• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Hinduism have scientific evidence proving that it's a true religion?

Eihab

Journalist
Hi friends,
Does Hinduism have scientific evidences proving that it's a true religion?
Because I read that there are Hindu texts said the earth is 4.32 billion years old and I read something about evolution as well, it was in Yahoo answers, and the answers were vague, so I want to be sure and have clear information from you.
Thanks. :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Eihab,

I do not think that Hinduism has scientific proof that it is Truth. As it turns out, the individual experiences through meditation and devotion are not considered science, even if there are specific prescribed processes and clear results experienced by many people (ie. the opening of the chakras, and the specific experiences that are associated with these occurrences).

This religion certainly does hold some very interesting information that a number of noted philosophers and scientists have commented positively upon. Carl Sagan, Einstein and Jung are amongst the most famous.

Eihab

Journalist
Hi Madhuri,
Speaking of Carl Sagan, I remember when I watched his episodes "Cosmos" he mentioned at least one or two astronomy facts that were in Hinduism books, maybe I'm mistaken because it was a long time ago.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Madhuri,
Speaking of Carl Sagan, I remember when I watched his episodes "Cosmos" he mentioned at least one or two astronomy facts that were in Hinduism books, maybe I'm mistaken because it was a long time ago.

Yes, I think that's the one I watched too.

I always thought that Hinduism was a self-evidencing religion, in which one must experience the Divine in one's own fashion through sadhana, or spiritual discipline.

Some Hindus read into the Bhagavata Purana as mentioning atoms, but at times I'm just sceptical altogether. :D

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought that Hinduism was a self-evidencing religion, in which one must experience the Divine in one's own fashion through sadhana, or spiritual discipline.

Exactly. It provides the methods for realising reality. But it's only the individual who comes to realisation- so that can't be accepted as science. I would personally consider the results of Yogic practice to be proof, but would never expect to convince anyone else.

Alot of religions focus on miracles and proofs as evidences of the Faith's validity - the revelation of a spiritual book, the existence of miracles, some sort of magical happening that occurred in history...

The heart of Hinduism lies in its individual application, and not from some externality. Then why is Hinduism a true religion, and why the True religion? At least to me, the claim is something to the idea that 'ekam sat vipra bahudha vadanti,' that the Absolute Truth is One (however you may conceptualise it), but it is known by the intelligent by different names.

The Christians try to utilise evidence in the form of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection for the forgiveness of sins, while the Muslims try to advocate the scientific miracles of the Qur'an. Hinduism does not seek evidences of proof - just to invoke the presence of the Divine in one's life in whatever path (marga) they take.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Eihab,

Does Hinduism have scientific evidence proving that it's a true religion?

The label *hinduism* came about as have heard was due to Alexander who never knew how to pronounce *SINDHU* which is a river and which he crossed to enter this land and he pronounced it as HINDU and so HINDU and HINDUISM came about.
Otherwise the way of life here is SANATAN DHARMA and is open to all religions. Religion meaning a way or path to merge with that universal *WHOLE* which is labelled as BRAHMAN /GOD / TAO / etc.

It is all about being a part of TRUTH and not about a true path as there is no one path has been well understood by meditators long long ago.

Love & rgds

Wannabe Yogi

Is Hinduism beholden to science?

No and yes. Hinduism is a very flexible religion due to the fact that it is a family of faiths not just one. So many Hindu's tend to incorporate science into our faiths. Just like Hindu's have added foreign ideas into our belief systems since the beginning. We do have our fundamentalists who try to read the Hindu scriptures like science and a History text book. The raise in religious violence in India is proof of the existence of Hindu fundamentalism and the outcome of those types of beliefs.

Last edited:

Eihab

Journalist
It is all about being a part of TRUTH and not about a true path as there is no one path has been well understood by meditators long long ago.
How wonderful your words. :)

Satsangi

Hi Eihab,

Sanatana Dharma does not need Science to say that it is a true religion. In fact, science is the rules of functioning of the Aparaprakriti as conveyed by Lord Krishna in the Gita and these rules come from the God Himself.

The Paraprakriti is entirely a different issue and is above the limited reach of the Science as we know it.

Both Aparaprakriti and the Paraprakriti are God's own Shakti. The God is above these both and controls both of them.

I think this should answer your question about science and the Sanatana Dharma.

Regards,

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
It is considered a true religion because if followed under true understanding it can give any human being the same result that other followers have attested to. It is scientific to practicioners but not publicly deemed a science. In time it will as more and more meditate but since only a few choose these paths then only a few know it's a true religion.

kaisersose

Science and religion have little to do with each other.

The traditional position is Scripture exists to provide knowledge of the spiritual realm which cannot be known otherwise. For example, Vaishnavas would say the purpose of the Veda is provide one with knowledge of Hari/Vishnu - knowledge which cannot be obtained through any other means.

Any other information in there is secondary in importance and it is cerrtainly not the intent of these texts to provide knowledge on Science.They are religious texts and that defines their scope pretty clearly.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Let us clarify where SCIENCE and RELIGION stands viza viz each other so that we have no confusion and mix them together.

The MIND is the central point from where one starts the journey.
The journey when internal travelling into the self or studying about the mind itself and then after understanding one practices to be in the state of no-mind it is labelled as a RELIGION.
Whereas when one travels to know about that which our eyes can see is labelled as Science.
So it is understood that science has limitation due to its limitation of requiring a perceiver whereas the end goal of religion is to lose the perceiver totally and just be a part of the *whole*.
Is there any physical proof of anyone reaching such a state??
Well those who reach only state that one has to take the journey oneself to know the answer.

Love & rgds