• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a least-favorite Religion?

james bond

Weird.
Nearly every atheist I know is a a fire breathing capitalist business owner.
How does disbelief in gods lead anyone to want an oppressive government which punishes
individuality, & rewards being an unproductive drone with a bad haircut & drab clothing?

Btw, I know exactly 2 atheist communists IRL.
Both are Jews (husband & wife).

I'm not certain at this point, but think atheism will play a part. It could be a war or battle over religious and political ideas and not a physical one. Just like what we're doing here and no further. The other religion is Islam and it could lead to a physical war. The parts I'm not sure about is whether religion will have a direct or indirect affect. Other Christians, besides me, think the end times will be during our time, i.e. in this century. This is what I am investigating. Today, the powers that be that are forming are Israel, Iran, the United States, Russia, North Korea and China. By that I mean these countries are either gathering weapons of mass destruction or already possess them. It could be a physical war over the Middle East, oil and hard to believe but terrorism. Terrorism has its detractor and protractors, in other words. It could be a war over nuclear weapons and North Korea and China. I see a lot of potential turmoil and it could be avoided if moderate voices take root. Certainly, religion will play a part but probably will not be a cause.

Prestor John

Just wondering what your least favorite Religion is. Mine is the one that is currently doing more to promote bigotry, oppression of women, misogyny, religious war, intolerance, brainwashing, and terrorism in the name of God. I think it's disgusting when people will oppress other people because they believe something different about this invisible God.

If God is invisible and chooses to hide himself and remain silent (which he does), He's asking for there to be division! So let people believe what they want to!!

I know that the faith I belong to (Catholicism) has been quite guilty of that as well, and I find it disgusting. It is the Church of latter day sinners. The Church is made up of sinners and that is what sinners do is sin.
"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners" Luke 5:32. I've been very hurt by the Church. Many have. I follow my heart over any Dogma...and the God of the Bible isn't the God I know.
I've never been a fan of Islam.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Least favorite? Probably scientism (which for all intents and purposes is a religion for those that hold to it). It somehow manages to snub the sciences, the arts, and religions all at the same time.

Diak (Jack) Anosh

Premium Member
Just wondering what your least favorite Religion is. Mine is the one that is currently doing more to promote bigotry, oppression of women, misogyny, religious war, intolerance, brainwashing, and terrorism in the name of God. I think it's disgusting when people will oppress other people because they believe something different about this invisible God.

If God is invisible and chooses to hide himself and remain silent (which he does), He's asking for there to be division! So let people believe what they want to!!

If God were to be visible, all believers would have to do would consist of living a life similar to watching a movie. But "FAITH" requires more than what the eye can "see;" more than the ear can "hear;" and more than the mind can "Dream."

Faith is comprised of belief; activity motivated by that belief; and emotion driven by that faith.

I know that the faith I belong to (Catholicism) has been quite guilty of that as well, and I find it disgusting. It is the Church of latter day sinners. The Church is made up of sinners and that is what sinners do is sin.
"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners" Luke 5:32. I've been very hurt by the Church. Many have. I follow my heart over any Dogma...and the God of the Bible isn't the God I know.

"They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me."(John 16:2-3)

Catholicism has done more world-hurt than any other religion ever known to Man, even more than Islam, because it did not cease for centuries. At least Islam gets beaten, and retires every few centuries or so.

I was raised Catholic, loved it so much I was ready to be martyred if called upon to do so. But God called me to another way, a way of truth, and I have been free of the errors of Catholicism for over 65 years. I still remember that love, though,. because it was based upon the understanding of a child, and a child can be led to many things not believed upon growing to adulthood.

The Jesuits were the priests that taught me most of what I knew before moving on into study of scripture. But the Inquisition straightly constrains John 16:2-3 that goes beyond a simple argument over faith. It becomes a matter of life and death between two of God's children who simply had a difference of understanding beyond their own control or desire. They were taught as a child. Some never get over it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just wondering what your least favorite Religion is.
Sorry, PopeADope, but I'm going to sit this one out. I really like you and we have a lot in common, but when a thread starts actually encouraging people to bad-mouth somebody else's beliefs, I just can't bring myself to participate. I just wasn't raised to ridicule what other people hold sacred and I have no use for anyone who does. I will say that I don't like extremists and fanatics, regardless of which religion they practice.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was raised Christian but am dyslexic, for that reason i was driven from the church i loved. A 14 year old can only stand so much scorn and verbal abuse for being unable to read the bible.

That was number one

Number 2 was the Manchester bombing, Christians (more precisely the Catholic ira) peppered me with shrapnel and removed my aunts arm before my eyes.

Number 3 i wont discuss but involves prolonged and brutal abuse at the hands of a true Christian believer

Number 4,bwalking my children in their pushchair i was beaten to the ground and my children's pushchair was tipped onto the road in front of an on coming bus. They were pulled back by a passing jewish guy, while the two thugs, laughing, barged past a priest and into a church from where they disappeared. When asked by the police the priest denied seeing anyone fleeing.

Much as i loath the misogyny of Islam, no Muslim has ever tried to hurt me or mine. I only wish i could say the same of Christianity which has truly earned its place as least favorite religion

Christianity can be proud to boast that it, and it alone is the reason i am atheist.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I couldn't possibly answer this question. I think that there are tens of millions of religions and I don't know all of them.

I think religion is entirely in the minds and hearts of individuals. Those get categorized in many ways, ranging from super-broad to pretty specific, but there are few individuals with identical religions. An example from my own culture might be: Abrahamic- > Christian- > Protestant- > Lutheran-> Missouri Synod-> Saint Peters Church-> and then you get to individual members with their own thoughts and beliefs. Two people can worship side by side for years and have significantly different religions.

Perhaps I am so aware of this due to my connection to the vast and diverse Roman Catholic church.
But I find the same is true of everyone from Buddhist to pantheists to Pagans to Muslims. Everybody.
The religion is what is inside you. Not the labels you identify with.
Tom

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sorry, PopeADope, but I'm going to sit this one out. I really like you and we have a lot in common, but when a thread starts actually encouraging people to bad-mouth somebody else's beliefs, I just can't bring myself to participate. I just wasn't raised to ridicule what other people hold sacred and I have no use for anyone who does. I will say that I don't like extremists and fanatics, regardless of which religion they practice.
I respect your opinion.

BTW,
When I said "Church of latter day sinners" I was speaking of my Church (Catholicism).

I've got nothing against your faith and I respect what others hold as sacred until it turns into the behaviour mentioned in the OP

God bless you!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I couldn't possibly answer this question. I think that there are tens of millions of religions and I don't know all of them.

I think religion is entirely in the minds and hearts of individuals. Those get categorized in many ways, ranging from super-broad to pretty specific, but there are few individuals with identical religions. An example from my own culture might be: Abrahamic- > Christian- > Protestant- > Lutheran-> Missouri Synod-> Saint Peters Church-> and then you get to individual members with their own thoughts and beliefs. Two people can worship side by side for years and have significantly different religions.

Perhaps I am so aware of this due to my connection to the vast and diverse Roman Catholic church.
But I find the same is true of everyone from Buddhist to pantheists to Pagans to Muslims. Everybody.
The religion is what is inside you. Not the labels you identify with.
Tom

Those are perhaps the most honest words i have ever heard from religion, i tip my hat to you.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Your post pricked my conscience. I repent. I was wrong.

I was overly curious what people's answers would be and what grievances people had against various Faith's.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I often find God to be cruel and disgusting and despise what I see coming from Religious people and can relate and sympathize with those who find Religion repulsive.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Where does it say others are "dogs"? Even if this was said about ancient, no longer existing tribes, how is that relevant today as to a Jewish outlook?
Yes the Jews of today are getting better with relationships with other beliefs other than their own, even Jesus was said to call others dogs.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I don't have a least favourite. A religion is like a knife - a knife isn't good or bad in itself - it can be used to cut vegetables or it can be used to commit murder.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I respect your opinion.

BTW,
When I said "Church of latter day sinners" I was speaking of my Church (Catholicism).

I've got nothing against your faith and I respect what others hold as sacred until it turns into the behaviour mentioned in the OP

God bless you!
Not to worry. I wasn't even thinking that you were referring to my church.

Your post pricked my conscience. I repent. I was wrong.
No biggie. Honest.