• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you hate God?

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
So if I said, "You can get rid of Palpatine or hitler, and remove their influence from history", you'd say, "Hmm, let me think, this is a toughie. Can I get back to you, I need to think it over."

:p

Me, I wouldn't get rid of either. Tinkering with history is a bad idea. Don't you watch Star Trek? :p

Yerda

Veteran Member
If he's real, he's a real c**t. As far as deities go, the one in the bible is repulsive.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Simple. They can hate the idea of God that exists in the minds of human beings. Because to an atheist, that's what God is.
But why would someone hate an idea that exists in other people's minds?

There are many ideas that I think can be very harmful. Even so, I hate the actual harm, not the idea.

Edit:
Oops, sorry. Just remembered this is a DIR forum. Please take this in the spirit of a question. :) I will cease and desist from any debating.

PureX

Veteran Member
But why would someone hate an idea that exists in other people's minds?
Perhaps because they believe that ideas causes suffering to them or others.

I, for example, hate the idea if fascism. I hate the idea of people being controlled like dumb animals, and being exploited for the benefit of a few in power.

I certainly don't hate the idea of God, and I in fact think it's mostly an idea that has positive results in the people who hold it. But there are some concepts of God that I would hate: that god is a petty and vindictive tyrant, who demands bribed of blood sacrifices from peole to forgive their sins, for example.
There are many ideas that I think can be very harmful. Even so, I hate the actual harm, not the idea.
Ideas have no reality but their effect, I agree. But we can still hate an idea. Wouldn't you hate the idea that it's OK to rape children? Or the idea that all women want to be brutalized during sex? Don't you find even the idea of such things abhorant, apart from the behaviors that follow them?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ideas have no reality but their effect, I agree. But we can still hate an idea. Wouldn't you hate the idea that it's OK to rape children? Or the idea that all women want to be brutalized during sex? Don't you find even the idea of such things abhorant, apart from the behaviors that follow them?
Honestly, I don't spend much time thinking about these ideas until they become actions. As I do not think about them, it is difficult to hate them.

PureX

Veteran Member
I spend a lot of time thinking about all sorts of ideas. I guess I find ideas fascinating. As a human being, I tend to feel that ideas are "what I do". They're what make me unique among other life forms.

Tiberius

Yeah, there's an INFINITE number of Gods that I don't believe in.

Same with Christians, for that matter....

Tiberius

No, just pointing out that there are an infinite number of conceivable Gods, and I don't believe in any of them.

Aasimar

Atheist
To answer the OP question, Yes I hate god (s). Mainly because the amount of thought that has been diverted, life destroyed, and human effort wasted in his, her, it's, their name. I personally kill in the name of Zeus, at least I've seen a lighting bolt. There must be some dude on a mountain throwing them right, most logical explaination.

Ðanisty

Don't you think hate is too strong a word for a fictional character?
Not if the book is well-written...lol. ;)

Wait, wouldn't that make you guys Apantheists?
Lol...now that's pretty funny. I'm going to have to remember that.

I'm not an atheist. I just wanted to point out that this thread could have just as easily been put in the LHP forum. Many of us do hate God (and some of us actually believe in him too). I know I do. :yes: