• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Exist?

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Quite. But in presuming you exist you are missing my point.

If you have a point then make it for goodness sake.

Great....someone who knows the odds!
Ok...All horses bar one failing to complete the course is an improbable event, it is not an impossible event but highly unlikley. When an experiment like horse racing has such a long history and is conducted with such frequency we know that unusual events can occur- most horses falling (or not even starting) can give us a 'Walkover'' and the common expression-"A one horse race".

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing that as a track Steward such an outcome would have your interest and attention and possibly some degree of suspicion?
It is difficult to 'knobble' an entire field of horses by getting them to fall...but inquiries would be made as to who owns the winning horse and what kind of power, influence and reputation they have...Yes?No?

You are right about the race. As a Steward who is knowledgeable about horse racing I will know that the sport is fraught with rampant cheating and will suspect that a criminal damaged the other horses in some way. All horses but one randomly and simultaniously having the same injury in the same race is very very low and it is much more probably that the race was rigged.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think this is a very good question everyone should try to figure out. Not, "How do I know my faith in God is justified?" or "How can I prove God exists?" or "What is a good argument for the existence of God?" But, "Does God exist?" As a fresh look at the question for yourself, trying to step back as much as possible from your previous religious indoctrination, whatever that may be, looking at it as a problem to be solved. O.K., well, how should a person go about figuring out the answer to that question? What is the first step you should take?

Wombat

You are right about the race. As a Steward who is knowledgeable about horse racing I will know that the sport is fraught with rampant cheating and will suspect that a criminal damaged the other horses in some way. All horses but one randomly and simultaniously having the same injury in the same race is very very low and it is much more probably that the race was rigged.

Great, thank you, we are in agreement.

All horses "having the same injury" though would be a dead give away...but it would be possible to bribe the jockeys to make the horses fall or shy at the hurdles. Either way the race could be rigged and such an outcome would lead any vigilant Steward to suspect something is going on in the circumstances.

Ok...Next race...same story...all horses bar one (different horse) fall or fail to complete....race three same thing happens again.

Assuming the race meeting was allowed to go on (5-6 races) and the same 'all horses bar one" outcome occurred each time......how would you rate the probability?...What would your level of suspicion be?

One other supplemental question then I will lay my argument/cards on the table.

Would you please choose a (single) field of human endeavour (Art, Music, Military, Politics, Science, whatever) and then choose six 'Greats' in that field....six people who stand out as having made immense contribution and huge influence in their area of endeavour.

Please....thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
fantôme profane;2282674 said:
Whatever “God” may or not be, one thing I can say with confidence that “God” is not and never has been “self-described”.
Gods don't describe themselves but characters do.

The character of the Judeo-Christian god describes himself as jealous in the Bible.

St Giordano Bruno

And I'm sure many Christians would argue that your minor premise is mistaken; Earth did not happen naturally, but supernaturally.

There is plenty of evidence of things that happened naturally but no evidence of anything that happened supernatually. So the default position it is that the Earth is just another one of those things that happened naturally.

Ben Masada

LovePeaceHappiness and I were having a debate about the atonement and he tried to support this by using arguments that assume that God already exists. When I confronted him with this he suggested I make a new thread about this topic, so here it is. The purpose of this thread is to use logic and reason to try to determine whether God exists, or at least find out whether it is likely that God exists.

I am defining God to be the Judeo-Christian God. There is no reason to say God exists any more than there is to say that unicorns exist because there is no evidence of God. This is a very common argument and is very persuasive.

Very persuasive to whom, to you? No wonder. And please, do not define God to be the Judeo-Christian God because there is an abyss of a difference between them. The Christian god is too anthropomorphic and based on Greek Mythology. The God of Judaism, in the words of Jesus himself, is an eternal Spirit and Incorporeal at that. And the only way to relate to Him is in a spiritual manner. You know, metaphysically, parapsychologically or through ESP, which is all the same.(John 4:24)

What are you talking about no reason to say God exists? Isn't the universe reason enough? Once Einstein was asked if he believed in God. He answered and said that all his life was trying to catch God at His work of creation. Then, he went out to deliver a lecture about the expansion of the universe. Aha! So, the universe still expands. Yes, Science has proved so. Who can say that's not God at His work of creation?

Still back to your saying that there is no reason to say that God exists. Is there reason to say that the universe is eternal and that it has come out of nothing? If God does not exist, tell us here where and how did the universe came to become what it is today, and still expanding? If you don't know, please, keep your tongue in check because, the Psalmist says in Psalm 14:1 that only fools declare that God does
not exist.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Very persuasive to whom, to you? No wonder. And please, do not define God to be the Judeo-Christian God because there is an abyss of a difference between them. The Christian god is too anthropomorphic and based on Greek Mythology.

It looks like you took care of the Christian God for me. Now lets move on to the Jewish God.

The God of Judaism, in the words of Jesus himself, is an eternal Spirit and Incorporeal at that. And the only way to relate to Him is in a spiritual manner. You know, metaphysically, parapsychologically or through ESP, which is all the same.(John 4:24)

Thats funny. The founder of Christianity agrees with the Jews on God. So where is the difference between these two?

What are you talking about no reason to say God exists? Isn't the universe reason enough?

:eek:?????

In what way is the universe evidence for the existence of the Jewish God?

Once Einstein was asked if he believed in God. He answered and said that all his life was trying to catch God at His work of creation. Then, he went out to deliver a lecture about the expansion of the universe. Aha! So, the universe still expands. Yes, Science has proved so. Who can say that's not God at His work of creation?

Ad Verecundiam Fallacy
"I am right because I say so or because X says so."
The argument from authority is the weakest form of argument, according to Boethius. -- St. Thomas Aquinas

Still back to your saying that there is no reason to say that God exists. Is there reason to say that the universe is eternal and that it has come out of nothing? If God does not exist, tell us here where and how did the universe came to become what it is today, and still expanding?

We do not know whether the universe is eternal, however we do know that this universe came from a sigularity called the big bang. From this matter, time, and space originate. We know about the origin of the universe up to several moments after the initial "explosion" but we have no good info about the moments before. Scientists are working on it.

If you don't know, please, keep your tongue in check because, the Psalmist says in Psalm 14:1 that only fools declare that God does
not exist.

This psalmist is an ignorant intolerant fool.

Great, thank you, we are in agreement.

All horses "having the same injury" though would be a dead give away...but it would be possible to bribe the jockeys to make the horses fall or shy at the hurdles. Either way the race could be rigged and such an outcome would lead any vigilant Steward to suspect something is going on in the circumstances.

Ok...Next race...same story...all horses bar one (different horse) fall or fail to complete....race three same thing happens again.

Assuming the race meeting was allowed to go on (5-6 races) and the same 'all horses bar one" outcome occurred each time......how would you rate the probability?...What would your level of suspicion be?

I would start wondering whether someone would be stupid enough to rig the race in such an obvious way. Maybe the perpetrator wants people to figure out so maybe this is a prank or an attempt to frame somebody. Maybe there is a natural explanation like all the other horses are from a certain city that has diseased horses. I think that the chance of rigging is up to .99.

One other supplemental question then I will lay my argument/cards on the table.
Would you please choose a (single) field of human endeavour (Art, Music, Military, Politics, Science, whatever) and then choose six 'Greats' in that field....six people who stand out as having made immense contribution and huge influence in their area of endeavour.

Please....thanks in advance.

Isaac Neuton, Albert Einstein, Socrates, Barack Obama, Richard Dawkins, and Archimedes are my favorites even though I can list many more.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
LovePeaceHappiness and I were having a debate about the atonement and he tried to support this by using arguments that assume that God already exists. When I confronted him with this he suggested I make a new thread about this topic, so here it is. The purpose of this thread is to use logic and reason to try to determine whether God exists, or at least find out whether it is likely that God exists.

I am defining God to be the Judeo-Christian God. There is no reason to say God exists any more than there is to say that unicorns exist because there is no evidence of God. This is a very common argument and is very persuasive.

Well, you know my opinion of God's existence from that other thread. I believe that an eternal thing-that-is-responsible-for-everything-else-that-I-also-call-God exists.

Why, then, do I believe in the Judeo-Christian God specifically?

Because, I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that belief in the Judeo-Christian God is reasonable.

Perhaps the greatest of this is the survival of the Jews at large, and the specific survival of Judaism in its Orthodox form. It is not only their survival (which is not necessarily divine), but the fact that they predicted it long ago. How long ago? Well that is disputed, but long enough, consistently enough, and accurately enough to make it reasonable to assume that they've got at least some idea of why that is.

The fact is that there are these Jews, Orthodox ones specifically, who have been teaching and believing in Orthodox Judaism for a long time. They have done so in such numbers and conditions as to lead one to believe that they should be gone. Sociologically speaking, the fact that any of them remain in any largely influential number is highly improbable.

They say that it is because the god-thing, who I can't say I know much about otherwise, wants it that way. I could say they're wrong. They could be wrong. But I think that the benefits (a life of fulfillment, lower rates of all sorts of undesirable things in observant societies, etc) are worth the possibility that I might be wrong, that there might be no God, and thus find no real reason not to believe in Judaism (unless you think that a reality--in which the more I learn about it the more I realize I know nothing about it, is the result of chemical reactions occurring multiple times in an infinite number of places that results in what we have now, and where I need to find my own meaning in life--is a good reason).

Are there other religions? Yes. Do they have the similar benefits? Yes. But I like Judaism, and given the statements of these Jews who have existed for longer than any group as small and as targeted as they are, and given the fact that I do think there is an eternal thing out there responsible for everything else and the Jewish idea of it doesn't seem all that bad, I think it is reasonable to believe in the Jewish God and even the Jewish religion in its Orthodox sense.

Not to mention that there is no other religion which makes the claim that:

- God showed up to 3 million of their people
-gave them instructions (which they still sort of follow to this day)
-told them that they would be around for a really long time (under conditions that should have resulted in their extinction)
-they have a continuous chain of people going back for a really long time (back to Sinai) of people who have faithfully followed these instructions under these conditions with records of these people which date back that far
and also predicted it in a document that dates (even by secular standards) back long enough for it to have been something that wasn't written after the fact.

I assumed that your OP was a question "Why believe in the Judeo-Christian God?" Well I don't know what that is because Christians, Jews, and Muslims see God very differently. Hell, just among Jews we see God differently. But if you were to ask why I believe in Judaism as opposed to some other religion with a different god-concept, then the above post is my answer. I hope it suffices.

Wombat

A baseline of probability for the universe? What are you comparing it against?

Your question was not in regard "probability for the universe"...it was in regard- "Does God exist?"---"... how should a person go about figuring out the answer to that question? What is the first step you should take?"

And I responded to that question-"Establish a baseline of probability and look for anomaly."

Nothing to do with "probability for the universe"....answer pertained to probability of God...please, do try to keep up with your own questions and what they pertain to :slap: ;)

foxjazz

Many of us go through life asking that question, and many never get the answer they expect. I don't think whether or not God exists is the appropriate question to ask, but rather why is this question so important to us.

Obviously many of us believe and many of us don't believe God exists in one form or another. The concept of God exists I think for many of us raised to think about God existing. That belief I mean concept is something that binds many of us believers and unbelievers alike.

To spell it out, I think that unbelievers are skeptical and distrustful of believers because the believers tend to rely on something untrustworthy to form world views about the world, and therefore their life. And seeing (experiencing) unpleasant factual events about belief in general makes unbelievers ever more skeptical.

Believers on the other hand can't understand unbelievers because they think also (wrongly) that unbelievers have no reason for moral behavior.

Either way, it's really a waist of time trying to figure out anything substantial about God, it is we that need to better understand ourselves. It's the inner life that is more important than any of the hogwash you get from anyone that "has the answer" to your questions about God or even yourself.

Don't be scammed by anyone, get an education (a real education). It involves a lot more than reading certain books, it involves a lot more than I can say here. Knowing you will never be certain about anything, is the beginning of wisdom.

Wombat

Because, I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that belief in the Judeo-Christian God is reasonable. .

I'm with that...not 'proven'...not (for me) even certain...but "belief in the Judeo-Christian God is reasonable"...and when I am watering the garden on a sunny spring friday afternoon with a light fruity white in hand....belief in God is >more< than reasonable ;)

Perhaps the greatest of this is the survival of the Jews at large,...

Again I am obliged to agree...From Exodus to the Babylonian exile to the progroms of the Middle Ages to the horrors of the modern era...no sane bookmaker in any period whould have taken optomistic bets on that survival.
I would also add the foretelling of exile and return as something not easily explained away.

The fact is that there are these Jews, Orthodox ones specifically, who have been teaching and believing in Orthodox Judaism for a long time. They have done so in such numbers and conditions as to lead one to believe that they should be gone. Sociologically speaking, the fact that any of them remain in any largely influential number is highly improbable..

Exactly....it is a calculation of probability...and the outcome we have is "highly improbable".

Are there other religions? Yes. Do they have the similar benefits? Yes. But I like Judaism....

Good for you. I aspire to being a Baha'i, I don't get to claim to be Jewish, but I do get to claim Judaism as a large part of my heritage, tradition, inspiration and belief. The Baha'i attitude towards people retaining their faiths is supposed to be- Please be the best Jew, Christian, Moslem you can be.

Not to mention that there is no other religion which makes the claim that:.

May I add a seemingly silly one to your list?
Judaism (in my experience) generates the sweetest old ladies on the face of the earth. I'm serious, I get to meet and interact with quite a few elderly people and old Jewish ladies,are simply divine in their generosity of spirit...
(the old men? ... nuh ... not so much ;-).

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Well, you know my opinion of God's existence from that other thread. I believe that an eternal thing-that-is-responsible-for-everything-else-that-I-also-call-God exists.

Why, then, do I believe in the Judeo-Christian God specifically?

Because, I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that belief in the Judeo-Christian God is reasonable.

Perhaps the greatest of this is the survival of the Jews at large, and the specific survival of Judaism in its Orthodox form. It is not only their survival (which is not necessarily divine), but the fact that they predicted it long ago. How long ago? Well that is disputed, but long enough, consistently enough, and accurately enough to make it reasonable to assume that they've got at least some idea of why that is.

The fact is that there are these Jews, Orthodox ones specifically, who have been teaching and believing in Orthodox Judaism for a long time. They have done so in such numbers and conditions as to lead one to believe that they should be gone. Sociologically speaking, the fact that any of them remain in any largely influential number is highly improbable.

They say that it is because the god-thing, who I can't say I know much about otherwise, wants it that way. I could say they're wrong. They could be wrong. But I think that the benefits (a life of fulfillment, lower rates of all sorts of undesirable things in observant societies, etc) are worth the possibility that I might be wrong, that there might be no God, and thus find no real reason not to believe in Judaism (unless you think that a reality--in which the more I learn about it the more I realize I know nothing about it, is the result of chemical reactions occurring multiple times in an infinite number of places that results in what we have now, and where I need to find my own meaning in life--is a good reason).

Are there other religions? Yes. Do they have the similar benefits? Yes. But I like Judaism, and given the statements of these Jews who have existed for longer than any group as small and as targeted as they are, and given the fact that I do think there is an eternal thing out there responsible for everything else and the Jewish idea of it doesn't seem all that bad, I think it is reasonable to believe in the Jewish God and even the Jewish religion in its Orthodox sense.

Not to mention that there is no other religion which makes the claim that:

- God showed up to 3 million of their people
-gave them instructions (which they still sort of follow to this day)
-told them that they would be around for a really long time (under conditions that should have resulted in their extinction)
-they have a continuous chain of people going back for a really long time (back to Sinai) of people who have faithfully followed these instructions under these conditions with records of these people which date back that far
and also predicted it in a document that dates (even by secular standards) back long enough for it to have been something that wasn't written after the fact.

I assumed that your OP was a question "Why believe in the Judeo-Christian God?" Well I don't know what that is because Christians, Jews, and Muslims see God very differently. Hell, just among Jews we see God differently. But if you were to ask why I believe in Judaism as opposed to some other religion with a different god-concept, then the above post is my answer. I hope it suffices.

Well, I don't know if God had anything to do with the survival of the Jews. There is no evidence of supernatural aid from God. I do think they survived because they were good with money.

Wombat

Well, I don't know if God had anything to do with the survival of the Jews. There is no evidence of supernatural aid from God. I do think they survived because they were good with money.

"good with money" in a nut shell-

“The First Council of Nicaea, in 325, forbade clergy from engaging in usury (canon 17). At the time, usury was interest of any kind, and the canon merely forbade the clergy to lend money on interest above 1 percent per month. Later ecumenical councils applied this regulation to the laity”

“As the Jews were ostracized from most professions by local rulers, the church and the guilds, they were pushed into marginal occupations considered socially inferior, such as tax and rent collecting and moneylending. Natural tensions between creditors and debtors were added to social, political, religious, and economic strains”

Usury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denied access to any other profession...the Jews became "good with money" because they "were pushed into marginal occupations considered socially inferior" and then (historicaly) persecuted, hounded and looked down upon for being "good with money".

Go figure.

St Giordano Bruno

I could approach it this way:

The time I casually ask a very liberal Rabbi

What is God?
He replies. "God is the laws and principles which created the universe."
Then I say "according to Stephen Hawking and other scientists like Paul Davies, the universe created itself through a spontaneous creation process like a quantum fluctuation or something"
The Rabbi then concludes in accordance to the major premise he made "well if Stephen Hawking is right then that would mean the universe itself is God"

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

No evidence of supernatural aid? Perhaps. But they claim that it was due to supernatural aid and well, given the number of correct predictions they seem to make and considering the amount of time they've been able to do it, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe such a claim. Especially when the negative consequences for being wrong are non-existent. Unless of course you think it is a negative consequence to have people motivated towards a goal of peace and operate under a system of laws that produces lower statistics of alcoholism, depression, divorce, substance abuse, sexual violence, and domestic violence in societies that abide by it.

OneThatGotAway

Servant of Yahweh God Almighty

I am defining God to be the Judeo-Christian God. There is no reason to say God exists any more than there is to say that unicorns exist because there is no evidence of God. This is a very common argument and is very persuasiv
e.

First of all: God do exist. You can determine that from logic and reason like everything else. I also believed that Aedam, Aebraham, Mashe, Nebuchadnezzar, Julius Caesar, and George Washington existed also; although the only evidence I have are historical documents. The funny thing is that atheists also believe in these men; even though they cannot scientifically proved that they have ever existed. Now why is that belief?

Many theists and atheists believes that Osama bin Laden is still alive although they cannot scientfically prove that he is still alive. Their logic and reason of the historical evidence have led them to conclude that it is possible that he is still alive. They believed without concrete proof.

Now what scientific instruments can mankind use to uncover the God of Yishrael who deliberately uses his powers to stay INVISIBLE according to his plan? What logic and reason can scientists use to uncover a stealth God? And even more important, what instruments do you use to conclude that the God of the Heavens and Earth do NOT exist?

Honestly, you will find that logic and reason will lead you to consider the evidence that is available:
1) His Holy Scriptures;
2) Related Archaeology;
3) His Creation;
4) The Nation of Yishrael

This will leave you to only two choices:
I) I believe the evidence;
2) I don't believe the evidence

Man's scientific instruments will not give him an edge in beyond these two conclusion in either direction; to do assume otherwise is to reveal their bias and bigotry. Some believe in science like a religion. Why is that? :shrug:

Last edited: