• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you practice what the bible says?

DNB

Christian
What's worldliness exactly?

PS: aren't some forms of bigotry mandated like against apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals and the like?
Wordliness is being shallow, and conforming to the constructs and conventions of the physical or materialism. As opposed to transcending the flesh and living by the spirit.
Yes, the Bible denounces many behaviours as in sexual immoralities and perversions, arrogance and abuse, defiance and contempt for God, etc...
I do not consider righteous judgements as bigotries, but rather superficial criticisms as being bigoted. To regard sodomy or homosexuality as corrupt and shameful, does by no means compare to one considering another as inferior due to their class, race, stature or credentials. Even if one was wrong about judging certain sexual practices as subversive, the intent does not qualify the assessment as bigoted, for it stems from a concern for a healthy and wholesome lifestyle, not intended to abuse, ridicule or demean.

Last edited:

DNB

Christian
I'm pretty sure all do to some degree. Thank goodness we can't read each other's thoughts.
Just keep doing your best and working on improving, and if here and there you take the wrong path, turn around and get back on the right one.
I couldn't agree with you more!

epronovost

Wordliness is being shallow, and conforming to the constructs and conventions of the physical or materialism. Not transcending the flesh, and living by the spirit.

That's not exactly clear. What's transcending the flesh and living by the spirit? It seems to me that "worldiness" is living by observable reality and not by a specific religious dogma.

PS: I would say recommanding the killing or homosexual is very much abuse and not ''a legitimate concern for health and wholesomeness of a lifestyle''. The fact that there homosexuality isn't particularly unhealthy also makes the ''concern for health'' argument fall flat. The fact that the Bible doesn't present any specific reason to prohibit homosexuality and a variety of restriction surrounding sexuality is also problematic.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
This is not my number one scripture, but it's on the top 10: "Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business" (1Thess. 4:11)
Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone practiced this?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. It suggests to me advising to disconnect from the world. :shrug:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This is not my number one scripture, but it's on the top 10: "Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business" (1Thess. 4:11)
Sounds nice, but we also need to remember that we are "our brother's [and sisters'] keeper". IOW, most of Jesus' teachings involve how we treat others, such as what's found in his Sermon On the Mount and his Two Commandments: love God and love thy neighbor.

Vee

Premium Member
How does that work with the heavily evangelical/proselytizing aspect of Christianity?

I wouldn't apply them in the same context.
Preaching and teaching is a mission that Jesus gave to his followers. Mathew 28: 19,20 says "Go therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy sprit, teaching them the things I have commanded you". Now, it doesn't say "if people are not interested annoy the living days out of them until they change their minds" though. If I knocked on your door or called you and you told me you're not interested in learning about the bible, I would thank you for your time and move on because I respect your personal space and your right to make your own decisions.
The fact that someone offers to teach you something, or even to sell you something if you are approached, as I am, by sales people, doesn't mean they are minding your business. They are accomplishing their mission or doing their job, depending on how you look at it. For me it becomes problematic when people overstep the boundaries.
I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that this happens a lot more between family members or people who know each other well, than between strangers. You know the "why are you not married yet?", "how come you spent so much money on a car?", "why can't you be more like your brother?" sort of question? Those are examples of minding other people's business and they don't normally come from outsiders.

DNB

Christian
That's not exactly clear. What's transcending the flesh and living by the spirit? It seems to me that "worldiness" is living by observable reality and not by a specific religious dogma.
I meant to say: As opposed to transcending the flesh and living by the spirit.

PS: I would say recommanding the killing or homosexual is very much abuse and not ''a legitimate concern for health and wholesomeness of a lifestyle''. The fact that there homosexuality isn't particularly unhealthy also makes the ''concern for health'' argument fall flat. The fact that the Bible doesn't present any specific reason to prohibit homosexuality and a variety of restriction surrounding sexuality is also problematic.
Sexual deviancies are an abomination, they pervert the way that the body was meant to be used, how opposite genders were to relate with each other, and destroys character. This is the unhealthy aspect about it. The improper behaviour and character of people who practice such hedonism is quite evident - they are very crass, vulgar, selfish, bimboish, and so forth. You will never meet a true lady or gentleman who indulges in such activities.
Sorry epronovost, but I believe that you fail to see the consequences or shameful as aspect of such acts. The Bible does not prohibit certain activities for capricious reasons, it always has man's best interest in mind.

epronovost

I meant to say: As opposed to transcending the flesh and living by the spirit.

My problem with your definition is that you are basically using even more complex concepts to explain complex concept. Like "transcending the flesh and living by spirit"; that's not exactly all that clear. Do you mean by that "worldly" things means things that aren't virtuous within your religious framework. For example, charity is virtuous, but buying toilet paper is worldly. Is that correct?

What's the difference between "wordly things" and "sinful things"? The two seem quite similar.

they are very crass, vulgar, selfish, bimboish, and so forth. You will never meet a true lady or gentleman who indulges in such activities.

If that's not not intended to abuse, ridicule or demean, then I don't know what such comments are. Your post 22 clearly states that this is not what you stand for and yet you clearly insult and demean an entire population. Have you failed your own morality and did something bad when you wrote those line or did you do something good?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I wouldn't apply them in the same context.
Preaching and teaching is a mission that Jesus gave to his followers. Mathew 28: 19,20 says "Go therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy sprit, teaching them the things I have commanded you". Now, it doesn't say "if people are not interested annoy the living days out of them until they change their minds" though. If I knocked on your door or called you and you told me you're not interested in learning about the bible, I would thank you for your time and move on because I respect your personal space and your right to make your own decisions.
The fact that someone offers to teach you something, or even to sell you something if you are approached, as I am, by sales people, doesn't mean they are minding your business. They are accomplishing their mission or doing their job, depending on how you look at it. For me it becomes problematic when people overstep the boundaries.
I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that this happens a lot more between family members or people who know each other well, than between strangers. You know the "why are you not married yet?", "how come you spent so much money on a car?", "why can't you be more like your brother?" sort of question? Those are examples of minding other people's business and they don't normally come from outsiders.

About ten years ago I was waiting at the bus stop and a JW came up to me out of the blue and asked if I believed in god and was I interested in learning about Jehovah. She preceded to ask me what I believed and not because she was interested herself. Now, sometimes I see people I talk with every so often. We say hello, how are you, and go our way. However, for many christians (JW and some evangelist I came across in similar token seem to have a high regards in this) don't speak to me with a non-religious intent.

Now, I don't agree with the bible at all and can't take verses out of context such as love your neighbor. However, how do you interpret "minding your own business" in the verse you quoted and jesus saying to evangelize to people and convert them to worship his god?

Do you have a different interpretation of that verse?

Seeing JW and mormons hanging out in mall stores getting their hours and stopping people to talk about god isn't minding one's own business.

I've came across this with southern baptist, JW, and non denomination give or take. I never got this in catholicism so there is a strong contrast between evangelizing especially the how.

Why not do so in your behaviors and conversation?
Why not let people see god in how you conduct yourself?

People are more influenced by example not information.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Now, it doesn't say "if people are not interested annoy the living days out of them until they change their minds" though. If I knocked on your door or called you and you told me you're not interested in learning about the bible, I would thank you for your time and move on because I respect your personal space and your right to make your own decisions.
I don't believe this is generally the policy of most evangelical Christian denominations, which makes me wonder why. Would it be correct to say that if the verse about going out to preach conflicts with any other verse, the former would practically always win?

GardenLady

Context matters. Let's look at the verses before and after the one quoted in the OP.

9 Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10 And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, 11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe I do not consciously practice what the Bible says. I rely on the Holy Spirit to practice in me His will.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Nice verse. I am no longer a Christian, but that does not mean that I reject all of the verses of the Bible. There is quite a bit of good advice in it.

I believe this is not a good thing to do: Acts1:18 (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness, and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe this is not a good thing to do: Acts1:18 (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness, and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out
So it is not a good idea to follow at least some of the teachings of the Bible. Thanks for the info.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It's certainly rare to find a "Christian" business that pays its staff daily in accordance with Deuteronomy 24:15:

You shall give him his wages on the same day, before the sun sets (for he is poor and counts on it), lest he cry against you to the Lord, and you be guilty of sin.

And I'm not sure how limited corporate liability can be squared up with Romans 13:7:

Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.
Just curious, are you saying the Mosaic Law applies to Christians? If this were true, all male Christians would need to be circumcised. But per Scripture, that is not the case. Acts of the Apostles 15 ; vs 28,29 ,however, states there are a few “necessary things” Christians need to abide by.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nice verse. I am no longer a Christian, but that does not mean that I reject all of the verses of the Bible. There is quite a bit of good advice in it.
I agree with that. There is at least some sage advice that would contribute to making a better person and world if followed appropriately and willingly.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just curious, are you saying the Mosaic Law applies to Christians?
The Christians who put Ten Commandments monuments up at courthouses, schools, and legislatures certainly seem to think so.

If this were true, all male Christians would need to be circumcised. But per Scripture, that is not the case.
Right: there are plenty of passages in the New Testament (e.g. Romans 2:28-29) that carve out specific exceptions from circumcision and dietary rules.

Acts of the Apostles 15 ; vs 28,29 ,however, states there are a few “necessary things” Christians need to abide by.
I don't see divorce on that list in Acts; apparently, many Christians have a different interpretation of the passage than you do.