• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does faith compromise a person's ability to reason?

Does faith compromise a person's ability to reason?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

strikeviperMKII

Once hunger has been "satisfied",
"eating food" will no longer make you "less hungry".

True, but I did say you had to do faith correctly. Eating food when you're not hungry is not eating correctly...unless you're doing to for some other reason than to satisfy hunger.

Anyway, I'm curious,
perhaps I missed it,
what is this "outcome" of which you speak?

Specifically, I said that it will help you see more objectively than before.

strikeviperMKII

And what comes after the start?

To be honest, I don't know that yet. I haven't really gotten that far. I can say there's more, but I don't know what it is.

My thoughts?
It's funny how the results (of letting go) can be exactly the same,
and yet completely different....(for different people),
all at the same time....

It is interesting.

Ben Masada

If faith compromises a person's ability to reason? It surely does. Faith is just a small step into the condition of a fundamentalist. Once a faithful fundamentalist, a person becomes no different from the faithful of Jim Jones. Dangerous to him or herself and to the public in general. A faithful fundamentalist can't think straight.

outhouse

Atheistically
faith is a convenient that way...
it's like an endless supply of water which finds any hole...

faith, the assurance of hope of things unseen. which ultimately blinds us to reality. it's as if we cannot accept what we see.

you mention physicists...but what stops them from moving forward is faith.
perhaps you've seen this... perhaps not.

[youtube]0vrpPPV_yPY[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrpPPV_yPY

thank you

this is a clear cut case of faith blinding reason

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
faith is a convenient that way...
it's like an endless supply of water which finds any hole...

faith, the assurance of hope of things unseen. which ultimately blinds us to reality. it's as if we cannot accept what we see.

you mention physicists...but what stops them from moving forward is faith.
perhaps you've seen this... perhaps not.

[youtube]0vrpPPV_yPY[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrpPPV_yPY

Dude have you been reading anything I wrote?

We all have faith. Most commonly I would coin the term "social faith" meaning when we cross the street we have a kind of assurance that cars will yield to us and stop or we have an assurance that the mailman will show up. Sure these aren't gurantees but our unconscious mind does not worry whether cars will hit us or whether people will obey the law. We all have faith in unforseeable events. I will ask you, when does your mail come? You may say today at 'X' time. But it may not. For the religionist its a similar scale the only difference is that religionist and most specifically thrust have faith in incoporeal.deity or deities and subsequent doctrines that relate to that belief.

Most physicist I know at my university aren't prevented in explaining the laws of thermodynamics or spherical triganometry. Most people if faith in the educational field I am sure would say teaching enhances their faith because in part, you are able to discuss the wonders of "God's work."

Make sense, please. I don't understand you.

I thought the message was clear. Im guessing you understand the meaning of a broad brush? If you are taken aback by the relatively small number of people who use that brush here, then you might be in for a serious shock if you found out what the total number of people in the world is who think that faith compromises a person's ability to reason.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I'd see this as people just being stupid and someone pointing out just how stupid their ideas have become. Of course, when you do faith wrong, that tends to happen.
Come on now. Do you follow the no meat eating on Fridays during Lent? Or the praying to Mary? How about the "transforming" of water and wine to christ's blood? Should I go on?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Dude have you been reading anything I wrote?

We all have faith. Most commonly I would coin the term "social faith" meaning when we cross the street we have a kind of assurance that cars will yield to us and stop or we have an assurance that the mailman will show up. Sure these aren't gurantees but our unconscious mind does not worry whether cars will hit us or whether people will obey the law. We all have faith in unforseeable events. I will ask you, when does your mail come? You may say today at 'X' time. But it may not. For the religionist its a similar scale the only difference is that religionist and most specifically thrust have faith in incoporeal.deity or deities and subsequent doctrines that relate to that belief.

Most physicist I know at my university aren't prevented in explaining the laws of thermodynamics or spherical triganometry. Most people if faith in the educational field I am sure would say teaching enhances their faith because in part, you are able to discuss the wonders of "God's work."

listen cupcake...i'm agreeing with you :p
that is why i said faith is convenient that way and fills up any hole...
from crossing the street to believing your parents are your parents to knowing your dog will greet you at the door.
i think you are perhaps mixing up faith with religious faith when you say..,
teaching enhances their faith because in part, you are able to discuss the wonders of "God's work
when one wonders one contemplates either; god did it or how was that done
one already limited itself the other keeps the options open. see what i mean?
but we are arrogant creatures, we do give ourselves an undue sense of importance, do we not? and faith is a symptom of arrogance because it assuredly assumes knowledge, like assuming your dog will greet you at the door...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I thought the message was clear.
Your wording was not.

you might be in for a serious shock if you found out what the total number of people in the world is who think that faith compromises a person's ability to reason.
You expect me to believe the number of people who would say faith compromises a person's ability to reason (not can, but does - I have no doubt some people hide behind faith) will be larger than 53%?

Are we living on the same planet? :areyoucra

Either way, I'm not interested in the direct numbers, except that a large number of people are being painted with a mighty broad brush.