• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you care about truth?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Richard Dawkins not selling anything? :areyoucra I'd say he's just as much of a salesman as the pimple-faced Mormon missionary on your doorstep or the preacher-man on your TV. It's not very often I see an evangelist with Dawkins' verve and determination and absolute faith in what he's selling.
Richard Dawkins isn't "atheism." He's an atheist. Big difference.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Richard Dawkins not selling anything? :areyoucra I'd say he's just as much of a salesman as the pimple-faced Mormon missionary on your doorstep or the preacher-man on your TV. It's not very often I see an evangelist with Dawkins' verve and determination and absolute faith in what he's selling.

As mentioned, Dawkins isn't atheism, and what he is selling, if anything is science and scientific understanding. You know, the very thing that allows you to have this discussion with people all around the globe.

Also, you have to consider that out of his many books, -one- concerns itself with religion. All the others deal with science, primarily biology, his subject. He is a brilliant writer and an excellent educator.

Atheism though, merely consists of not believing in any god or gods. That is all it is. You don't have to believe in science to be an atheist, you don't have to like Dawkins (many don't), you don't have to agree with Hitchens or Harris or any of celeb atheists. As long as you don't buy what the theists are selling (i.e. that there is a god) you're an atheist.