• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you love your country?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Ha! Eerily reminds me of this song for some reason. Even though I haven't listioned to this artist in a long time.
[youtube]3mvgYVX2rs4[/youtube]
Marilyn Manson - The Love Song - YouTube

As to is it good to have love for ones own country, I would say it depends. In moderation, it is a good thing. But when it gets extreme, such as ultra-nationalism, then its bad.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Is it a good thing to love ones country?

I love the ideal of my country. I love the potential of my country. I love what the United States could be, someday.

I love many of the principles and foresighted innovations that our Founding Fathers gave us in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the other early Amendments. And I love many of the brilliant and just decisions rendered by our courts over the years.

But those things are not the sum total of America today. And there are many parts of our history that I abhor, many things being done today in the name of America and American Justice that I would abjure as shameful.

I don't love the America that currently exists, not truly. But I love the potential the country was created with, and I love the America that might yet exist.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Here's what I love about Texas in the springtime - and this photo is not photoshopped, it really looks like this here when the bluebonnets are in bloom.

538762_10151454563990191_226813135190_23642718_51502068_n.jpg

If you cain't love this, you ain't got no love in yore heart.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm Canadian. We don't wear our love on our sleeves the way some do, generally speaking. As Patty said, it's more based on thankfulness that we don't live somewhere else. We do love that fact.

Brann_ørn

No, I can hardly deal with the ignorant, happy to be blatantly stupid people in the good ol' USA. Have to walk around calling myself Canadian so I'm not associated with these people.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Would most of the posters here see any problem in a citizen of X country joining the military of Y country, while retaining citizenship and primary residence in X?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Would most of the posters here see any problem in a citizen of X country joining the military of Y country, while retaining citizenship and primary residence in X?

It would probably depend why they were doing it. For instance, in cases like the foreign nationals who came to Spain to fight the fascists during the Spanish Civil War, I probably wouldn't. Especially not in the case of something like the Eagle Squadron, the unit the RAF created for volunteer American pilots before the US entered WWII.

If the other country was an enemy or potential enemy of the soldier's home country, I would question his feelings for his home country, since he'd be setting up a situation where he may have to fight against it.

Trey of Diamonds

Loving your country is like loving your family. It's something you do, even if you don't particularly like them all that much. :yes:

Kathryn

You mean, become a hired mercenary?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Years ago, I had a friend who joined the US Military to go fight in Viet Nam. Yep, he actually wanted to go. When he returned from his tours, he became a DJ in Los Angeles for several years and finally moved back to Canada to become a High School teacher and counselor. He is a pretty amazing guy and last time I met up with him, he was an "on call" hostage negotiator for the Vancouver Police, and he was still teaching in an East Vancouver Alternate school for troubled teens by day.

And no, I certainly had no problem with him doing this. He is a very "driven" personality.

Dezzie

I think that I would love any Country for it's hidden beauties!

I do like where I live. The people are very kind and sweet, I love the mountains on which I hike, the sunsets and sunrises, the smell of the flowers outside my bedroom... There are many good things about this place... but unfortunately, there are some bad things too. Politics and the media.

Kathryn

There's good and bad everywhere. Our love for a place is often determined by what we focus on.

I am not ashamed to say that I love my house, I love my town, I love my state, and I love my country.

I could also love other homes, other towns, other states and other countries. In fact, I HAVE loved all those at other times in my life, and I carry them in my heart.

Here's another reason why I love East Texas in the spring time - lush greenery and azaleas everywhere!

7.jpg

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Is it a good thing to love ones country?

A country is a strange entity composed of geography, people, laws, and so on and so forth, and what a country is, is kinda hard to pin down in a way that people can agree upon. A country is also different depending on who you are and what your perspective is, and it is always changing. The country I lived in when I was a kid is somewhat different from the country I live in now, and it was even more different when my grandparents were kids. So all in all, it's a very conditional question.

I would say that I love living in 'my' country, and I love many of the things we have achieved here. But I am very much aware that none of this is constant, and that what my country will be, say, 10, 20 or 50 years from now depends on a lot of factors, most of all what we who live here do for the next 10, 20 or 50 years. It's all conditional, transitional and changeable.