• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that your god or goddess is personal, impersonal, or are you undecided?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really understand what folks mean half the time when they say the gods are "personal" or not.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I'm not really sure at this point, because I'm going through a process of change and exploration. But I think They're conscious forces or beings that exist within and without us.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend CC,

Do you believe that your god or goddess is personal, impersonal, or are you undecided?
Have no belief system in the first place as belief is mind related and transcending that very mind is to be in oneness with existence.
Truth stands on its own feet, needs none to believe IT as the perceive r themselves are part of THAT which they do not realize.

Love & rgds

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I no longer have a use for a god concept. Oneness does funny things to one's former thoughts on the matter. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

On the topic of Personal God:
wiki:
A personal god is a deity who can be related to as a person[citation needed] instead of as an "impersonal force", such as the Absolute, "the All", or the "Ground of Being".
In the sacred scriptures of Judaism, Islam and Christianity, God is conceived and described as being a personal creator, speaking in the first person and showing emotion such as anger and pride, and sometimes appearing in anthropomorphic shape.[1] In the Pentateuch, for example, God talks and instructs his prophets and is conceived as possessing volition, emotions (such as anger, grief and jealousy), intention, and other attributes characteristic of a human person.
Personal relationships with God may be described in the same ways as human relationships, such as a Father, as in Christianity, or a Friend as in Sufism.[2]
Hindu Concept of God
God is Formless or with Form ?
For Hindus God, as is, is beyond any attributes of form, color, shapes ... That is, God does not have any specific form or name. In this state God is referred to as nirguNa brahman (attributeless god). However God takes forms as perceived by humans and this perceived form is called saguNa brahman (god with (good) attributes). These forms could range from calm to fierce to yogic (1). Each form has its significance. For example when one is depressed and sees the form of God Strong and Powerful, the seeker feels the moral boost that God would definitely be the support for the right thing. Similarly when in an auspicious ceremony would like the God to be the calm provider of boons. In a spiritually elevated state, the choice would be the yogic form of God. The forms provide a basis for the Hindu worshipper to easily pursue the otherwise incomprehensible Supreme. So Hinduism supports both form as well as formless worship of the God. Whether one worships in saguNa or nirguNa way, it is ultimately the same God.

However God takes forms as perceived by humans and this perceived form is called saguNa brahman (god with (good) attributes)
This above sentence from the last quote makes it very very clear that God is personalized through human perception or else it is a concept that is without attributes.

Love & rgds

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
My concept of god or gods is very personal.

That concept is of very impersonal god or gods.

User Name

My gods are here,
My gods are there.

But my gods do not hear,
And my gods do not care.

We are entirely dependent on nature,
Nature implies everything from a book to a shelf.

So nature is there to nurture,
And nature is dependent on itself.