• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Hinduism have scientific evidence proving that it's a true religion?

Satsangi

Friends Kaisersose and Surya Deva,

Besides the Darshanas, following is the "proof" of the Soul, rebirths and hence the need for liberation and the "proof" of a liberated soul.

(1) Soul- What is missing in the body when it dies? That is the soul.

(2) Rebirths- Numerous examples across all the continents and cultures about people exactly remembering their previous borths.

(3) Existence of sorrow- worldly happiness is temporary. Even if one is happy today, he may not be happy tomorrow.

(4) Liberation- to stop the rebirths and attain an everlasting bliss. Hence the need of liberation.

(5) Liberated person- Just go for Darshana of liberated souls like Adi Shankara and Ramana Maharshi and the question about asking for the proof that they are liberated will appear foolish. Currently also there are such Mahatmas.

Regards,

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

Label it *soul/spirit/etc* its all parts of the MAHA [atma] or *whole* which personally prefer at this stage.
The point is that this thread was started by friend Eihab whose query was:
Does Hinduism have scientific evidence proving that it's a true religion?
.To which had responded thus:
It is all about being a part of TRUTH and not about a true path as there is no one path has been well understood by meditators long long ago.
which was acknowledged.
Thereafter friend Eihab has responded once but after that the thread has been going round and round.
Are we AWARE/conscious; not that it is important, it happens with every thread BUT the pointer here is Awareness or consciousness is the element that helps the mind created veil to lift and not allowing the mind to take us through various proofs, history, books, etc.etc. They only provide us with pointers to uplift the awareness of what the *self* IS in reality.

Well its HOLIDAY season even for awareness; meantime MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Love & rgds

atanu

Premium Member
Friend atanu,

Label it *soul/spirit/etc* its all parts of the MAHA [atma] or *whole* which personally prefer at this stage.

Friend

I have been trying to send across the word that Paramatma is partless but appears parted, as per Vedanta scripture. If it ever got parted and associated with karma of all parts, then it would be stained and not immortal. Parts are in Mahat -- the universal mind.

We can discuss this in another thread, if so wished.

The point is that this thread was started by friend Eihab whose query was: .To which had responded thus: which was acknowledged.
Thereafter friend Eihab has responded once but after that the thread has been going round and round.

Agree.

Love and Regards

kaisersose

Even if there are millions that are happy as you claim, there are billions that are not, do not have access to clean water, live in poverty, disease and illiteracy.

Billions is a stretch. It also goes against the alleged merits of Indian darshanas dating back to thousands of years. if they really worked, why would we still have billions of unhappy people today, as you claim? And the people who are happy around us did not get there by following Indian religions stressing on the need for a liberation of the soul. Clearly then, these doctrines have failed to achieve what they set out to. But like I said earlier, I do not think the majority of the world is unhappy. Do we have any objective evidence to measure this? In absence of such evidence, I would not attempt to count happy and unhappy people.

If one looks at history one finds a history of constant war, of genocide, of death and destruction.

I can also show prolonged periods of time in several places where there was no war and no destruction. We tend to notice and highlight wars and ignore/downplay times of peace, making it appear as if there were too many wars.

If you do not share this aspiration for humanity then there is something wrong with you.

Yes. And if you have not learnt from history, then there would be something wrong with you. The Buddha preached peace 2600 years ago. Jesus preached love 2000 years ago. And yet, people who professed to follow these religions have perhaps engaged in more destruction than anyone else. Other religious beliefs that encouraged detachment from society and focus on the individual's liberation have failed miserably too. We have thousands of years of evidence to realize this fact. Obviously then, these problems you talk about cannot be svoled by any existing religion. It has failed to work all these years and there is no evidence that it will work in future.

Violence is in our nature. External factors like religion have very limited impact on our ability to suppress these violent tendencies. If a solution exists to this problem, then it has to be outside religion. But that will not work you as you have invested too much time and effort in religion.

This is not surprising, because you do not accept inference as a valid means of knowledge. You accept only perception. However, the truth is you do accept inference as well, but only inference when it suits you.

I already made it clear that I accept inference within reason. I will infer the presence of a driver from a moving car. I will not infer the presence of a ghost from the sound of wind in the darkness. Even perception has its limits and this is recognized by scholars of all darshanas that accept perception as a valid means to knowledge. Your world view leads you to believe there must be some kind of liberation for man. My world view does not lead me there. Our existence is imperfect and at this point, we are stuck with these imperfections.

1) Religion has created a market to exploit this condition. We can learn to see through these snake oil solutions; see that they do not really work and learn to live amidst our perfect environment as best as we can.

2) We can explore new options (not rehash failed attempts) to get around these imperfections. But such an attempt would have nothing to do with religion, the soul or some afterlife state of permanent euphoria. It would have to be a sensible attempt to find a solution in this world and in this life and something that can apply to the majority and not one in a million.

The Nyaya prove that the soul's properties are not reducible to the 5 elements. It is clear that the qualities of pain, pleasure, ignorance and knowledge and intention are not present in the 5 elements. How then do the 5 elements originate the self? To suggest that they would combine in a certain combination(charvaka argument) and form a self is nothing short of magic. There is no property within that can lead to the properties of pain, pleasure, ignorance and knowledge.

How do you know there is nothing in the basic elements to create the self? That is Pratyaksha to me and I see no reason to reject it. If there is a problem with what is perceived, then we can look at other options. I argue that Nyaya's alternate hypothesis raises more questions than it answers. Given that we have multiple such alternatives, Occam's razor leads me to accept the simplest of them all - Svabhava-vada or the Lokayata/Carvaka position. Modern science comes closest to this position as well. It is possible that we may discover or learn something new someday that will change this. On that day, I will change my position which is the method of Lokayata.

The Samkhya produce a similar argument, but more complex. All matter has the property of change and production. There is no matter that does not change and transform. However, consciousness does not change and nor is it ever produced. If it did change as well then it would be impossible to note change, because change requires something to remain constant between change to note it has changed. Therefore consciousness is constant and unchanging. It is therefore disitnct from matter.

I state that conscisousness has a beginning and an end. X was born at time T1 and died at time T2. T1 is when his consicousness was created and T2 was when it ended. There is no reason to look for an alternative.

The Vedanta produce an argument very similar to Samkhya. The observer cannot the observed. Whatever I can observe cannot be 'I' Everything that is observed is what takes place in time and space. Therefore I cannot be in time and space. If I am not in time and space, then it means I am eternal and infinite. I was never born, so I can never die.

If I cannot observe myself I would not know I exist. But I do know I exist and that means I am able to observe myself. No reason to put myself beyond time and space.

Last edited:

kaisersose

Friends Kaisersose and Surya Deva,

Besides the Darshanas, following is the "proof" of the Soul, rebirths and hence the need for liberation and the "proof" of a liberated soul.

(1) Soul- What is missing in the body when it dies? That is the soul.

The body has destructed to a state where it has permanently lost the ability to be conscious. I do not see this as evidence of a soul. When you bring in the concept of a soul, it opens numerous questions -

a. What is the nature of this soul?
b. Where does it go?
c. When was it created?
d. If it will be reborn again, what is common between this new person and the previous person?

This is a just a sample set. If we introduce the concept of a soul here, we ought to be able to clearly answer all these questions and more. Else, it is not scientific.

(2) Rebirths- Numerous examples across all the continents and cultures about people exactly remembering their previous borths.

I have heard numerous stories of miracles in India as well and have failed to see even a *single* one. All paranormal claims, when investigated have been found to be false. Even conceding that someone describes incidences from a place/time he claims was not exposed to, this does not indicate reincarnation. There can be any number of other plausible reasons.

Benny Hin makes people faint on the stage by simply touching them. Do we believe it? Simply because we see it on TV, or simply because we heard a number of similar stories does not make it true. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" and this is why reincarnation, soul, etc., are still in the realm of the paranormal.

(3) Existence of sorrow- worldly happiness is temporary. Even if one is happy today, he may not be happy tomorrow.

Or he may be. There is no rationale behind this and it is purely random, thus proving nothing.

(4) Liberation- to stop the rebirths and attain an everlasting bliss. Hence the need of liberation.

Is predicated on the validity of the previous claims. Until they are proved, this is not proved.

As there is no recollection of past births, whay are you interested in liberation? If your Sadhana in this life will result in a soul getting liberated after one or two more lives, then there is no relation between you as you know youself today and that soul or individual getting liberated. Why are you working to liberate someone else? Recollection is the key factor here and without that, sadhana is a pointless exercise. Unless one is somehow convinced he will be liberated in a reasonably short time while still alive and spend a considerable portion of his lifespan as a liberated person.

(5) Liberated person- Just go for Darshana of liberated souls like Adi Shankara and Ramana Maharshi and the question about asking for the proof that they are liberated will appear foolish. Currently also there are such Mahatmas.

Both Shankara and Ramana are dead. As I said earlier, hindsight is 20/20 and inaccurate. Who are these living personalities? Putaparthi Sai Baba? I know people who are absolutely sure that he is enlightened, some who are absolutely sure that he is an avatar and many who are absolutely sure he is bogus. Where does that leave us? Same with UG, Osho...the list is long.

We have already discussed this topic in other threads on this forum.

Regards,

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Billions is a stretch. It also goes against the alleged merits of Indian darshanas dating back to thousands of years. if they really worked, why would we still have billions of unhappy people today, as you claim? And the people who are happy around us did not get there by following Indian religions stressing on the need for a liberation of the soul. Clearly then, these doctrines have failed to achieve what they set out to. But like I said earlier, I do not think the majority of the world is unhappy. Do we have any objective evidence to measure this? In absence of such evidence, I would not attempt to count happy and unhappy people.

Hmm, why would it be the failure of Indian philosophy that billions are unhappy today? Indian philosophy only represents India and not the world, and as far as we can tell from historical evidence Indians did indeed live quite prosperously. They had schools and universities, hospitals and a massive work sector to employ peple. The GDP of the Indian economy were the years 1D to 10AD was aprox 33%,the highest that any country has had in history. The census records even in the 19th century report every province had tens of thousands of schools. The remarkable philosophical and scientfic tradition that developed in India is evidence of a healthy religion. Your Charvakas would have been killed in other parts of the world.

India's state today is the result of the British empire plundering it for 300 years of its wealth, poisoning and distorting its history to create a generations of Indians alienated from their history and culture. Indian philosophy cannot be blamed for this. The blame stands squarely on the British for economic genocide on India. Many Indian and Western intellectuals have noted how devestating British rule of India was. It is a history of 300 years of rape(even literal rape, Indian women were raped in public by the British in front of their families)

I can also show prolonged periods of time in several places where there was no war and no destruction. We tend to notice and highlight wars and ignore/downplay times of peace, making it appear as if there were too many wars.

I do not dispute we had periods of peace and even good periods in history, but to take this as being equivalent to the periods of war, death, destruction etc is dishonest. The history of humanity has been almost constant war and strife, especially outside of India. The darkest period has been the modern period in fact where entire civilisations have been systematically slaughtered such as the Native Americans and Aborigines. The African civilisation suffered immensely for hundreds of years through enslavement and exploitation. In modern times we have fougt two devestating world wars, and encountered massive genocides where innocent people have been killed(Germany, Soviet Union, China, Africa, Indonesia) in millions or hundreds of thousands.

I think you take your peace and freedom for granted. Even today if you were living Africa or Iraq you would not be treating this suffering so lightly.

Yes. And if you have not learnt from history, then there would be something wrong with you. The Buddha preached peace 2600 years ago. Jesus preached love 2000 years ago. And yet, people who professed to follow these religions have perhaps engaged in more destruction than anyone else. Other religious beliefs that encouraged detachment from society and focus on the individual's liberation have failed miserably too. We have thousands of years of evidence to realize this fact. Obviously then, these problems you talk about cannot be svoled by any existing religion. It has failed to work all these years and there is no evidence that it will work in future.

You certainly have a case for the immense destruction done by the Abrahamic religions(Christianity and Islam) but I would like to hear your case for the destruction done by Hinduism and Buddhism?

Violence is in our nature. External factors like religion have very limited impact on our ability to suppress these violent tendencies. If a solution exists to this problem, then it has to be outside religion. But that will not work you as you have invested too much time and effort in religion.

If violence is in our nature then we would always be violent and we would be peaceful. This is not true, humans are capable of love, compassion, kindness, humour. In fact when the human is in a normal state he/she is not violent at all, he/she is civil. This normal state occasionally gets disturbed by negative emotional states(anger, depression, lust, hate etc) which have psychological causes. It is evident that the physical object itself is not the cause, because not everybody would react in the same way. Somebody who is prone to anger will get angry at the slightest provocation, and somebody who is calm can remain remain calm even with severe provocation. I have seen people remain unphased even when subject to intense verbal abuse.

Therefore, rather than violence being natural to us, it is actualy a disturbance to our natural state. The good news is that it can be eradicated by learning how the mind works and developing psychological techniques to deal with negative emotional states. Yoga is widely considered the most effective psychological system to do this.

I already made it clear that I accept inference within reason. I will infer the presence of a driver from a moving car.

Yep, and your insistance on the conclusion of this inference being valid is equivalent to my insistance that my insistance the conclusions of my inference are valid.

I bet you accept atoms as well. Do you know that nobody has actually seen atoms?

I will not infer the presence of a ghost from the sound of wind in the darkness.

Nor would I. This is another one of your lovely strawmans to make inferences presented by darsanas other than your own sound silly. You misrepresent what they say and then refute the misrepresentation. Is this because you cannot refute what they actually say?

How do you know there is nothing in the basic elements to create the self? That is Pratyaksha to me and I see no reason to reject it. If there is a problem with what is perceived, then we can look at other options.

It is known by examining the the properties of the basic elements and the propeties of consciousness. Consciousness has the properties of desire, knowledge, ignorance and pain. The basic elements do not demonstrate any of these properties. If the sun for example had the property of ignorance and forgot to shine, all life on earth would end. If the parts of my body had intention, then they would do whatever they wanted. My legs would move by their own volition. Scary thought indeed.

Therefore the evidence is clearly showing the basic elements have no such properties that consciousness has. How then can they lead to producing consciousness? Does an apple seed ever produce an orange? Does a human couple ever give birth to dogs?

I argue that Nyaya's alternate hypothesis raises more questions than it answers. Given that we have multiple such alternatives, Occam's razor leads me to accept the simplest of them all - Svabhava-vada or the Lokayata/Carvaka position.

Yeah occams razor in this case is clearly supporting Nyaya. To say that matter somehow one day magically becomes develops an immaterial thing involves the fabrication of new entities. The truth is, it is you who are being irrational here and not religious people who insist consciousness is separate from matter. You are denying a very basic fact that we observe vis-a-vis matter and consciousness.

I state that conscisousness has a beginning and an end. X was born at time T1 and died at time T2. T1 is when his consicousness was created and T2 was when it ended. There is no reason to look for an alternative.

You are talking about a body which was born at T1 and died at T2. But we already know that the body is dying all the time. I don't have the same body I had when I was 5 or even 5 min ago. The cells are constantly renewing themselves. I still exist though. So why should it be any different when the body is completely gone?

If I cannot observe myself I would not know I exist. But I do know I exist and that means I am able to observe myself. No reason to put myself beyond time and space.

What do you observe yourself with? The 5 senses? The internal sense(which you rejected earlier) You never observe yourself. Your sense of "I" is not something you know through any of your senses. That "I-am-ness" is just there. It is a sense of beingness. It exists, that is why you know, experience or perceive anything. If it is not there, you would know nothing, experience nothing, perceive nothing. It precedes everything that you know, experience and perceive. It is therefore not an object you ever know through any means of knowledge. As all you know takes place in time and space, it therefore cannot be in time and space.

Last edited:

Satsangi

Friend Kaisersose,

(1) Consciousness itself is the evidence of the Soul. Soul is Satchitananda in nature. There are detailed description of what happens to the soul after it departs. The evidence of all this is by experience only. If interested in experiencing, find a Guru with 64 characteritics in Srimad Bhagvatam and surrender your mind to him. Do not expect a lab to "show" you the Atman because I promise you that the science as we know it will NEVER be anywhere near to finding the Atman. Science has no cure for common cold either, by the way.

(2) If you do not believe in rebirths it is upto you, but there are many such examples across all the cultures and continents which are not proven hoax. On the other side of the coin, truth for one is false for the other.

(3) It is a fact that sorrow exists, if one is in bliss all the time, please give me his address because that is the enlightened person.

(4) The fact that sorrow exists, makes it imperative to find a permanent state of bliss which is "liberation."

(5) Try sincerely looking for a person with the 64 characteristics in the Bhagvatam- that is the enlightened person and then go to him to experience what his presence can do. Start the attempts if sincerely interested.

By the way, Ramana Maharshi said that he is "not gone", but is still here. Go to Arunachala Mountains and you will find Ramana Maharshi keeping his promise. Personally, I do not need any "evidence" beyond the experience felt in the presence of an enlightened person to believe in the Scriptures and Spirituality.

Regards,

Last edited:

Surya Deva

There are rigorous scientific studies done on reincaration by investigating past life memories and birth marks etc One of the most important study was done by Ian Stenveon who investigated more than 2000 subjects across different cultures(cross-cultural studies) and found that the only hypothesis that could explain the data was reincarnation. His seminal work is a scientific report entitled, "20 cases suggestive of reincarnation" Where he picks out 20 of his best cases in his investigation.

Satsangi

There are rigorous scientific studies done on reincaration by investigating past life memories and birth marks etc One of the most important study was done by Ian Stenveon who investigated more than 2000 subjects across different cultures(cross-cultural studies) and found that the only hypothesis that could explain the data was reincarnation. His seminal work is a scientific report entitled, "20 cases suggestive of reincarnation" Where he picks out 20 of his best cases in his investigation.

Thank You Surya Deva for mentioning the study. I have a book on "Karma" which has a huge chapter on such cases and studies from across all the continents and various cultures.

Regards,

Wannabe Yogi

Your Charvakas would have been killed in other parts of the world.

Very true ! It is still against the law today for an Atheist hold public office in the state of Texas in the good old USA.

I believe that the Charvakas world view died in India not because they were Atheist but they did not stick to dharma as closely as other groups. My simple view is that any philosophy or religion is just fine as long as it creates kind and ethical human-beings.

kaisersose

Very true ! It is still against the law today for an Atheist hold public office in the state of Texas in the good old USA.
This is because of the Western thinking that atheists are immoral. Apparantly, christians are moral only because of their religion or else they would not be. Does not show them in a good light.

I believe that the Charvakas world view died in India not because they were Atheist but they did not stick to dharma as closely as other groups.

In other words, you are taking the same position as Texas!

Like I said above, this is a common misconception that morality originates from the individual's religious belief. I can point to a number of criminals who believe in a God and plenty of good, decent people who are atheists. There is no evidence that Charvakas were indecent people - anymore than Buddhists and Jains. All three were tarred with the same brush by theistic doctrines for not accepting the authority of the Veda.

It is not just Charvaka - Sankha, Buddhism, Nyaya, Vaiseshika, Purva-Mimamsa - all died out a long time ago. No reason to single out Charvaka on the grounds of Dharma.

kaisersose

Friend Kaisersose,
(1) Consciousness itself is the evidence of the Soul. Soul is Satchitananda in nature. There are detailed description of what happens to the soul after it departs. The evidence of all this is by experience only. If interested in experiencing, find a Guru with 64 characteritics in Srimad Bhagvatam and surrender your mind to him. Do not expect a lab to "show" you the Atman because I promise you that the science as we know it will NEVER be anywhere near to finding the Atman. Science has no cure for common cold either, by the way.
That is my point too. Atman is outside the realm of science. Just to be clear, we are not debating theism v atheism. We are discussing scientific evidence for Hindu beliefs.
(2) If you do not believe in rebirths it is upto you, but there are many such examples across all the cultures and continents which are not proven hoax. On the other side of the coin, truth for one is false for the other.
There are many stories of levitation around the world too (Discovery had a great program on this a few years ago). None of them held up to scrutiny. There is a common sense problem with reincarnation. What is common between me and all the others who had the same soul as me? But, this topic belongs to a different thread.
(3) It is a fact that sorrow exists, if one is in bliss all the time, please give me his address because that is the enlightened person.
If such a person exists, it would be impossible to identify him. Ergo, enlightenment cannot be proven. There is no evidence that Ramana was in bliss all the time. He used to get visibly annoyed over certain things and died of cancer. Have you met someone who is in bliss all the time? If yes, try pricking him with a pin or find something that would annoy the typical human and judge his reaction.
(4) The fact that sorrow exists, makes it imperative to find a permanent state of bliss which is "liberation."
I agree. We all want to be happy all the time and if that is not possible, we would at least want to not be unhappy. But such a state would have to be in *this* life, to make any sense and also not require several years of effort. Enlightenment that is supposed to happen after death means nothing. Enlightenment that is not available until one has lived most of this life working towards it, is not interesting either. As no such viable solution exists, mankind has generally accepted that working toward material prosperity (weath, fame, health, etc) is the best bet to be happy.
By the way, Ramana Maharshi said that he is "not gone", but is still here. Go to Arunachala Mountains and you will find Ramana Maharshi keeping his promise. Personally, I do not need any "evidence" beyond the experience felt in the presence of an enlightened person to believe in the Scriptures and Spirituality.
I have been to Arunachala (several times), walked around the hill (several times), spent time near his Samadhi and never felt a thing. I actually felt more excitement when I read about him. I was like you then - I had no reason to doubt any of this and so believed in everything that Ramana said - along with Shankara. Then, over time, something was missing and then I went the Jiddu Krishnamurti way which did not work either. Then I read UG and that finally cleared it all up. Looking back, I am a skeptic by nature and it was inevitable that I would get to this point.

But let us get back to the discussion of science in Hindu beliefs.

Regards,

Onkara

If such a person exists, it would be impossible to identify him. Ergo, enlightenment cannot be proven. There is no evidence that Ramana was in bliss all the time. He used to get visibly annoyed over certain things and died of cancer. Have you met someone who is in bliss all the time? If yes, try pricking him with a pin or find something that would annoy the typical human and judge his reaction.

I agree. We all want to be happy all the time and if that is not possible, we would at least want to not be unhappy. But such a state would have to be in *this* life, to make any sense and also not require several years of effort. Enlightenment that is supposed to happen after death means nothing. Enlightenment that is not available until one has lived most of this life working towards it, is not interesting either. As no such viable solution exists, mankind has generally accepted that working toward material prosperity (weath, fame, health, etc) is the best bet to be happy.

I agree.

Wannabe Yogi

In other words, you are taking the same position as Texas!

No, I am not. I don't view Atheists in a negative light. Bertram Russell is one of my heros. A society should judge individuals not on beliefs but behavior.

Like I said above, this is a common misconception that morality originates from the individual's religious belief. I do not believe that morals some from faith in a religion.

I don't believe that morals come from lip service to a set of beliefs. It comes from self refection and work.

It is not just Charvaka - Sankha, Buddhism, Nyaya, Vaiseshika, Purva-Mimamsa - all died out a long time ago. No reason to single out Charvaka on the grounds of Dharma.

People still have the writings from the other groups. They are still being taught. This is not true with the Charvaka. We have to piece together their system of thought from the Arguments of others. Their beliefs are extinct,and their texts not to be found. This is not because they are Atheists,many groups were Atheist. They believed things like it is ok to borrow money and not pay it back. From what I have read, still how can we really know due to the fact we can't read their arguments.

All that being said I would rather live next to a nice follower of Charvaka then A Hindu Fundamentalist in the VHP who wants to ethnicity cleanse all Muslims out of India. Even if he prays every day.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

As no such viable solution exists, mankind has generally accepted that working toward material prosperity (weath, fame, health, etc) is the best bet to be happy.

It is a given that it is not money or fame that makes you happy. I worked as a behavior consultant for young kids. Part of my route was the silicon valley. I worked in the homes of captains of industry giving parenting advice to children who are seen as problems. I was in rich people's homes at meal time and bed time. I can tell you many of these people are miserable. From the outside it all looks great. I have also seen middle class people who are very functionally happy.

I think having enough food, warmth, and a sense of accomplishment go along way to help us along the way to happiness. Still there needs to be more.

Sam Harris the famous atheist author has said a belief in God or the supernatural is not necessary for having Mystic experiences. The only way to know if he is right is by practicing the path to them.

Working for the collective good of our planet and our fellow humans have also been shown to create happiness in many peoples lives.

Also don't underestimate the power of exercise to fight depression.

Last edited:

Satsangi

Friend Kaisersose,

I have experieced the "presence of divinity" in a realized soul as well as in my life and hence was telling you about Sri Ramana Maharshi. That experience does not require support of any external proof. I am sure many others have had such an experience. Otherwise, there would be no faith in religion. Many "intellectuals" are hunting for a "proof". Now, can you see a bacteria without a microscope? If you insist on seeing it with a naked eye you will never succeed. Similarly, in Spirituality, asking for "scientific proof" in a lab is useless. One should get the "microscope" of a Guru and surrender to experience it. And without such an experience, one will always be hunting for an "intellectual proof".

"Bliss" does not mean that you do not cry with a pin prick or that you donot have cancer. Of course, pain is a function of the body. Bliss is the experience of the Atman or Paramatman. Such a person is a SthitaPrajna- he does not grieve over HIS loss and does not become overjoyed at HIS gains. Sri Raman Maharshi's cancer is a "pain" from you view point; is there any evidence that it was a "pain" to him? Is there any evidence that he made it a primary goal to get rid of the cancer? The answer is big NO. The fact that many from the world over came to experience the silence in his presence is a proof about him.

There are always 2 ways to look at things- take an example about Lord Krishna- (1) One way is that he was a human killed by a hunter in a forest (2) Second way is to believe that he was Paramatman who left the body this particular way. The second belief is that of a Bhakta and it revolves around an experience of Krishna's divinity/faith. Such a person may be a "fool" and "primitive" according to the person who believes in (1). But that does not make the Bhakta a fool.

Regards,

kaisersose

Apologies for a late reply. I am on a holiday schedule.

Hmm, why would it be the failure of Indian philosophy that billions are unhappy today? Indian philosophy only represents India and not the world, and as far as we can tell from historical evidence Indians did indeed live quite prosperously. They had schools and universities, hospitals and a massive work sector to employ peple. The GDP of the Indian economy were the years 1D to 10AD was aprox 33%,the highest that any country has had in history. The census records even in the 19th century report every province had tens of thousands of schools. The remarkable philosophical and scientfic tradition that developed in India is evidence of a healthy religion. Your Charvakas would have been killed in other parts of the world.

My point was religion cannot solve the problem of unhappiness. Nothing in what you have written above came to happen due to Sankhya or Vaisheshika. Schools, hospitals and economic prosperity come out out of human endeavor in the material world. We have evidence (by your own above admission) that religion has failed to solve the problem of pain, strife and unhappiness. If it did not work in the last 2000+ years, why do you think we should turn towards it now? How do you see your vision of a pure Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) completely and irreverisbly eliminate unhappiness in the world? I would also like to point out that liberation is focused on solving the pain of the individual and not of all mankind.

India's state today is the result of the British empire plundering it for 300 years of its wealth, poisoning and distorting its history to create a generations of Indians alienated from their history and culture. Indian philosophy cannot be blamed for this. The blame stands squarely on the British for economic genocide on India.
My position is to never blame others for our own shortcomings. By blaming others, we fail to recognize our own weakenesses and thereby, any chance of correcting them. We have to accept blame for letting foreigners rule us for a thousand years. We have to accept blame for a shameful defeat in the Indo-Sino war. We are unable to take Yediyurappa to task for his blatant misuse of power. We have had a consistent history of being weak and unless we accept that and stop hiding behind the fig leaf of non-violence and other excuses, there cannot be an improvement. Regardless of Biritish atrocities, our economic deterioration (and China's) was due to the industrial revolution changing the old world economy. There was a focus shift that happened in the West and the East was far removed from it. We were late in adapting and we are still playing catchup. But, we have the numbers and it is only a matter of time before the balance of powers is restored.

I think you take your peace and freedom for granted. Even today if you were living Africa or Iraq you would not be treating this suffering so lightly.
I am simply saying that it is not the case that the world is drowned in sorrow and misery - as religions claim. If we pick out a random set of hundred people around the world, ask them to follow a set of rules and work towards a permanent state of liberation (of their souls) that may happen after a few decades or after death, how many do you think will sign up? Hardly anyone, in my opinion. People are willing to live life the regular way working towards material gains - with its pains and pleasures. This is why Bhakti gained favor, as it allows man to live a material life and also be religious, by traveling to Tirupathi before a test or starting a new business, performing a pooja at home to increase annual household income. This way he is both religious (as he is supposed to be) and materialistic (what he really wants).

I bet you accept atoms as well. Do you know that nobody has actually seen atoms? ...Nor would I. This is another one of your lovely strawmans to make inferences presented by darsanas other than your own sound silly. You misrepresent what they say and then refute the misrepresentation. Is this because you cannot refute what they actually say?
As I stated earlier, empirical evidence is the goal. Inference is only a concern when dealing with the paranormal. All this has been addressed in texts like Jayanta Bhatta's Nyaya Manjari, Prashastapada's Bhashya on Vaisheshika, etc. I have never been to Japan and yet I have no reason to doubt its existence. But I am conscious and cannot find any indication that I am not my own body or that I can exist outside my body.

It is known by examining the the properties of the basic elements and the propeties of consciousness. Consciousness has the properties of desire, knowledge, ignorance and pain. The basic elements do not demonstrate any of these properties.Therefore the evidence is clearly showing the basic elements have no such properties that consciousness has. How then can they lead to producing consciousness? Does an apple seed ever produce an orange? Does a human couple ever give birth to dogs?
Again, the above texts state Lokayata as a purva paksha and deal with the exact same argument. To quote a few lines - The mixture of of the forms of matter that gives rise to conscisousness is not an arbitrary one.; it is a specific form of mixture leading to a specific kind of transformation (parinaama vishesha). When the forms of matter form the body, the transformation take place and consciousness appears in the body. But in things like the jar and others, the transformation does not take place and hence, they are not conscious. Secondly, it is not true that the quality in the effect comes from the quality in the cause. The various ingredients of a spiritious drink do not possess individually any intoxicating power; but when they are mixed in a particular proportion and undergo transformation, they become characterized by such power. The case of the body being conscious, in spite of its production out of unconscious material elements may be similarly explained. So long as one lives, transformation happens and the body remains conscious. When death comes, this transformation is lo longer there and the body becomes unconscious.

You are talking about a body which was born at T1 and died at T2. But we already know that the body is dying all the time. I don't have the same body I had when I was 5 or even 5 min ago. The cells are constantly renewing themselves. I still exist though. So why should it be any different when the body is completely gone?
Covered above.

What do you observe yourself with? The 5 senses? The internal sense(which you rejected earlier) You never observe yourself. Your sense of "I" is not something you know through any of your senses. That "I-am-ness" is just there. It is a sense of beingness. It exists, that is why you know, experience or perceive anything. If it is not there, you would know nothing, experience nothing, perceive nothing. It precedes everything that you know, experience and perceive. It is therefore not an object you ever know through any means of knowledge. As all you know takes place in time and space, it therefore cannot be in time and space.
This is a good one. I am conscious of myself. The five senses are for information received from outside and do not apply in this case. Nor do I need a separate sense to be aware of myself. By my own observation, this consciousness is inextricably tied to my body and hence is within time and space. Or to make it more clear, me or my consciousness has no existence apart from my body.

kaisersose

Friend Kaisersose,

I have experieced the "presence of divinity" in a realized soul as well as in my life and hence was telling you about Sri Ramana Maharshi.

1) Do you agree then, that if you had not met this realized soul or felt divinity in his presence, you would not be convinced? I have a friend who is a devout follower of Putaparthi Sai Baba. He used to be a frequent visitor and felt a change in his presence. And yet, many other did not feel that. There is no shortage of allegations of fraud against Sai Baba. Having never met him, who should I believe?

2) Not everyone felt the same way in the presence of Ramana. This has been my point all along. The whole thing is purely subjective and very specific to the individual's dispositions. What works for one does not work for another. Ramana offers a method of inquiring into oneself. Ramana says he tried it and it worked almost instantly. But how many people who followed this advice found the same thing as Ramana with the same amount of effort and time? There are people who have been practising self-inquiry for decades and yet are not where Ramana was. In short, there is no universal formula that can be followed by everyone.

The same is true of Gurus. Osho worked for some, Ramana for some and so on. It comes down to personal preferences and we should accept that. There is no objective criteria available and as long as we refuse to accept this, we are not stating things as they are.

Mimamsa stated clearly that none of this can be proven and therefore one should rely on scripture as the foremost authority. This positition was adopted by Vedanta later. If you agree that no scientific, empirical proof is possible for the existence of a soul and to identify a liberated person, then we are in agreement. These are matters of faith and belief in the words of a book or a certain individual - depending on our own dispositions - which are also subject to change over time.

Hypothetically, I may meet a person and be convinced that this person is liberated. But I cannot prove this to others. At best, I can only get others to meet him and they either feel the same way as I do - or not.

Wannabe Yogi

Friend Kaisersose,

I have experieced the "presence of divinity" in a realized soul as well as in my life and hence was telling you about Sri Ramana Maharshi.

I feel the same way. Most of the people I know, religious or not, respond in some way to the presence of a realized soul.

I have read about Atheist's who have had a private meeting with the Dali Lama who have said that he seems to fill up the whole room.

When my wife (we were dating at the time) met my teacher she was not religious at all. It had a profound affect that she did not expect or understand.