• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Hinduism have scientific evidence proving that it's a true religion?

bhaktajan

YOGA = link to the supreme absolute truth (Krsnas tu Bhagavan svayam Adi-purusa)

interested in objects
interested in interaction
interested in mind
interested in non-dual reality . . .

Sankara-acarya: showed Atman and Brahman by (exigesis on the Upanishads) explaining them rationally.

Krishna explains all the above as encapsulated within three progressive stages of Yoga expertise:
1st Karma-yoga
2nd Gyana-yoga
3rd Bhakti-yoga

These three successive and consecutive paths are the natural progression taken by all living creatures throughout in both stratums of samsara-births:
Mundane dealings from childhood to schooling to house-holder duties.
and
Spiritual pursuits.

Re-Linking face-to-face in interpersonal pastimes with
The Supreme Personality of Godhead is the reason for yoga.

The Bhagavad-gita is the bible of Hinduism because the three checks/proofs, namely, Guru-Sadhu-Sastra, all atest to this.

This is what Krishna taught to the Rajas.
Elsewhere **Duryodhana's party is cooking up something different**.

kaisersose

Nyaya-Vaiseshiks, Yoga and Samkhya are also not about investigating mermaids and afterlife.

We have to disagree here. Nyaya/Sankhya were about aferlife and other worlds. As religious doctrines, that is all they were ultimately about. In addition to this, they relied on Sabda as a Pramana. Yyou have been consistenly leaving the latter out, thereby painting an incorrect picture. If they really had no use for Sabda as you claim, then why was it considered a valid Pramana? Sabda is unscientific and yet they found it necessary to include it as a valid means of knowledge. What does it say about them? Nyaya/Vaisheshika and Sankhya/Yoga started with the premise that there existed a soul, man was in bondage and was therefore incapable of being happy. That is neither Pratyaksha nor Anumana. Nothing scientific about it.

About your second statement on Puranic Hinduism, I would be hard pressed to find someone to agree with it - both in academia and among traditionals. Without "Puranic Hinduism" there would be no Rama or Krishna or Shiva and that would mean no Hinduism, as we know it. If you are familiar with history, you should know that Vaiseshika had no takers. It was quickly merged with Nyaya and that did not help much either resulting in it having a very short lifespan. Just like Buddhism was still quoted as a Purvapaksha by 15th century scholars though it had ceased to exist in India long before that, Nyaya, Sankhya and Lokayata were long gone too - before the 15th century. How then, can these doctrines which can only be described as short term fads become Hindu Philosophy? You are taking a curious position that has no mainstream support at all (It never did).

Superstition and fantasies to one are metaphysics to others. I would place them all in the same bucket for that reason. There are religions that consider all other religions as mere supersitions. One religion's cosmology, cosmogony, ontology. etc., would be dismissed by another as trash and the latter may also have its own alternate hypothesis. This is highly subjective and much as you would like to see it as scientific, I would not, because the difference between the two comes down to who you are talking to.

Philosophy does not contain any preconditions within it that formal reasoning can only be used for x, but not for y. You can use formal reasoning to establish any conclusion, as long as your argument obeys formal rules of logic. If the conclusion is demonstrated by your premises it is valid.

Not true. No Darshana acknowledged the validity of any of the others at any time, though they all extensively followed rules of logic. Again, I see you are ignoring history and relying on your own conception of what you call pure Hinduism - which is far removed from reality.

None of the arguments presented in Hindu philosophy are based on faith.

Their conclusions are! I will remind you once again of the acceptance of Sabda as a valid source of knowledge. I do not call their methods nor conclusions scientific as they were all subjective and all about the paranormal. The fact of the matter is, as held by Lokayatikas, that there is absolutely no objective evidence to prove the existence of any other world. This was true 3000 years ago and it is true for Christmas 2010. The inferences you consider scientific are no more than speculations to me. None of them can be proven, there exist multiple, conflicting inferences and that is not what I call scientific.

Pleae prove Karma to me (objectively) and we will talk about this further.

However, it is impossible to deny that we have means of knowledge other than our senses. They tell us divergent conclusions to what our senses tell us.

You mean a sixth sense? There is no evidence of such a sense and I would not call it scientific. Our sources of knowledge are limited the well known five senses, according to science.
The key differences in our views result from the value, nature of inferences. The sight of a moving car in the distance leads me infer the presence of a driver, though I cannot see the person. But my existence does not lead me to infer a creator. An individual's unwillingness does not lead one to infer the existence of a soul that will live after the body dies. There is no perception that leads one to infer the existence of a soul, period. But you are willing to place faith in Sankhya, Vaiseshika (their inferences) and conclude that there exists a soul spanning multiple lives; a soul that is in bondage and needs to be liberated. You cannot prove any of this to others, but you still like to believe these methods and conclusions to be objective in nature. This is why Lokayata kept dependendence on inferences (subjective) to the minimum.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Hi friends,
Does Hinduism have scientific evidences proving that it's a true religion?
Because I read that there are Hindu texts said the earth is 4.32 billion years old and I read something about evolution as well, it was in Yahoo answers, and the answers were vague, so I want to be sure and have clear information from you.
Thanks. :)
Define "true religion."

Surya Deva

Kaisersose, we cannot continue this discussion if you continue to use strawmans fallacies. You need to be honest about what Nyaya-Vaiseshika and Samkhya-Yoga taught. They did not investigate afterlife and mermaids and this is clear to anybody who has studied Nyaya and Samkhya and read their works. There is no hope for an intelligent discussion if you do not represent their views correctly.

If we were talking about gravity and I said Newton taught that gravity was invisible fairies, you would object that he did not teach that. Likewise, I object to your misrepresentations of Nyaya and Samkhya.

We have to disagree here. Nyaya/Sankhya were about aferlife and other worlds.

No, they were not. Nyaya was an inquiry into the science of reasoning. The Nyaya itself means from premise to conclusion. Here is what the first few sutras of the Nyaya sutras with commentaries included within it:

Supreme felicity is attained by the knowledge about the true nature of the sixteen categories, viz., means of right knowledge, object of right knowledge, doubt, purpose, familiar instance, established tenet, members [of a syllogism], confutation, ascertainment, discussion, wrangling, cavil, fallacy, quibble, futility, and occasion for rebuke.

Definition of the instruments of right cognition

3. Perception, inference, comparison and word (verbal testimony) these are the means of right knowledge.

Among the four kinds of cognition, perception is the most important;... when [a man] has once perceived the thing directly, his desires are at rest, and he does not seek for any other kind of knowledge; ...

4. Perception is that knowledge which arises from the contact of a sense with its object, and which is determinate [well defined], unnameable [not expressible in words], and non erratic [unerring].

the name is not (necessarily present and) operative at the time that the apprehension of the thing takes place; it becomes operative (and useful) only at the time of its being spoken of, or communicated to other persons.. . .

"€¦ if the definition of sense perccption consisted of only two terms - "that which is produced by the sense object contact" and "that which is not representable by words," then the apprehension of water [in the case of a mirage] ... would have to be regarded as "sense perception." ...That cognition is erroneous in which the thing is apprehended as what it is not; while, when a thing is perceived as what it is, the perception is not erroneous.

5. Inference is knowledge which is preceded by perception, and is of three kinds, viz., a priori, a posteriori and "commonly seen."

6. Comparison [analogy] is the knowledge of a thing, through its similarity to another thing previously well known.

7. Word (verbal testimony) is the instructive assertion of a reliable person.

Vaiseshika was an inquiry in the particular things that exist in the world and how they are constituted and assembled: which is also known as the dharma or nature and characteristics of things. Here are the first few sutras of the Vaiseshika sutras:

1. Now, therefore, we shall explain dharma

2. Dharma (is) that from which (results) the accomplishment of exaltation and of the supreme good.

3. The authoritativeness of the Veda (arises from its) being the Word of God [or being an exposition of dharma].

4. The Supreme Good [of the Predicables] (results) from the knowledge, produced by a particular dharma, of the essence of the predicables, substance, attribute, action, genus, species, and combination [inherence], by means of their resemblances and differences.

5. Earth, water, fire, air, ether, time, space, self (or soul), and mind (are) the only substances.

6. Attributes are color, taste, smell, and touch, numbers, measures, separateness, conjunction and disjunction, priority and posteriority, understandings, pleasure and pain, desire and aversion, and volitions.

7. Throwing upwards, throwing downwards, contraction, expansion, and motion are actions.

8. The resemblance of substance, attribute, and action lies in this that they are existent and non eternal, have substance as their combinative cause, are effect as well as cause, and are both genus and species.

9. The resemblance of substance and attribute is the characteristic of being the originators of their congeners.

10. Substances originate another substance, and attributes another attribute.

11. Action, producible by action, is not known.

Note in both sutras how scant attention is given to the Vedas. There can sometimes be a few lines here and there, but their primary aim is what they they declare at the beginning. Nyaya is to study the structure of logic and Vaiseshika is to study the structure of particular things. The entire enterpise of Nyaya and Vaiseshika philosophy is based on this only. They give argument after argument to prove their assertions. There is nothing religious about them. They are widely recognised to be rational systems of philosophy. They arrive at their conclusions using logical argument.

The conclusion of the soul is given by Nyaya-Vaiseshika by showing that the self qualities are distinct from the qualities of other substances. The qualities of the soul are desire, pleasure, pain, knowledge and these qualities are not be observed in other substances like earth, fire, air, water and ether which are inert. The quality of cognition is likewise not to be observed in these, but only in mind, providing the mind is a distinct particular.

The Nyaya-Vaiseshika are what we today call analytical philosophy to analyse and classify things into categories by their properties. The Nyaya-Vaiseshika argument is qualities produce other qualities and substances produce other substances. It is not possible for a substance which does not have certain qualities to produce a substance with different qualities. Earth, fire, air, water and ether(the translation is wrong, but lets stick with it) do not have qualities of cognition and thus their aggregates cannot lead to something that has qualities of cognition(memory, thought, imagination etc) Observation shows us matter does not have intention, knowledge, ignorance. If the sun could forget to shine, it would be the end of all life on earth :D. Therefore consciousness is a distinct substance.

The philosophy of Nyaya-Vaieshika is the irreducibility of particulars proves them to be real entities.

If you do not like a certain a conclusion it does not mean the argument is invalid. The Christians did not like gravity or heliocentric models of earth. In order to show an argument is invalid you must refute the argument. In any case making arguments to prove assertions is philosophy not religion. Making arguments based on empirical things is science not religion.

In any case you are absolutely wrong that Nyaya and Vaiseshika are studies into mermaids and afterlife. Please stop using this silly strawman.

In addition to this, they relied on Sabda as a Pramana. Yyou have been consistenly leaving the latter out, thereby painting an incorrect picture. If they really had no use for Sabda as you claim, then why was it considered a valid Pramana? Sabda is unscientific and yet they found it necessary to include it as a valid means of knowledge.

I am not leaving it out, I have acknowledged it, but I already told you testimony is considered the least most important form of knowledge. The most important is perception because this is where knowledge first begins. I can only work with things that are known as empirical and not things which are not known. Then to know things that are entailed by the known but cannot themselves be seen, I must use inference(e.g., smoke to fire) Moreover, you are completely wrong that testimony is not scientific. Science is all about testimony. Experimental results have to be published to peers. But the peers who are not present when the experiment was being done cannot verify whether the results are real. So they have to repeat the experiment and get the same results. When it has been repeated n number of times and the same results achieived then it is accepted on testimony alone by the other peers who have not done the experiment themselves. This is because it is reliable authority. This is why testimony is also considered valid provided the authority is reliable.

What does it say about them? Nyaya/Vaisheshika and Sankhya/Yoga started with the premise that there existed a soul, man was in bondage and was therefore incapable of being happy. That is neither Pratyaksha nor Anumana. Nothing scientific about it.

Sigh, another strawman. You like these don't you ;)
Nyaya and Vaiseshika begin from perception. Samkhya-Yoga also begin from perception. Then they use inference to develop their philosophies. Nyaya uses it to infer a correct way of reasoning. Vaiseshika uses it to infer how matter works. Samkhya uses it to infer what exists prior to visible matter. Finally, Yoga is the only darsana that does not use inference, but just pure phenomenology to watch the mind. They are all scientific systems.

About your second statement on Puranic Hinduism, I would be hard pressed to find someone to agree with it - both in academia and among traditionals. Without "Puranic Hinduism" there would be no Rama or Krishna or Shiva and that would mean no Hinduism, as we know it.

I emboldened "as we know it" because it illustrates my point exactly. Hinduism as we know it is history after 10,000 years of history. There was the Vedic period. Then the post-Vedic period. Then the puranic and Bhakti period. Then the modern period. The Hinduism we know today is a combination of all periods. No academic would disagree with this.

Surya Deva

If you are familiar with history, you should know that Vaiseshika had no takers. It was quickly merged with Nyaya and that did not help much either resulting in it having a very short lifespan. Just like Buddhism was still quoted as a Purvapaksha by 15th century scholars though it had ceased to exist in India long before that, Nyaya, Sankhya and Lokayata were long gone too - before the 15th century. How then, can these doctrines which can only be described as short term fads become Hindu Philosophy? You are taking a curious position that has no mainstream support at all (It never did).

Wrong, the sad darsanas were taught in Indian schools right up to the 19th century(I have British census records compiled by Gandhi's historian Dharampal to prove it)
None of the schools were replaced. Some schools because more popular like Vedanta, but Samkhya-Yoga-Nyaya and Vaiseshika continued to exist and continued to have proponents. The history of Indian philosophy has been of constant debate from the Vedic period to today. I can still meet Samkhyavadins, Nyayavadins and Yogavadins and Vedantavadins today.

Superstition and fantasies to one are metaphysics to others. I would place them all in the same bucket for that reason.

Then you are not thinking critically. You are simply being prejudiced.

Not true. No Darshana acknowledged the validity of any of the others at any time, though they all extensively followed rules of logic. Again, I see you are ignoring history and relying on your own conception of what you call pure Hinduism - which is far removed from reality.

That is because each darsana had their own viewpoint and were invested in their viewpoint. Sometimes one proponent left their own school to join the other. Viewspoints mean what view are you taking on reality: Nyaya-Vaiseshika took the realist viewpoint; Samkhya were metaphysical dualists; Yoga were phenomenologists; Vedanta were linguists. As long as your view is rational it is valid. All had rational systems based on the view they took. Even Charvaka was rational because it only accepted perception, therefore it was rational to conclude life was all about gratifying senses and pleasure seeking. If you knew you only had one life, why would you waste it in philosophical pursuits and mystical pursuits? You would live it to get maximum pleasure.

Their conclusions are!

It does not matter what the conclusion is, so as long as it is supported by the premise. If you do not like a conclusion it does not make it invalid. I am guessing you do not like the conclusions that modern scientists have arrived at: there is no physical reality without an observer. Do you reject it?

Surya Deva

You mean a sixth sense? There is no evidence of such a sense and I would not call it scientific. Our sources of knowledge are limited the well known five senses, according to science.

Of course there is an evidence of a 6th sense. It is called the anatakarana, the inner instrument. You get smell from your nose, correct? You get form, shape from your eye, correct? You get taste from your tongue correct? You get sound from your ear right? You get touch from your skin correct? What sense do you get numbers, time, space, slowness, fastness, causation, concepts, beauty, justice, logic from? Yep you guessed it: the internal sense. So of course we have more than 5 senses.

Now if you argue that this all is cognition in the brain(which is need of proof itself) you still prove we have another internal sense other than our 5 senses.

The key differences in our views result from the value, nature of inferences. The sight of a moving car in the distance leads me infer the presence of a driver, though I cannot see the person. But my existence does not lead me to infer a creator. An individual's unwillingness does not lead one to infer the existence of a soul that will live after the body dies. There is no perception that leads one to infer the existence of a soul, period. But you are willing to place faith in Sankhya, Vaiseshika (their inferences) and conclude that there exists a soul spanning multiple lives; a soul that is in bondage and needs to be liberated. You cannot prove any of this to others, but you still like to believe these methods and conclusions to be objective in nature. This is why Lokayata kept dependendence on inferences (subjective) to the minimum.

There are good inferences and bad inferences. Your first inference is a good inference is you see a car approaching leads you to infer the presence of a driver, the premise entails the conclusion. Likewise, there are good inferences for the soul as well. The Nyaya prove that its properties are not reducible to the 5 elements. It is clear that the qualities of pain, pleasure, ignorance and knowledge and intention are not present in the 5 elements. How then do the 5 elements originate the self? To suggest that they would combine in a certain combination(charvaka argument) and form a self is nothing short of magic. There is no property within that can lead to the properties of pain, pleasure, ignorance and knowledge.

The Samkhya produce a similar argument, but more complex. All matter has the property of change and production. There is no matter that does not change and transform. However, consciousness does not change and nor is it ever produced. If it did change as well then it would be impossible to note change, because change requires something to remain constant between change to note it has changed. Therefore consciousness is constant and unchanging. It is therefore disitnct from matter.

The Vedanta produce an argument very similar to Samkhya. The observer cannot the observed. Whatever I can observe cannot be 'I' Everything that is observed is what takes place in time and space. Therefore I cannot be in time and space. If I am not in time and space, then it means I am eternal and infinite. I was never born, so I can never die.

I have faith in these conclusions because the arguments are water-tight. I have not yet seen a single refutation by anybody to disprove these arguments. I have argued with the best scientists, materialists and philosophers and nobody has been able to refute them. In addition my faith is also my direct experience because I have left my body several times, so I know of another reality beyond the physical reality. I have many friends who have had the same direct experience. I know of scientists who study this phenomenon who do it regularly. So I know these things factually.

Last edited:

Onkara

The Samkhya produce a similar argument, but more complex. All matter has the property of change and production. There is no matter that does not change and transform. However, consciousness does not change and nor is it ever produced. If it did change as well then it would be impossible to note change, because change requires something to remain constant between change to note it has changed. Therefore consciousness is constant and unchanging. It is therefore disitnct from matter.

The Vedanta produce an argument very similar to Samkhya. The observer cannot the observed. Whatever I can observe cannot be 'I' Everything that is observed is what takes place in time and space. Therefore I cannot be in time and space. If I am not in time and space, then it means I am eternal and infinite. I was never born, so I can never die.

I have faith in these conclusions because the arguments are water-tight. I have not yet seen a single refutation by anybody to disprove these arguments. I have argued with the best scientists, materialists and philosophers and nobody has been able to refute them. In addition my faith is also my direct experience... . So I know these things factually.

I agree, I cannot find a way to refute this. Furthermore consciousness is not distinct from matter. Matter is known by consciousness and likewise consciousness is known through matter. There need not be faith, as you say, once these things are known factually :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend onkara,

Matter is known by consciousness and likewise consciousness is known through matter. There need not be faith, as you say, once these things are known factually
Personal understanding is that forms come out of consciousness and so matter [forms] are consciousness too. Faith is mind matter and so irrelevant as mind itself needs to be transcended and faith his like allowing the mind to hold on/hang on/grab something as they say for a drowning man even a straw is good enough for holding, and personally of the school where they say *Jump and then Think*!

Love & rgds

Satsangi

I agree, I cannot find a way to refute this. Furthermore consciousness is not distinct from matter. Matter is known by consciousness and likewise consciousness is known through matter. There need not be faith, as you say, once these things are known factually :)

Hi Onkarah,

I thought that consciousness is known by consciousness and the matter is unreal. Please explain.

Regards,

Surya Deva

I see you are non-dualist :D

I do not require matter to know consciousness. This is because, all matter is temporal. One instance there is heat, and one instance there is cold. One instance my body is in pain, the one instance it is in pleasure. One instance I am thinking of what I want to eat, and one instance I am thinking of whats on television. One instance my heart is beating fast and one instance my heart is beating slowr. One instance I have short hair, the one instance I have long hair. One instance I am 10 years old, the one instance I am 30 years old.

What is common in all instances? I am. The instances are always changing, but I remain constant between them all. Therefore this proves that I am not dependent on the instances to exist. I simply just exist. This is why I am distinct from matter.

Matter is possessed of the properties of the gunas. This simply means that matter is always in a state of transformation(static, changing, inertia) However, consciousness is not possessed of the properties of the gunas(i.e., change) and thus always remains constant.

I am not a total Samkhyavadin though. I am closer to Advaita and in fact I beleive the original Samkhya of Kapila was Advaitic. It is to be noted that matter does not have any being. What is in constant change has no beingness. Therefore matter does not have an independent existence, but it is entirely dependent. It is not real. It's apparent reality is only owing to consciousness, because consciousness is the only being that exists and thus is the only cause from which matter can arise. Herein lies the paradox: matter as the effect of consciousness is unlike consciousness and therefore could not have been caused by consciousness. Therefore was NEVER any creation. It's all illusion. It's all an error of perception.

Onkara

:)
The point we differ is on the nature of matter then :) "I" was not able to report my being (sat) before birth, it took body, mind and memory for consciousness to experience itself as being (sat) and scream out to the world that "I am". That does not imply that concsciousness did not exit, what it means is that matter and consciousness go hand in hand. Matter and conciousness are not dualities, the recognition of the unity of both is the ultimate Brahman.

Consciousness does not change, matter changes, as you say, it is temporal. The witnessing that matter changes is not an illusion, it is a temporal experience and further more, a benefit. The change of matter allows for experience to arise and be known by me - consciousness. Matter is still one with me, it is my mirror in which I, conciousness, can recognise my permanance and bliss. From this point of view, "I" as pure consicousness have no illusion, no ignorance or doubt, I am one with matter and consciousness and witness all as me.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Then this is not real non-dualism. Then you are trintarian :D

There is matter, than there is consciousness and then there is Brahman which is both and beyond them. It is like saying there is light, and then there is dark and then is that which is both light and dark and beyond them.

Non-dualism is monism. There is only one substance, and any other substance is illusory. Materialists are non-dualists, they assert there is only material, and consciousness is illusory.

I am a non-dualist. There is only consciousness, and matter is illusory. That sense of "I-am-ness" never changes and always remains. I do not need anything else to report my sense of "I-am-ness"
The body changes all the time, it comes into being, grows, ages, decays, dies and I watch it. One day it will be gone completely, but I will remain. Having left my body several times I know I don't need it to exist.

There are five such bodies I have. After I lose the outermost, four bodies still remain. They are the etheric body; the mental body; the causal body and the higher self body.

Again these are all illusory.

Onkara

:)
The illusion cannot be seperate from Brahman. Likewise Brahman is not an illusion. To be sure there is an illusion is to maintain a duality between the illusion and the non-illusion. :D

kaisersose

Kaisersose, we cannot continue this discussion if you continue to use strawmans fallacies. You need to be honest about what Nyaya-Vaiseshika and Samkhya-Yoga taught. They did not investigate afterlife and mermaids and this is clear to anybody who has studied Nyaya and Samkhya and read their works. There is no hope for an intelligent discussion if you do not represent their views correctly.

On the contrary you, in your zeal to show these beliefs as scientific are focusing on select parts of these doctrines and painting an incorrect picture. All of the following is indisputable. If you disagree please be specific and to the point. The longer the post, the harder it is to to respond to every point.

1) Welcome to India in the first millenium BC. It was the order of the day to create new religious beliefs all of which had this in common - the liberation of man (man was in bondage; there was a soul; and there was this need for liberation as man could not be happy otherwise). Most of them failed to take off, some were successful and lasted a while until they were all eventually decimated by the rise of Bhakti.

2) If you take liberation out, then there was no justification for creating these doctrines. Therefore, they (soul, liberation) are the primary components of the doctrine. How the world was created or how the world exists is secondary. Your position has been flawed all along for ignoring this. You have conveniently skipped the primary objectives and parts of these doctrines and have been focusing entirely on the secondary parts. I have tried to point this out and you do not seem to be getting it, accusing me instead of creating strawmans. Strike One.

3) You say the approach of some of the Darshanas in attempting to formulate their doctrines were scientific. You are fixating on Kapila's description of nature and Kanada's theory of atoms and ignoring everything else. I say this is not scientific for one simple reason - where is the evidence? There is no scientific evidence for any of these (soul, reincarnation, bondage, karma and liberation). This is further easily established by the fact that all these doctrines (scientific as you like to call them) *differ* in their definition of what brings about liberation and the nature of this liberation. Strike Two.

4) I will make it very simple. Prove to me the primary objective - that man is in bondage, is unhappy and needs to be liberated. This is the only goal and justification for the existence of all religion doctrines in India, including Sankhya and Nyaya. If not, their creation has no justification. They were *not* created to explain atoms or nature. Once again, they were not created to explain atoms or nature or evolution. If you can prove that man needs to be liberated, then we will move on to the lesser important parts of how and why the world exists. As of today, you have not proved the former and have been dwelling completely on the latter. Strike Three?

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Bhaktajan, anandamaya kosha. I call it higher self because this is is the body which reflects the divine. Hence why it is called the bliss body. After the end of this body it is only Brahman and that is no individual self. The higher self is the last stage of individuality.

Surya Deva

1) Welcome to India in the first millenium BC. It was the order of the day to create new religious beliefs all of which had this in common - the liberation of man (man was in bondage; there was a soul; and there was this need for liberation as man could not be happy otherwise). Most of them failed to take off, some were successful and lasted a while until they were all eventually decimated by the rise of Bhakti.

Nope, these darsanas do not begin with the fact that man is in bondage. They begin with fact that there is suffering in the world and we must find a way to end it. The position of Samkhya was that we must suffering by finding a way to find constant happiness(Samkyakarika 1) The Vaiseshika say that the supreme good is in knowing the dharma of all existent things(substance, attribute, actions, conjunction, disjunction, genus, inherence etc) Nyaya says the supreme good is in knowing the categories of reasoning.

You are still throwing about strawmans. I am strongly beginning to suspect you have not read any of their works.

2) If you take liberation out, then there was no justification for creating these doctrines. Therefore, they (soul, liberation) are the primary components of the doctrine. How the world was created or how the world exists is secondary. Your position has been flawed all along for ignoring this. You have conveniently skipped the primary objectives and parts of these doctrines and have been focusing entirely on the secondary parts. I have tried to point this out and you do not seem to be getting it, accusing me instead of creating strawmans. Strike One.

Nope, they do not begin with assumption of the soul. They prove the soul using arguments. I have already shown you what arguments each school gave for the soul.

This is getting tedious now. You are not being reasonable or acknowledged any of the info I am taking my time out to share with you. So I will take stock of that and not waste any more breath, until you are ready to discuss this honestly and sincerely. So far you have thrown one strawman after the other, "They studied mermaids and afterlife, they said Indian civilisation was billions of years old, boogeyman etc." If you are not going to discuss honestly, then there is no point carrying this on.

3) You say the approach of some of the Darshanas in attempting to formulate their doctrines were scientific. You are fixating on Kapila's description of nature and Kanada's theory of atoms and ignoring everything else. I say this is not scientific for one simple reason - where is the evidence? There is no scientific evidence for any of these (soul, reincarnation, bondage, karma and liberation). This is further easily established by the fact that all these doctrines (scientific as you like to call them) *differ* in their definition of what brings about liberation and the nature of this liberation. Strike Two.

Each school differs because they take a different viewpoint(I explained this point already) Nyaya-Vaiseshiks want to classify reality correctly and precisely into irreducible particulars(visesha) so we can have clear knowledge of reality. This is their approach to helping the world. It helped indeed, because their basic scheme was used by the Indian sciences of engineering and medicine. On the other hand, Samkhya want to discern the differences between matter and consciousness, in order to end suffering of the person altogether. This lead to the science of Yoga and there is no doubting that Yoga has helped many in living healthier, happier and more harmonious lives.

I think what you are refusing to acknowledge here is that irrespective of their goals for why they are doing their respective inquiries, they use perception and inference to make their discoveries. They demonstrate their conclusions by giving arguments using perception and inference. These arguments can be tested by a peer to see how valid they are. This is what matters, not what their motivation is. Science does not care about what motivated a scientist to do a study, what they care about is the experiment and experimental results and testing that.

Focus on the arguments they are making and not on why and who is making them. If you make a case an argument is invalid, that I can discuss with you. If instead you argue you will not listen to what they say because they believe in such and such, then that is a fallacy dear. If I said I will not listen to Hitler because he believes in genocide if he is saying, "The Earth is not flat, because..." Then it is an adhominem fallacy. Focus on the argument.

4) I will make it very simple. Prove to me the primary objective - that man is in bondage, is unhappy and needs to be liberated. This is the only goal and justification for the existence of all religion doctrines in India, including Sankhya and Nyaya. If not, their creation has no justification. They were *not* created to explain atoms or nature. Once again, they were not created to explain atoms or nature or evolution. If you can prove that man needs to be liberated, then we will move on to the lesser important parts of how and why the world exists. As of today, you have not proved the former and have been dwelling completely on the latter. Strike Three?

It is clear there is suffering and unhappiness in the world. If you look at the world there is disease, death, war, greed, crime, anxiety etc If a scientist says that he wants to end the suffering people are experiencing from cancer, and then goes on to begin his study and finally finds a cure for cancer. Are you going to reject it because he began with the motive of ending suffering? Philosophy and science is researched for practical purposes, not for its own sake. The Greeks studied philosophy to bring virtue to man. Likewise, Indians studied philosophy in order to deal with suffering they could observe in the world. I studied philosophy to expand my mind.

A lot of what you are writing is either a strawman fallacy or a adhominem fallacy. I am starting to think that that I cannot expect anymore from you. In which case we will have to end this discussion. However, if you are going to be honest and focus on the arguments Nyaya Samkhya et al gave, then we can have a fruitful discussion. If however you are going to continue to misrepresent them by saying they studied mermaids and afterlife, when it is clear from what I cited they did not, then we will call it a day.

kaisersose

At least, you are not denying that they are all about Liberation. That is progress and I believe We are almost there.

It is clear there is suffering and unhappiness in the world. If you look at the world there is disease, death, war, greed, crime, anxiety etc If a scientist says that he wants to end the suffering people are experiencing from cancer, and then goes on to begin his study and finally finds a cure for cancer. Are you going to reject it because he began with the motive of ending suffering? Philosophy and science is researched for practical purposes, not for its own sake. The Greeks studied philosophy to bring virtue to man. Likewise, Indians studied philosophy in order to deal with suffering they could observe in the world. I studied philosophy to expand my mind.

This line has has been used by religions for ages as a sales pitch. I argue that there is plenty of happiness in this world and there exist millions of people who are happy and blessed. Existence as it is, is random and inexplicable. People work towards happiness all their lives and succeed sometimes and fail sometimes. Is there some kind of special state possible for man where there is no pain? Again, this is just a claim made by some religions (not all) and there is no way to prove it. Was Shankara in such a state? We do not know. Was Ramana in such a state? We do not know. As no objective criteria exists to identify such a person, this is not inside the realm of science. And as no such state can be proved, the concept of liberation is meaningless. And as you have no objection to the fact that all darshanas are about liberation, they all have failed prima facie tests and are meaningless from the perspective of science. QED, thus.

A lot of what you are writing is either a strawman fallacy or a adhominem fallacy. I am starting to think that that I cannot expect anymore from you. In which case we will have to end this discussion. However, if you are going to be honest and focus on the arguments Nyaya Samkhya et al gave, then we can have a fruitful discussion. If however you are going to continue to misrepresent them by saying they studied mermaids and afterlife, when it is clear from what I cited they did not, then we will call it a day.

Lokayatikas were called Pashandis, Asuras and were hated assailants - for the reason that their fundamental queries were unanswerable.

I have read Sankhya (Ishwara Krishna/Goudapada)'s arguments in detail and have also read Nyaya arguments enough to know what they are about. At the end, I was not convinced in the least and dismissed them altogether. You have to understand that you have been diving into details without addressing fundamentals. I will say this again. Prove to me that man needs to be liberated. Without establishing this foundation, there is no point in wasting time discussing details. Your arguments thus far may work for someone who also believes that man is in pain and needs to be liberated - perhaps with someone whose religious beliefs are based on revelations. But this discussion is not about which religion is scientific, but about religion being scientific at all.

This is the third time I am asking you to prove that man has to be liberated. Sankhya and Nyaya failed to convince me on this and so if you can - more power to you. Following that, we will also need evidence of a soul, the concept of Karma and a clear definition of what this liberated state is ( a single line like sat-chit-ananda does not work at all). If not, then obviously, it taxes ones credulity to accept any darshana as scientific. It is reduced to a subjective position and acceptance depends solely on the individual's personal preferences and dispositions.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

This line has has been used by religions for ages as a sales pitch. I argue that there is plenty of happiness in this world and there exist millions of people who are happy and blessed. Existence as it is, is random and inexplicable. People work towards happiness all their lives and succeed sometimes and fail sometimes. Is there some kind of special state possible for man where there is no pain? Again, this is just a claim made by some religions (not all) and there is no way to prove it. Was Shankara in such a state? We do not know. Was Ramana in such a state? We do not know. As no objective criteria exists to identify such a person, this is not inside the realm of science. And as no such state can be proved, the concept of liberation is meaningless. And as you have no objection to the fact that all darshanas are about liberation, they all have failed prima facie tests and are meaningless from the perspective of science. QED, thus.

Even if there are millions that are happy as you claim, there are billions that are not, do not have access to clean water, live in poverty, disease and illiteracy. If one looks at history one finds a history of constant war, of genocide, of death and destruction. It is an undenible fact of our life world that the history of humanity has been a history predominatly of strife. I can mention several examples of such great magnitude that they undermine the so-called positive instances in human history: crusades, inquisitions, witch burnings, colonialism and enslavement, world wars, holocausts, countless genocides which continue up until today.

Let's not pretend that the human condition is generally happy. It is the opposite in fact, the human is suffering. There is nothing more noble than to study the cause of this suffering and to find a way to end this suffering so humanity is generally happy, peaceful, tolerant and compassionate to one another. If you do not share this aspiration for humanity then there is something wrong with you.

There is another reason why suffering is definitely a fact of human nature. There is a not a single human being on this planet who does not experience negative emotional states like hate, fear, anxiety, lust, anger, frustration, jealousy. These are not good states to be in, they sap our energy, corrupt our intellect and cause us to bad things to each other. In addition they give rise to psychological maladies which can lead to physical maladies.

This is why in Indian philosophy the ending of suffering is the most important goal of life.

have read Sankhya (Ishwara Krishna/Goudapada)'s arguments in detail and have also read Nyaya arguments enough to know what they are about. At the end, I was not convinced in the least and dismissed them altogether. You have to understand that you have been diving into details without addressing fundamentals. I will say this again. Prove to me that man needs to be liberated. Without establishing this foundation, there is no point in wasting time discussing details. Your arguments thus far may work for someone who also believes that man is in pain and needs to be liberated - perhaps with someone whose religious beliefs are based on revelations. But this discussion is not about which religion is scientific, but about religion being scientific at all.

This is not surprising, because you do not accept inference as a valid means of knowledge. You accept only perception. However, the truth is you do accept inference as well, but only inference when it suits you. Thus I believe your position is inconsistent and this is the proof that your viewpoint is not a valid viewpoint.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

As for the arguments for soul from which each school. I will repeat them here. If they are invalid you will be able to demonstrate they are invalid.

The Nyaya prove that the soul's properties are not reducible to the 5 elements. It is clear that the qualities of pain, pleasure, ignorance and knowledge and intention are not present in the 5 elements. How then do the 5 elements originate the self? To suggest that they would combine in a certain combination(charvaka argument) and form a self is nothing short of magic. There is no property within that can lead to the properties of pain, pleasure, ignorance and knowledge.