• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you understand Religion, or do you think you understand Religion

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
if one says, the God I worship, is the true God. That makes sense. but if I ask which god is that, and You say God. o_O

This is why I think calling any god God is nothing short of confusing. Especially when one uses the word for things not associated with a deity at all.

nPeace

Veteran Member
religion is like food, some people develop an appetite for it....
is it considered "normal" behavior to quiz people endlessly over their choice of food?
apparently people do not make the correlation.
Yes, that is exactly how it is.
Like going to the market, and choosing vegetables based on one's preferences.
Then saying, "I like this. Who are you to decide what I like. Go eat your own vegetables."
:D
Don't you think that's sad? :(

danieldemol

Premium Member
In my experience, academic knowledge alone may lead to an understanding of the mechanics of something, but no one truly understands something until they experience it.

A not-so-brief anecdote:

I used to ride to work with my step-father every day in the summertime and on weekends since I was 11. Every truck he had was a Ford F-250 with a four-speed manual stick.

As one that always needs to know how something works, I watched every move and thought I had a thorough understanding of how to drive that truck.

Three years later at the age of 14, I was armed with all the knowledge and understanding of how to drive. After all, I backed my mother's van out of the garage on numerous occasions, so I had this driving thing down pat, right?

After asking my step-father if I could drive, he pulled to truck to the side of the dirt road we lived on, stopped and shut it down. I walked around the back of the truck, and I got behind the wheel confident that I had an understanding of how to drive, fired it up, pushed down the clutch, shifted into 2nd (1st was granny gear), gave it a bit of gas, and instantly killed the engine.

Okay, I didn't give it enough gas. So I fired it back up, pushed down the clutch again, gave it some gas, and shot gravel in every direction sending the back end of the truck out of control. When all was said and done, we were sideways on the road and not running. In a panic, I had slammed on the brake, forgot to depress the clutch, and killed the engine again.

It was then I realized that I had the knowledge to drive the truck, but not the understanding. After several more tries, I got it, but it was experience, not knowledge, that brought me understanding.
Experience is overrated in some areas, for example you don't need to walk off a 100m high cliff without a bungee cord/parachute etc to know that it is not right for you.

Likewise one does not need to experience subjecting women to extra contractual requirements to men to know that it is not right for everyone.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many people in RF holds a belief in one Religion or an other.
Many people in RF do not hold a belief in Religion.

1: Are you sure you understand what Religion really is, and what is needed to be done to gain full effect of the practice ?

2: Or do you think you know what Religion really is about, but do not see the need to practice any of it to know and understand?
There are a great many religions about which I know very little. I dare say there are many more I've never heard of.

But I think the answer to the question, What is religion really about? must lie in our evolution as gregarious primates ─ otherwise how are we to account for the presence of forms of religion and forms of supernatural belief in just about every human society we know of.

Religions usually include beliefs about natural phenomena, good and bad luck, and death. They also form part of tribal identity ─ think of the terms in which opposition in the US to Muslims and atheists have been phrased (not to mention race relations as such), the opposition to Mitt Romney for being a Mormon, and so on. Other parts of tribal identity may include language, customs, stories, heroes and so on. The evolutionary advantages of tribal solidarity start with cooperation, something humans do extremely well when they want to.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a person who has deeply practiced a religion in the past I think it is just pride speaking to think people can't understand a religion without practising it.
I agree when the religion is the philosophy or beliefs of it, but when it's the practice, or experiential part of it, then no. A man simply cannot understand what it's like to have a baby. If a person of a contemplative religion meditates and sees, for example, in mystic vision, the anahata chakra, and brings that vision memory back with him to the external, or conscious mind, I don't see how a non-practitioner will understand that, let alone believe it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

1: Are you sure you understand what Religion really is, and what is needed to be done to gain full effect of the practice ?

2: Or do you think you know what Religion really is about, but do not see the need to practice any of it to know and understand?
I have absolutely no clue what religion is for others, and very little clue what it is for me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I know. That's why I am asking you.
How is one supposed to understand the statement you made ... God is a real God? What does that mean to you?
The teaching given to Muhammad from God is the teachi follow and will be following, that means even i do not say Christian teachings are wrong i do not follow the teaching in the bible :)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Experience is overrated in some areas, for example you don't need to walk off a 100m high cliff without a bungee cord/parachute etc to know that it is not right for you.

You're actually reinforcing my point here. You have academic knowledge of what will happen, but do you understand the feeling of walking off a 100m high cliff? Do you understand what the freefall feels like? Do you understand the feeling of impact as you hit the ground or exactly what you would be feeling emotionally just before impact?

Likewise one does not need to experience subjecting women to extra contractual requirements to men to know that it is not right for everyone.

You won't mind if I don't address this, because you know you're just building a straw man at this point, right?

nPeace

Veteran Member
This is why I think calling any god God is nothing short of confusing. Especially when one uses the word for things not associated with a deity at all.
"calling any god God?" :confused: How confusing. :D
I do agree with you that man has truly confused the issue, by removing the name of God from the scriptures. By doing so, they have committed a terrible deed.
They caused confusion.

However, apparently some seem not to mind the confusion, because it is possible to recognize the name of God, since it is still in the texts.
So if like you said, "My granddad's truck". You could also call your granddad by name, and there is no confusion.

Likewise, acknowledging God's name, which evidently, many don't want to do (hence the problem) for obvious reasons.... If I was unfaithful to God, I would not want to call him by name either... Acknowledging God's name, make quite a bit of difference.
I say, Jehovah is the true God, The scriptures say the same thing.
The name has meaning.
Yahweh? Some choose to use that. What does that mean?

In the Bible, no confusion exists regarding false god. Do you notice that all of them are identified by name. and with the people who worship them?
For example, the god of the Philistines - Dagon. Baal, the god of a few nations, including Moab.
So when people choose their gods, no one has any problem identifying with what they are saying.
How different with those who form their own worship today.

MNoBody

Yes, that is exactly how it is.
Like going to the market, and choosing vegetables based on one's preferences.
Then saying, "I like this. Who are you to decide what I like. Go eat your own vegetables."
:D
Don't you think that's sad? :(
indeed.
and given that one man's meat may be another man's poison it gets tedious when people push their favorite food onto you....
what do you do when they get all friendly, but overbearingly insistent....
like" you look hungry, eat some more" after one has eaten more than the obligatory portion already out of politeness?
worse yet, if such imagine one to be "ill" or "off" to them, but no worry, we have some medicine for you right here.... and get quite insistent about it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
The teaching given to Muhammad from God is the teachi follow and will be following, that means even i do not say Christian teachings are wrong i do not follow the teaching in the bible :)
In other words, "Leave me alone, and let me do what I want. Don't ask me what I believe, or to explain anything about what I say, or believe."
Is that correct?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In other words, "Leave me alone, and let me do what I want. Don't ask me what I believe, or to explain anything about what I say, or believe."
Is that correct?
Where did you get from?
All i am saying is i have my personal belief in the Islamic teaching. If others believe in other religious teachings and follow it, that is not a problem for me at all.
I have no need to discredit or say bad about any religion at all.

My wish is to practice peacefully between all people.

firedragon

Veteran Member

The problem is brother, when you say "practice it", there maybe a billion or more different views on what "practicing it" means.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The problem is brother, when you say "practice it", there maybe a billion or more different views on what "practicing it" means.
I know but the word practice in my way of seeing it is that practice means the way you follow the teaching every day, to become a better human being.
Not just follow it blindly

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

It's going to sound pedantic, but I haven't met anyone who doesn't believe in religion. Religion's existence is a fact.

I was raised in a religion, but ultimately the answer depends on what you mean by 'full effect'. Many atheists...myself included...have good theological understanding of at least one religion, and have attempted to be religious at at least one point in their life.
I've answered your question, so one in return...
Why do you think atheists wouldn't? Are you sure you understand why atheists are atheists?

Personally I have moved away from theism (since I don't believe in God). That's not about whether I understand God, or whether I want to believe in God. It's simply a statement of what I believe.
I moved away from religion because it held no value for me personally. I have... occasionally...recommended for other people to move towards religion, as I thought it was the best next step for them.

It seems a strange hubris to me to believe others should walk my path just because it is best for me.
Similar in nature to those whod suggest its NOT best for me, but do so without any understanding of me, my life, or how I live.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
religion is like food, some people develop an appetite for it....
is it considered "normal" behavior to quiz people endlessly over their choice of food?
apparently people do not make the correlation.

Melbourne has a lot of hipsters, and they'll happily question your choice of coffee whilst sipping on some truly horrendous beer because...ya know...fashion.

nPeace

Veteran Member
indeed.
and given that one man's meat may be another man's poison it gets tedious when people push their favorite food onto you....
what do you do when they get all friendly, but overbearingly insistent....
like" you look hungry, eat some more" after one has eaten more than the obligatory portion already out of politeness?
worse yet, if such imagine one to be "ill" or "off" to them, but no worry, we have some medicine for you right here.... and get quite insistent about it.

Can't stop laughing.
That's why I like the way of the god of the Bible - Jehovah.
He gave his people good food, and he invites all... Come eat.
(Isaiah 25:6) . . .In this mountain Jehovah of armies will make for all the peoples A banquet of rich dishes, A banquet of fine wine, Of rich dishes filled with marrow, Of fine, filtered wine.

(Isaiah 65:13) . . .Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says: “Look! My servants will eat, but you will go hungry. Look! My servants will drink, but you will go thirsty. Look! My servants will rejoice, but you will suffer shame.

However, it's an invitation to only those who want it.
(Revelation 21:6) . . .To anyone thirsting I will give from the spring of the water of life free.

(Revelation 22:17) . . .And the spirit and the bride keep on saying, “Come!” and let anyone hearing say, “Come!” and let anyone thirsting come; let anyone who wishes take life’s water free.

Some do get a taste, and go. Ummmm Good. ...and they clamor for more.
(Psalm 34:8) . . .Taste and see that Jehovah is good; Happy is the man who takes refuge in him.

Those of God's people follow his example, and offer people, rather than try to force them.
They might pass the sweet smelling bread under their nose though. :D
Have you ever passed a bakery, and could not resist going into it? ;)

MNoBody

Can't stop laughing.
That's why I like the way of the god of the Bible - Jehovah.
He gave his people good food, and he invites all... Come eat.
(Isaiah 25:6) . . .In this mountain Jehovah of armies will make for all the peoples A banquet of rich dishes, A banquet of fine wine, Of rich dishes filled with marrow, Of fine, filtered wine.

(Isaiah 65:13) . . .Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says: “Look! My servants will eat, but you will go hungry. Look! My servants will drink, but you will go thirsty. Look! My servants will rejoice, but you will suffer shame.

However, it's an invitation to only those who want it.
(Revelation 21:6) . . .To anyone thirsting I will give from the spring of the water of life free.

(Revelation 22:17) . . .And the spirit and the bride keep on saying, “Come!” and let anyone hearing say, “Come!” and let anyone thirsting come; let anyone who wishes take life’s water free.

Some do get a taste, and go. Ummmm Good. ...and they clamor for more.
(Psalm 34:8) . . .Taste and see that Jehovah is good; Happy is the man who takes refuge in him.

Those of God's people follow his example, and offer people, rather than try to force them.
They might pass the sweet smelling bread under their nose though. :D
Have you ever passed a bakery, and could not resist going into it? ;)
wisdom is depicted as preparing a table and shouting at the passing dead fools, come and eat......
but does not go out and start grabbing patrons to fill the booths.
So I really wonder at those who start compelling others to "come and eat".
personally speaking my mom is the only one that can get away with that behavior.
[to get me to eat something...HA ...won't cross her..just out of respect]

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I fully understand what Religion really is but the individual determines the needs to gain full effect of the practice.