• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you love your country?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No. It's a dangerous hubris.

Why, necessarily?

I think it depends on the form that love takes. If it's nothing more than jingoism, sure, that's negative. But I don't think that it's necessarily bad for a person to be emotionally invested in where they live, or for them to think that one country feels more like home than all the others.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I love the Mediterranean, I love hummus, I like local cold beer, I especially love to mix the three.
I love Hebrew slang mixed with Arabic words, I love the mountains of history and archaeology, I love the directness of the people, and the sense that someone is going to stick up for you.

bribrius

Is it a good thing to love ones country?
whqt? Babylon/united states?

its okay.

i dont love it. People lived here before the country existed. The country is just government. suppose it works, but my allegiance isn't to the government but i look at it more of a side attraction that is occasionally oppressive.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I really like a lot of countries, and can imagine living quite happily in any number of locales around the world. Some countries do some things better than the US, and we do some things better than they do.

I live in the "country" of Texas. (I say that tongue in cheek.) I am not a native of Texas, but I have grown to truly love and appreciate this beautiful, diverse, and dynamic state - just about everything about it, but most of all, the people, who are some of the hardest working and positive people I have ever met anywhere. I love my little town and am very proud of the way the town has come together and rebuilt after some very hard economic blows about twenty years ago.

But I also love Virginia, and North Carolina, and Maryland, and of course my beloved Louisiana. And every time I travel throughout the US (just got back from visiting family in the Midwest for example) I am struck by the vast beauty of this land, and by just how much I like most of the people I meet.

Then - I feel that way about lots of places I've visited, and I know that the people who live there probably have much of the same affection for their home and their culture as I do for mine.

So - yes, I love my country - fiercely and passionately. That doesn't mean I think it's perfect. But love doesn't expect perfection, or demand it.

Erebus

I love much of the landscape. I love the folklore. I love the older architecture. I love how fascinating the history can be. I love the wildlife.

I don't love the monarchy. I don't love the politicians and the businesses. I don't love the youths, the adults or the elderly. I don't love the working class, the middle class or the upper class. I most definitely do not love the children.

mycorrhiza

I consider it one of the best places to live, but I don't love Sweden. I love the environment and the culture here, but the country itself is only lines on a map.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Nowadays, I'm a bit more in love with humanity than I am with any particular nation.