• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a least-favorite Religion?

Prestor John

Seconded; so lets not act like children, john.
I find nothing more childish then trying to blame all the world's problems on those with whom you disagree.

Judaism did not introduce evil into the world.

Christianity and Islam did not introduce bigotry and warfare into the world.

Abrahamic religions are often people's "scapegoat' for what is wrong in the world and I find that a very childish position to take.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I find nothing more childish then trying to blame all the world's problems on those with whom you disagree.
As Christians often do?

There is a difference between blaming other people for one's problems, and recognizing history. No, the ancient pagans were not always peace-loving, and waged war in their own ways. Yet as I said before, it cannot really be said that they waged war against other people because of what they believed, either. Yet Christianity and Islam have. And do.

Abrahamic religions are often people's "scapegoat' for what is wrong in the world and I find that a very childish position to take.
You Christians really have no one to blame for that but yourselves. When you place yourselves in every government, own every aspect of social service, and all the while claim to be all about charity and good will, and the best at it--what do you expect people to think when it all goes wrong? You can only blame the devil so much before people start seeing horns on your brow.

I would find difficult to have hate towards a religion because I understand them as abstract and with broad interpretations varying according to the followers.
Human groups behave in very different ways having the same religion or not. Sometimes practices of very historically different religions can be quite similar by sharing the same local cultural background. What, of course, doesn't mean I could hate a "cultural background" because it's also abstract and broad - the same as are religions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First, it is spelled "Bible" and it is not pronounced "babble", but "BYE-BUL".

On the internet, all I have to judge you on are the words you use and spelling Bible that way makes you look not so smart. I'd like to think better of you, because I'm sure you are better. So be better.

Second, learning something and living something are two very different things.

How about instead of asking me to read the Bible, how about you read the words of Christ and come to understand that those who act that way are not following His example or teachings.

You spell it your way I'll spell it with what its full of

Your choice, i know who i am and your opinion is irrelevant.

Yes, i lived and learned, a double whammy, sorry you don't like it but don't blame me for your cults actions

Christ? I've read the babble cover to cover which sounds by your sloping shoulders responsibility shifting to be more than you. In fact i have read 3 different popular version's which not surprisingly are different. In any case the nt represents about 15% of the babble, and only represents the original committee compiled teachings of Christianity in a far fetched and much mistranslated way. So how about you learning what the book you revere actually says. Or are you one of those Christians who denies 85% of the babble actually applies to Christianity?

Prestor John

I'm just curious... How many Muslims do you know personally? Have you ever socialized with a Muslim? I have, on numerous occasions. When you get to know the people, you start to see the religion itself in a completely different light.
Hey Kat. How's it going?

I understand if you do not want to have a more "in-depth" discussion about my opinion concerning Islam, however, there is something I really wanted to talk about that is indirectly related.

I was going to bring in up in the discussion, but since we will most likely not have it, I figured I'd just get it out of the way. A sort of "side-bar". :)

If anyone ever told me, "I've never been a fan of 'Mormonism'", I don't think I'd ever ask them, "How many 'Mormons' do you know personally?'" or tell them that their opinion of "Mormonism" would change if they were to socialize with "Mormons".

I would find that approach to be rather passive aggressive. It implies that the person is ignorant of the religion in question or that they have closeted themselves away from adherents of that religion.

It over-simplifies their grievances with that religion. You are, not intentionally, telling them that their issues with that religion are not significant or important.

I mean, if my opinion concerning Islam could change just from socializing with Muslims, then did my opinion of Islam hold any water?

You don't even know my opinion concerning Islam, yet you are already implying that it is weak, flawed or flat-out wrong.

This is an argument that is often used by liberals against conservatives concerning anything. "You don't like same-sex marriage? It's probably because you are a bigot and shut yourself off from homosexuals."

I would also find that approach to be rather ineffective as an argument because I have met many people who admit that they are "not fans of Mormonism", however they also admit that they love "Mormons" as people.

I, for example, have issues with same-sex marriage on a moral level (I wish the State hadn't hijacked marriage!) however, I have no issue with homosexuals. I have many friends and acquaintances who are homosexuals. (A lot in SoCal and also a lot of lesbians in Law Enforcement).

The original OP was asking about "religion" or an ideology rather than about a particular group of people.

My answer was also about an ideology and not a particular group of people.

So, even though I'm pointing out that you commented as if I had said I was not a fan of "Muslims", when I actually said I was not a fan of "Islam", I don't fault you for it much because it is a common practice of a lot of people in this country to muddy the waters when it comes to controversial issues.

In other words - I still love you!

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The original OP was asking about "religion" or an ideology rather than about a particular group of people.

My answer was also about an ideology and not a particular group of people.

So, even though I'm pointing out that you commented as if I had said I was not a fan of "Muslims", when I actually said I was not a fan of "Islam", I don't fault you for it much because it is a common practice of a lot of people in this country to muddy the waters when it comes to controversial issues.

In other words - I still love you!
Gotcha. My bad. Still, as I already pointed out early on this thread (or maybe it was a different thread; I can't really remember), I tend to focus on the fruit of the religion as opposed to its tenets. Maybe it's something I shouldn't do, but it is what it is. Based on that (probably lousy) criteria, I'd have to say that my least favorite religion is evangelical Christianity. To me, religion is so much more than its doctrines. Obviously, the doctrines are important, but what kind of people does a religion produce? I know seven Muslims personally (at least that's the number I can come up with right off the top of my head). I believe they are all good people, and much of the reason why they are is because they are Muslims and practice their religion as it is supposed to be practiced. When it gets right down to the doctrines, I clearly have issues with Islam, in particular with their understanding of who Jesus Christ really was. On the other hand, those that I know personally seem to be more kind and loving and less judgmental than most of the evangelical Christians I know. It goes without saying that I am more in agreement with Christian doctrine than with Islamic doctrine.

Prestor John

Gotcha. My bad. Still, as I already pointed out early on this thread (or maybe it was a different thread; I can't really remember), I tend to focus on the fruit of the religion as opposed to its tenets. Maybe it's something I shouldn't do, but it is what it is. Based on that (probably lousy) criteria, I'd have to say that my least favorite religion is evangelical Christianity. To me, religion is so much more than its doctrines. Obviously, the doctrines are important, but what kind of people does a religion produce? I know seven Muslims personally (at least that's the number I can come up with right off the top of my head). I believe they are all good people, and much of the reason why they are is because they are Muslims and practice their religion as it is supposed to be practiced. When it gets right down to the doctrines, I clearly have issues with Islam, in particular with their understanding of who Jesus Christ really was. On the other hand, those that I know personally seem to be more kind and loving and less judgmental than most of the evangelical Christians I know. It goes without saying that I am more in agreement with Christian doctrine than with Islamic doctrine.
I understand and agree with that position.

Good on you Kat.