• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does present exists ?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But, those in "No-mind" state try their level best using the most appropriate words to convey their experience to others.
I have not found words to accurately convey such an experience.

PearlSeeker

Something that happened in the passed yoctosecond is said to be the — PAST

Something that will happen in the next coming yoctosecond is — FUTURE

What can happen in between this past — future ?

Does PRESENT exists ?
In the popular essay "Brain Time", David Eagleman explains that different types of sensory information (auditory, tactile, visual, etc.) are processed at different speeds by different neural architectures. The brain must learn how to overcome these speed disparities if it is to create a temporally unified representation of the external world:

if the visual brain wants to get events correct timewise, it may have only one choice: wait for the slowest information to arrive. To accomplish this, it must wait about a tenth of a second. In the early days of television broadcasting, engineers worried about the problem of keeping audio and video signals synchronized. Then they accidentally discovered that they had around a hundred milliseconds of slop: As long as the signals arrived within this window, viewers' brains would automatically resynchronize the signals. He goes on to say, "This brief waiting period allows the visual system to discount the various delays imposed by the early stages; however, it has the disadvantage of pushing perception into the past. There is a distinct survival advantage to operating as close to the present as possible; an animal does not want to live too far in the past. Therefore, the tenth-of-a-second window may be the smallest delay that allows higher areas of the brain to account for the delays created in the first stages of the system while still operating near the border of the present. This window of delay means that awareness is retroactive, incorporating data from a window of time after an event and delivering a delayed interpretation of what happened."​

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Something that happened in the passed yoctosecond is said to be the — PAST

Something that will happen in the next coming yoctosecond is — FUTURE

What can happen in between this past — future ?

Does PRESENT exists ?

Yes.
The past and future are in your mind, the present is where you live though you may not see it or feel it or hear it until it is past.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
---------------------------------------------- 0 -----------------------------------------
Past. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Me. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Future

Yup, makes sense. My brain is only wired for brief moments but everything else is still in play, so the present is my only existence. There is no future until it becomes my current moment, but the future is always present, so I'm just trying to catch up with it.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The present exists in the future - unless one can prove otherwise. And similarly - the present now exists in the past, even if none were around to record this. :oops:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The present exists in the future - unless one can prove otherwise. And similarly - the present now exists in the past, even if none were around to record this. :oops:
Only the present exists.

The future is not here yet. It does not exist until it becomes the present.

Once the future is here then it becomes the present.

The past is gone. As soon as the past becomes the present the past exists only as a memory.

I think it is a shame that so many people live in the past or in the future instead of in the present.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Only the present exists.

The future is not here yet. It does not exist until it becomes the present.
The present is here before you know it - and from the future.
Once the future is here then it becomes the present.

The past is gone. As soon as the past becomes the present the past exists only as a memory.

I think it is a shame that so many people live in the past or in the future instead of in the present.
But what happened cannot be undone. Hence the present exists in the past. :(