• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you practice what the bible says?

epronovost

After all this flippin' time, are we really still discussing what the flippin' heck 'wordly' means????? What are you, pedantic??? Just accept my usage, whether you agree with it or not, and address the point at hand. Don't get semantical about it, move on.

Your usage is meaningless; and yes I am pedantic. If you can't articulate your thoughts in a cogent manner, you can't really expect others to understand you or even to understand your own scriptures. For example, your vague to the point of meaningless usage of wordly and wordlyness could prevent you from understanding other core messages of your scriptures like the importance of charity, but also mercy and humility.

And, by the way, homosexuality is corrupt and perverted, and those who practice it will pay the price in their character and lives (not necessarily directly from God).
With all your anthropological and social studies, did you never come to understand human vice and depravity - what a man practices in the flesh, controls him. Christians strive for self-discipline and transcendence of the flesh and all its desires - I am not talking over your head again, am I?

I do understand depravity and vice; I am criticizing yours aren't I. You are, by your own standards, depraved for you sin by pride and by wrath which leads you to hold bigoted and slanderous views and to wield those as a cudgel instead of focus your criticism inward and elevate yourself. When your lapse of judgement is pointed out, you become defensive and turn to even more bigoted and incendiary statements, many of which boldly false and exaggerated.

Furthermore, your wrong headedness is such that you would place yourself above your betters by sheer pride and envy. Your simplistic rejection of the world also makes you mistaken about the nature of transcendence. Transcendence isn't the rejection of the physical world, but using the physical world's nature to attain a higher understanding of God, virtues and spirituality. Transcendence is not being into another world but both and neither at the same time. Denying your own wordly nature as if it was "bellow you" isn't mastering your own nature; it's fleeing it and there comes to sin of pride. You are wordly; only God isn't. You can only attain God by accepting what you are, try to attain peace by mastering your desires and needs into work that will help your fellow humans and elevate your mind through this work and those experiences to understand the generosity and sacrifice endured by your God. Homosexuals are in no way incapacitated in that regard as shown by their presence amongst the most august, spiritual, generous and charitable humans in existence. Only those who fail to see their fault and tame their demons, whatever they may be for each of us have different ones, may pretend to this state.

DNB

Christian
Your usage is meaningless; and yes I am pedantic. If you can't articulate your thoughts in a cogent manner, you can't really expect others to understand you or even to understand your own scriptures. For example, your vague to the point of meaningless usage of wordly and wordlyness could prevent you from understanding other core messages of your scriptures like the importance of charity, but also mercy and humility.

I do understand depravity and vice; I am criticizing yours aren't I. You are, by your own standards, depraved for you sin by pride and by wrath which leads you to hold bigoted and slanderous views and to wield those as a cudgel instead of focus your criticism inward and elevate yourself. When your lapse of judgement is pointed out, you become defensive and turn to even more bigoted and incendiary statements, many of which boldly false and exaggerated.

Furthermore, your wrong headedness is such that you would place yourself above your betters by sheer pride and envy. Your simplistic rejection of the world also makes you mistaken about the nature of transcendence. Transcendence isn't the rejection of the physical world, but using the physical world's nature to attain a higher understanding of God, virtues and spirituality. Transcendence is not being into another world but both and neither at the same time. Denying your own wordly nature as if it was "bellow you" isn't mastering your own nature; it's fleeing it and there comes to sin of pride. You are wordly; only God isn't. You can only attain God by accepting what you are, try to attain peace by mastering your desires and needs into work that will help your fellow humans and elevate your mind through this work and those experiences to understand the generosity and sacrifice endured by your God. Homosexuals are in no way incapacitated in that regard as shown by their presence amongst the most august, spiritual, generous and charitable humans in existence. Only those who fail to see their fault and tame their demons, whatever they may be for each of us have different ones, may pretend to this state.
Sorry epronovost, I don't mean to defer the obligation to address what you said, but, Like i said just recently, defining the term wordly took too long. That was just a small aspect of my total argument, which, by now, I have totally forgotten what it was. You turned this into an issue of semantics when you should have just conceded the terminology and addressed the intent of the usage of the phrase (the Bible proved the validity of the term).

By the way, one thing that I've learnt a while back is to not try and get too deep with pedantic people, as you just claimed to be, for they are typically and fundamentally shallow in their perception of the world around them. Which, confounds me as to why in the world you would admit to being so - it's not a flattering trait, but rather on the contrary. You should look up the definition some time.

Dropship

This is not my number one scripture, but it's on the top 10: "Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business" (1Thess. 4:11)
Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone practiced this?

Whatever floats their boat. Monks for example feel called to shut themselves quietly away in monasteries..:)
On the other hand some people might feel it's their calling to be good samaritans and speak out to help others-

"Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will" (2 Tim 2:23-26)