• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a least-favorite Religion?

Kapalika

Premium Member
Christianity has historically caused much more harm than Islam. I don't think the spatterings of violence today can ever compare to the level of destruction of culture and entire peoples that colonialism, imperialism and Manifest Destiny did. Just the act of going to the New World caused unintentional destruction through the introduction of disease which made all those things much easier to go through with intentionally.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I don't understand all the dislike for Judaism. What have the Jewish people ever done to deserve such a high place? If anything they have for most of history been victims rather than aggressors. And today reformed Judaism is one of the most sensible religions there is. And what "bad" things they did do in their scriptures were not considered heinous as they are today. There isn't much point at applying modern sensibilities to events that happened thousands of years ago and judging them on that. So I'm not sure what could be justified in using against them. So while their book might be pretty violent, that doesn't really mean anything on it's own since that doesn't mean it was totally true and even if it was, that was the way back then in that part of the ancient world.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't understand all the dislike for Judaism. What have the Jewish people ever done to deserve such a high place? If anything they have for most of history been victims rather than aggressors. And today reformed Judaism is one of the most sensible religions there is. And what "bad" things they did do in their scriptures were not considered heinous as they are today. There isn't much point at applying modern sensibilities to events that happened thousands of years ago and judging them on that. So I'm not sure what could be justified in using against them. So while their book might be pretty violent, that doesn't really mean anything on it's own since that doesn't mean it was totally true and even if it was, that was the way back then in that part of the ancient world.
They think they are the chosen, and everyone else is nothing but dogs.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just wondering what your least favorite Religion is. Mine is the one that is currently doing more to promote bigotry, oppression of women, misogyny, religious war, intolerance, brainwashing, and terrorism in the name of God. I think it's disgusting when people will oppress other people because they believe something different about this invisible God.

If God is invisible and chooses to hide himself and remain silent (which he does), He's asking for there to be division! So let people believe what they want to!!

I know that the faith I belong to (Catholicism) has been quite guilty of that as well, and I find it disgusting. It is the Church of latter day sinners. The Church is made up of sinners and that is what sinners do is sin.
"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners" Luke 5:32. I've been very hurt by the Church. Many have. I follow my heart over any Dogma...and the God of the Bible isn't the God I know.

I have no prejudices on religions with and without dogma, code of ethics, and healthy support, community, and devotion.

I dont care about the knife. A book can be dangerous just as a sharp edge of a toy.

I dont care for the person who uses it or if they use someone elses knife without their permission whether by force or not.

I dont know any religions that "promote" violence just have violence in it. However that person takes it is on the person not the religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Atheism and communism. They go hand-in-hand. For example, the New Atheism is a political movement.

We already have CNN = Communist News Network in place.
Weird.
Nearly every atheist I know is a a fire breathing capitalist business owner.
How does disbelief in gods lead anyone to want an oppressive government which punishes
individuality, & rewards being an unproductive drone with a bad haircut & drab clothing?

Btw, I know exactly 2 atheist communists IRL.
Both are Jews (husband & wife).

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of most religions that are really just philosophies, plus most westerners have a rosy eyed view of many Dharmic paths. They like to tote Buddhism as this egalitarian, peaceful modern thing, when it doesn't even allow women to hold certain positions. I feel like...if you just want a philosophy with no god, you can just evolve your own worldview/philosophy.

1AOA1

Just wondering what your least favorite Religion is. Mine is the one that is currently doing more to promote bigotry, oppression of women, misogyny, religious war, intolerance, brainwashing, and terrorism in the name of God. I think it's disgusting when people will oppress other people because they believe something different about this invisible God.
What is presented to the observer as what those who drink clean water, and possibly consume other things, do doesn't necessarily point to what drinking clean water does.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not a fan of most religions that are really just philosophies, plus most westerners have a rosy eyed view of many Dharmic paths. They like to tote Buddhism as this egalitarian, peaceful modern thing, when it doesn't even allow women to hold certain positions. I feel like...if you just want a philosophy with no god, you can just evolve your own worldview/philosophy.

I went to an Nichiren Temple, Veitnamese Temple, and theravada (couldnt figure the sect since the monks didnt speak english). It is far from a philosophy. Its a practice.

Some Americans change buddhism and hinduism but its best to talk to those practice by culture. Then you may see it as a religion definitely not philosophy. Defintely. That, to me, is western interpretation. Im american but from my experience I cant see dharma religions from that view especialy in western context of philosophy.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I went to an Nichiren Temple, Veitnamese Temple, and theravada (couldnt figure the sect since the monks didnt speak english). It is far from a philosophy. Its a practice.

Some Americans change buddhism and hinduism but its best to talk to those practice by culture. Then you may see it as a religion definitely not philosophy. Defintely. That, to me, is western interpretation. Im american but from my experience I cant see dharma religions from that view especialy in western context of philosophy.
What do lay buddhists do tho?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What do lay buddhists do tho?

Lay buddhist? They follow The Buddhas teachings. They arent bound by monastic laws which is what The Buddha mostly talks about during his first years of teaching.

A lot of lay buddhist are practitoners at different templez (like hinduism). They commune together. We have a zen monastary up in the mountains close by. Lay practitioners go for a week and practice their vows, meditate, charity work, and other things. We have a theravada monastary that every full and new moon they have retreats so new pract. can take formal vows to be a Buddhist in culture and practice.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Lay buddhist? They follow The Buddhas teachings. They arent bound by monastic laws which is what The Buddha mostly talks about during his first years of teaching.

A lot of lay buddhist are practitoners at different templez (like hinduism). They commune together. We have a zen monastary up in the mountains close by. Lay practitioners go for a week and practice their vows, meditate, charity work, and other things. We have a theravada monastary that every full and new moon they have retreats so new pract. can take formal vows to be a Buddhist in culture and practice.
But what does Buddhism teach that a human couldn't achieve without Buddhism?