we find that the Hebrew appellation "BEN" can means son, grandson or male descendant, and although Absalom had no sons, his beautiful daughter married Rehoboam the son of Solomon and bore three grandsons and a granddaughter to her father Absalom. No contradiction.

And again in 1st Chronicles 2: 13; it is revealed that Jesse had 7 sons, King David being the seventh and youngest son, but in 1st Samuel 17: 12; it is said that Jesse had 8 sons. This too would appear to be a contradiction to those who are unfamiliar with the scriptures and attack the word of God with anything that they see as a contradiction.

But on reading 1st Samuel 16, we find that the prophet Samuel is sent to the house of Jesse to choose a replacement King to Saul, who God had rejected, and the sons of Jesse are presented in the order of their ages, after seven had been presented and all rejected, Samuel asked Jesse if he had any other sons, and the young David was then presented, chosen and anointed by the prophet.

This reveals that the eighth son was older than David and with a little study, one will discover his name and the fact that he is an adopted son of Jesse. No contradiction.

Well, I'm off to bed, good night all.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If I were like you and read only that which is written, then like you, I would see biblical contradictions everywhere.

In Acts 9: 7; we read, "And the men which journeyed with him [Saul] stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

Then in Acts 22:9; in reference to the same event, we are told, "And they that were with me saw indeed the light and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me." If like you, I simply accepted what is written, I would see that as a contradiction, But with a little study this apparent contradiction is seen to be no more than an erroneous translation of the Greek word, "akouo."

In Acts 9:7; the Greek "akouo" meaning "To give ear" or "to hear," is used. The same Greek term is used in Acts 22: 9; but we know from 1st Corinthians 14: 2; where it is written, "The one who speaks in strange tongues does not speak to others but to God, because no one UNDERSTANDS him." The Greek "akouo" is used here also, but in this instance it is translated to mean “Understand." and so Acts 9:7; reveals that the men who were with Paul heard the voice, but saw no man, while Acts 22: 9; reveals that although they saw no man, they did see the light from which a voice spoke, but they did not understand what the voice they heard was saying. No contradiction.

Then again, if I were like you and accepted what is written, I would see 2nd Samuel 14: 27; "Absalom had 3 sons and one daughter named Tamar, a very beautiful woman, as a contradiction to 2nd Samuel 18: 18; Where it is written; "During his lifetime Absalom had built a monument for himself in Kings Valley, because he had no son to keep his name alive, so he named it after himself and to this day it is known as Absalom’s monument.

But with a little study, we find that the Hebrew appellation "BEN" can means son, grandson or male descendant, and although Absalom had no sons, his beautiful daughter married Rehoboam the son of Solomon and bore three grandsons and a granddaughter to her father Absalom. No contradiction.

And again in 1st Chronicles 2: 13; it is revealed that Jesse had 7 sons, King David being the seventh and youngest son, but in 1st Samuel 17: 12; it is said that Jesse had 8 sons. This too would appear to be a contradiction to those who are unfamiliar with the scriptures and attack the word of God with anything that they see as a contradiction.

But on reading 1st Samuel 16, we find that the prophet Samuel is sent to the house of Jesse to choose a replacement King to Saul, who God had rejected, and the sons of Jesse are presented in the order of their ages, after seven had been presented and all rejected, Samuel asked Jesse if he had any other sons, and the young David was then presented, chosen and anointed by the prophet.

This reveals that the eighth son was older than David and with a little study, one will discover his name and the fact that he is an adopted son of Jesse. No contradiction.

Well, I'm off to bed, good night all.

And if i were like you and made things up to massage my sensibilities then i would only see what i wanted to see. But im not

Oh yes and of course if i used a time machine to cherry pick verses that matched my sensibilities things would be even better.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Then in Acts 22:9; in reference to the same event, we are told, "And they that were with me saw indeed the light and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me." Is this a contradiction?

2nd Samuel 14: 27; "Absalom had 3 sons and one daughter named Tamar, a very beautiful woman.

2nd Samuel 18: 18; "During his lifetime Absalom had built a monument for himself in Kings Valley, because he had no son to keep his name alive, so he named it after himself and to this day it is known as Absalom’s monument. Is this a contradiction?

And again in 1st Chronicles 2: 13; it is revealed that Jesse had 7 sons, King David being the seventh and youngest son, but in 1st Samuel 17: 12; it is said that Jesse had 8 sons. Is this a contradiction?

The above have been said to be biblical contradictions, by many back sliders, who have abandoned the faith that they once held, what is your opinion?
I'd like to know the opinions why they're not contradictions first. ;0)

The Anointed

And if i were like you and made things up to massage my sensibilities then i would only see what i wanted to see. But im not

Oh yes and of course if i used a time machine to cherry pick verses that matched my sensibilities things would be even better.

And I see that it is only apparent contradictions within scriptures, that you can use in your senseless attacks on Gods word that titillates the taste buds of your mind.

Well you go for it kiddo, that's no skin of the nose of one who will continues to reconcile those apparent contradictions.

user4578

his beautiful daughter married Rehoboam the son of Solomon and bore three grandsons and a granddaughter to her father Absalom.
I take it you are interpolating this from 2 Chronicles 11:18-20 where it is said that Maachah was the daughter of Absalom, and therefore assuming that Tamar was a nickname for Maachah given that Tamar was Absalom's actual daughter. But this is an assumption, which may be shown so by way of the argument you already propose, since 'Maachah' could have been his granddaughter using the same terms. Also, there were at least two Tamar's, one his sister, one his daughter, and at least two Machaah's, one his mother, one his daughter(granddaughter). In addition, there are other possible answers: either the sons weren't counted(2 Samuel 16:22), or they were born right after he died.

one will discover his name and the fact that he is an adopted son of Jesse.
Might you elaborate...who was 'adopted'? I have an answer, though to adoption I can say nothing.

The Anointed

I take it you are interpolating this from 2 Chronicles 11:18-20 where it is said that Maachah was the daughter of Absalom, and therefore assuming that Tamar was a nickname for Maachah given that Tamar was Absalom's actual daughter. But this is an assumption, which may be shown so by way of the argument you already propose, since 'Maachah' could have been his granddaughter using the same terms. Also, there were at least two Tamar's, one his sister, one his daughter, and at least two Machaah's, one his mother, one his daughter(granddaughter). In addition, there are other possible answers: either the sons weren't counted(2 Samuel 16:22), or they were born right after he died.

Might you elaborate...who was 'adopted'? I have an answer, though to adoption I can say nothing.

Reveal your answer and I will elaborate.

ChristineM

Premium Member
And I see that it is only apparent contradictions within scriptures, that you can use in your senseless attacks on Gods word that titillates the taste buds of your mind.

Well you go for it kiddo, that's no skin of the nose of one who will continues to reconcile those apparent contradictions.

Why would i attack harry potter? For the same i cannot attack your god, (which one of the 4000+ gods is that (excluding the 33 million Hindu gods))

Funny how some people consider discussion with individuals to be attacks on a god. I really cannot comprehend the egocentric nature of a claim.

You are welcome to your time machine.

The Anointed

Why would i attack harry potter? For the same i cannot attack your god, (which one of the 4000+ gods is that (excluding the 33 million Hindu gods))

Funny how some people consider discussion with individuals to be attacks on a god. I really cannot comprehend the egocentric nature of a claim.

You are welcome to your time machine.

Attacks on God's word, my friend. In other words, attacks on the bible, for you cannot attack that of which you have absolutely no comprehension.
[

ChristineM

Premium Member
Attacks on God's word, my friend. In other words, attacks on the bible, for you cannot attack that of which you have absolutely no comprehension.
[

Please provide your evidence that your god can write and that the bible is your gods word.
Because the evidence suggests the bible was written by around 40 different authors and not one of them was called god.
However, you obviously believe your god dun it, you are welcome to that belief but i know you can provide no evidence for your belief.

Tell me, how many times have you actually read the bible (i dont mean cherry picked the bits you like and ignored the rest) but actually read?

Also tell me how many different versions the bible you have read.

Then we can talk about whether i know the bible or you are simply trying to insult my intelligence and failing miserably

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
[
The Bible does not even make your blasphemous error. It never calls itself "God's word". That is an unwarranted assumption on your part and with all of the flaws in the Bible it means that you are calling God an incompetent liar. If he exists do you think that he will be happy with you?

The Anointed

The Bible does not even make your blasphemous error. It never calls itself "God's word". That is an unwarranted assumption on your part and with all of the flaws in the Bible it means that you are calling God an incompetent liar. If he exists do you think that he will be happy with you?

2 Peter 1: 21; "For no prophetic message ever came just from the human will, but people were under the control of the Holy Spirit as they spoke the message that came from God."

The bible says that the messages/Words that came from God were recorded by people who were under the control of the Holy Spirit.

Now atheists may not believe the words of the Lord, which were recorded by his chosen scribes, but they cannot deny that the Bible states that the prophetic words in the bible are the Word of God.

So when you say, It [the bible] never calls itself Gods word, you are proven to be wrong again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
2 Peter 1: 21; "For no prophetic message ever came just from the human will, but people were under the control of the Holy Spirit as they spoke the message that came from God."

The bible says that the messages/Words that came from God were recorded by people who were under the control of the Holy Spirit.

Now atheists may not believe the words of the Lord, which were recorded by his chosen scribes, but they cannot deny that the Bible states that the prophetic words in the bible are the Word of God.

So when you say, It [the bible] never calls itself Gods word, you are proven to be wrong again.
Do you see your failure here? You were supposed to find where the Bible claimed to be the word of God. This verse does not even come close. It only says that supposed prophecy comes from God, but since all we can find in the Bible is failed prophecy it seems to be saying that none of it is the word of God.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I’m a Christian — Been one most of my life. I’m an ordained clergy person. I’ve studied the Bible in-depth in graduate school. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what’s so heinous about recognizing the human agency of the texts. I don’t know what this pathological need is for folks to make the texts out to be what they are not.

I believe in divine inspiration of the texts, that doesn’t place any undue authority on the texts, or take away mistakes and contradictions.

The Anointed

Do you see your failure here? You were supposed to find where the Bible claimed to be the word of God. This verse does not even come close. It only says that supposed prophecy comes from God, but since all we can find in the Bible is failed prophecy it seems to be saying that none of it is the word of God.

Not 'SUPPOSED' prophecy my friend. Now please reveal that which in your opinion is failed prophecy as opposed to prophecy that is yet to be fulfilled.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't know where you get all your erroneous information from mate, but I suppose you are what you are.

https://beliefmap.org/prophecy-fulfilled/tyre
You have that backwards. You should be asking yourself where you get your erroneous information from.
Of course what did you do? You found a site that was willing to lie to you. If you want to discuss that prophecy that is fine with me. Just don't use dishonest sites. The first thing you need to do is to read the prophecy and what it says. It describes Tyre as an island, which was correct. Tyre used to be a nearshore island. It refers to thee cities associated with it on the land. If you find a site that mentions "Old Tyre" and tries to claim that was the land based city that is a lie. The value for Tyre always was the island. It was so long before Nebby attacked it and it was still valuable as an island after Nebby failed. Good old Zeke must have come across some bad mushrooms the day that he made that prophecy.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It always strikes me as perplexing that people treat prophecy as history instead of metaphor.