• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you care about truth?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted a thread and I'm not sure how this'll turn out, but anyway I have a question:

Does the perception that your belief (or lack of belief) is true make you happy about your belief or does the happiness you get from your belief (or lack of belief) lead you to percieve your belief as true?
For me, it's all about truth. Happiness is a whole separate issue.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted a thread and I'm not sure how this'll turn out, but anyway I have a question:

Does the perception that your belief (or lack of belief) is true make you happy about your belief or does the happiness you get from your belief (or lack of belief) lead you to percieve your belief as true?

I care very much for the truth, which is why me being an atheist is more of a consequence of being an empiricist than something that exists on its own.

nonbeliever_92

That's actually a lot more convoluted even than it sounds :) because 'the perception that a belief is true' is not the same thing as 'having a (true) belief'. (In other words, the two sides of your see-saw aren't the same length.)

We believe things because they are perceived as true. I think I can answer your question best by saying I'm happy in my beliefs just because I have some.

I'm fairly certain I kept the two sides equal.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm a white Christian heterosexual male. :shrug:

I can't go anywhere in cyberspace where I'm not already despised.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. You expect to be persecuted, so you see it everywhere you look. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are plenty of Christians here who feel they're treated fairly, too. And on the other hand, there are plenty of Christian sites that don't allow dissent.

tarasan

I'm a white Christian heterosexual male. :shrug:

I can't go anywhere in cyberspace where I'm not already despised.

firstly how would anyone on cyberspace know that?

secondly im a white christian heterosexual male and people like me....

at least I hope they like me cause they aint gettin rid of me anytime soon!! :yes:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
NOTE: I have added a few more questions to the original post, please answer.
'kay :eek:

What leads you to perceive your belief(s) as true?
My "beliefs" are mostly lack of beliefs. For things that are believed, they are based on evidence. (As in, basic human history, workings of the world and the universe, etc.)

What tools or processes do you use to scrutinize your belief(s) and their truth value?
I test all the parts, look for problems, and see how it is supposed to fit into a whole.

And are you being honest with yourself?
Brutally.

nonbeliever_92

Hmm, I shall try to express this as best I can.

You lost me. Do you mean believing in God?

I mean, that it seems to me that believers in 'god' 'higher power' 'ultimate purposes' etc. ultimately fall back on an emotional reason as to why they have their faith. I percieve their beliefs seem to rest on emotional comfort rather than a desire to know the truth. That's essentially what I'm trying to understand with this thread, and most of the other threads I posted, I'm trying to get to the core of why someone has theirs beliefs and whether or not they are scrutinizing the reasons with a clear eye.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What leads you to perceive your belief(s) as true?
Everything. That's not a cop out. I reached my current beliefs by analyzing all the data I have available, from hard science to mysticism.

What tools or processes do you use to scrutinize your belief(s) and their truth value?
Anything I can think of. Comparison to science is a big one, debate another.

And are you being honest with yourself?
As much as anyone can be.

nonbeliever_92

'kay :eek:

My "beliefs" are mostly lack of beliefs. For things that are believed, they are based on evidence. (As in, basic human history, workings of the world and the universe, etc.)

As I am understanding from your 'religion' status, you believe in karma no? Could you tell me from basic human history, workings of the world and the universe where karma fits in? Can you show me where it doesn't?