• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel?

Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel?

• Yes, declawing cats is cruel.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • No, declawing cats is not cruel.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I am neutral on the issue.

• I have a different opinion.

• Total voters

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That said, I have heard that spaying a female cats prevents certain cancers.

It does, as it does for dogs. Without the hormone estrogen being produced by the ovaries, mammary and uterine cancers (well, there is no longer a uterus) are greatly reduced.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Like Q said, any surgery performed on an animal that is not done for the animal's health is cruelty.

Well, that's not quite what I said, so let me clarify. The surgeries themselves are not cruel at all, given they are performed under anesthesia. And, if proper post-surgical care is given, I don't see it as necessarily cruel either. Proper post-surgical care is not necessarily administered, however. In general, I think "cruel" is probably too strong of a word for what is going on here. When I think of non-human animal cruelty, I think of... things that I will not give any more power to by putting words to it. Use your imagination.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not entirely neutral because I've had cats declawed in the past with no ill effects to them, but now I do think that non-health surgery is unnecessary. Spaying and neutering is a completely different issue I am completely in favor of. However, the cat I have now, I opted not to have declawed even though he is an indoor cat. The only problem is that he hasn't learned when to use his claws and not, when playing. We don't have a scratching problem because he loves his scratching post. As he's grown, he out grew his first scratching post (sisal wrapped wood). He couldn't stand up all the way, because it was too short. I got him a new one that is almost 4' high, with a sturdy base I put 10 lb weights on anyway. He loves it and has not scratched anywhere in the house... ever.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Illegal here in the UK, the animal rights and laws are more strict.

I'm neutral about it, but I don't see it as important as neutering. It's not only beneficial for the (slaves) humans but also for the animal. It prevents a lot of things, disease, frustration and more. Most people here let their cats go outside so claws are kind of needed.

There's some training involved to keep a cat from clawing and also, you need to keep them happy. Sometimes they claw or spray out of boredom or frustration.

ZooGirl02

Illegal here in the UK, the animal rights and laws are more strict.

I'm neutral about it, but I don't see it as important as neutering. It's not only beneficial for the (slaves) humans but also for the animal. It prevents a lot of things, disease, frustration and more. Most people here let their cats go outside so claws are kind of needed.

There's some training involved to keep a cat from clawing and also, you need to keep them happy. Sometimes they claw or spray out of boredom or frustration.

I wish that the United States had more strict laws like the UK.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Oh man don't get me started. I abhor the fact that some people eat cats. I admit it is purely an emotional reaction which is not based upon logic and rationality but that's just the way I am. :eek:

I hate the idea that people eat dogs, considering that they can be loyal, affectionate, protective, obedient companions. It would make me sick to betray that.

Straw Dog

Hey ZooGirl,

Hey everyone. Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel? I personally feel that it is cruel no matter how it is done or at what age it is done.I am creating a poll for the purposes of this thread. Please vote.

I do view the practice of declawing as misguided and cruel to an extent. In general, it tends to be a stressful experience for our feline companions. It also deprives them of what little defense they have. I understand that some cats are more prone to aggression than others, but altering our degree of tolerance results in less anxiety all around. Sure, getting scratched up by a cat may be a little painful, but that doesn't mean we have to make a big deal about it.

Draka

Wonder Woman
None of my cats are declawed, but I don't know if I view it as necessarily "cruel" though. Saving on floor and furniture isn't the only reason to have it done (though can I say I've gone through several couches and a few box springs). My male cat might actually have been better off if he were declawed. I have to regularly clip his claws because they, for some reason, grow VERY hooked. We're talking sharp little fish hooks here. The poor boy gets stuck in carpet, furniture, clothing, (yes, skin too). You can see him snag and get caught and yank and yank and yank trying to dislodge himself. You know that's got to hurt (I have to gently pry him out of so many things only to get the clippers and start clipping away). I don't know why his claws grow like that, but it would almost be a relief to not have them at all, it's not like he needs them.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I'm concerned, declawing cats is among the cruelest things you can do to one.

Me Myself

Back to my username
For what I read from the links, its seems kinda cruel yeah.

But honestly, we do far worst.

Hamburgers tend to be many times more cruel than declawing a cat.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'd guess claws only over grow if the cat can't keep them in trim through natural behaviours (likely if kept in doors).

I find it quite distasteful that a surgical procedure is carried out for our convenience. If there are any aspects of a species behaviour that is not deemed OK then don't have one as a pet.

My dog barks too early in the morning so I had it surgically fixed.

My husband's feet smell after exercise so I

ZooGirl02

I hate the idea that people eat dogs, considering that they can be loyal, affectionate, protective, obedient companions. It would make me sick to betray that.

Yeah I don't like the idea of people eating dogs either and I am definitely not much of a dog person. I do like some smaller dogs but most dogs I do not like at all. I mean, they bark and some of them have the most annoying barks. They also have a tendency to go to the restroom wherever it is most convenient for them unless they are trained to go outside and even then they will sometimes go on the floor. In addition to this they will jump on you and some of them can knock you over because they are so big.

Cats, on the other hand, are nowhere near as loud as dogs. They can very easily be trained to use a litter box. Most of the time all you have to do is show them the litter box and they'll automatically use it from that point on. They are small enough that they couldn't possibly knock you down if they jumped on you. Most of them are very friendly and just about every cat I have ever known is very soft. Plus, they are quite independent which means they don't need nearly as much attention as dogs.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'd guess claws only over grow if the cat can't keep them in trim through natural behaviours (likely if kept in doors).

I find it quite distasteful that a surgical procedure is carried out for our convenience. If there are any aspects of a species behaviour that is not deemed OK then don't have one as a pet.

My dog barks too early in the morning so I had it surgically fixed.

My husband's feet smell after exercise so I

Well, with my male cat, his don't "over-grow" really, it's just really how extremely hooked and sharp they are. I've had many cats, 3 currently, I've never declawed any cats, and I've never seen any cat except him that had claws grow like his do. He's 14 and always had this issue. This subject just made me kind of ponder if, with his constant painful yanking and such (I've actually seen him dangle from one claw from the back of a chair because he was caught in it :eek: ) if he actually wouldn't have done better declawed simply for the fact of the way his claws grow. If he was an outdoor cat and didn't have to worry about getting caught in things like fabrics and such it might not have been an issue, but I've pulled him loose from things his whole life and proceeded to clip his claws. I try to remember to do it on a regular basis, but I swear they grow fast. He's quite use to, and I believe thankful for, the clippings. He lays on his back on my lap, legs stretched out, and just lets me clip with no fight at all. In fact, he purrs while I do it. :)

ZooGirl02

Well, with my male cat, his don't "over-grow" really, it's just really how extremely hooked and sharp they are. I've had many cats, 3 currently, I've never declawed any cats, and I've never seen any cat except him that had claws grow like his do. He's 14 and always had this issue. This subject just made me kind of ponder if, with his constant painful yanking and such (I've actually seen him dangle from one claw from the back of a chair because he was caught in it :eek: ) if he actually wouldn't have done better declawed simply for the fact of the way his claws grow. If he was an outdoor cat and didn't have to worry about getting caught in things like fabrics and such it might not have been an issue, but I've pulled him loose from things his whole life and proceeded to clip his claws. I try to remember to do it on a regular basis, but I swear they grow fast. He's quite use to, and I believe thankful for, the clippings. He lays on his back on my lap, legs stretched out, and just lets me clip with no fight at all. In fact, he purrs while I do it. :)

I think perhaps that for some cats like your cat, declawing might be a humane thing. Or perhaps trimming his claws on a regular basis would be the better thing to do.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I think perhaps that for some cats like your cat, declawing might be a humane thing. Or perhaps trimming his claws on a regular basis would be the better thing to do.

Like I said, I try to remember to clip them regularly. But I will sometimes lose track of when I last did it or I will see him snag on the couch or in the carpet or something and that's when I gather him up to do it then. I just kind of wonder what the pain trade off would have been you know? If he had been declawed when he was little and had to deal with the pain for a while after the surgery vs 14 years of constant pulling on his toes and yanking at his joints trying to break free from something.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The surgery itself is like any other surgery, some pre-op pain, no surgical pain, some post-op pain.

Declawed cats generally do fine indoors, though a few, rarely, exhibit symptoms of trauma or psychological sequelae.

Indoor cats often end up outdoor cats. Claws are necessary for outdoor cats.

Sometimes it comes down to declaw or euthanize. In such cases I'd opt for declaw.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Yes, I really think it is cruel. And quite stupid. And not good for the wellness of the cat. I mean, everything in a being is useful and contribute to his balance, what right do people have to decide what is important/not important in a being ?
Hell, people that do that should remove the theeth of their dogs so they don't bite. They should also cut the tail of their cats too, after all the cat don't need much balance if he live inside ! Oh, and the baby yes: let's chirurgically close his troat, so he don't barf everywhere. 'cause it's annoying and a baby need to be clean inside a house !

ZooGirl02

Vanakkam,

Yes, I really think it is cruel. And quite stupid. And not good for the wellness of the cat. I mean, everything in a being is useful and contribute to his balance, what right do people have to decide what is important/not important in a being ?
Hell, people that do that should remove the theeth of their dogs so they don't bite. They should also cut the tail of their cats too, after all the cat don't need much balance if he live inside ! Oh, and the baby yes: let's chirurgically close his troat, so he don't barf everywhere. 'cause it's annoying and a baby need to be clean inside a house !

Well, what do you think about vestigial organs? There are some organs which some animals, including humans, have that scientists have not found a purpose for. I think our appendix is one of those organs.

apophenia

Yeah it must be. I mean they howl and go nuts! I remember when Precious was in heat. She seemed like she was miserable. Poor thing. So I would honestly think that spaying a female cat is best for them.

So do many humans. :D I don't think anyone is considering desexing women who scream. :eek:

On a related tangent to declawing - When cats age, they cannot retract their claws. This becomes a real problem to them, especially if they live in a home with carpet (most homes).

It is appreciated by older cats if you clip their claws - but you have to know what you are doing, and not cut to the quick (which is visible in white claws if you shine a bright light through them).

Talk to a vet and find out how to do it properly.