• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel?

Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel?

• Yes, declawing cats is cruel.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • No, declawing cats is not cruel.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I am neutral on the issue.

• I have a different opinion.

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Magog said:
You need different meds, brick.
That degenerated into humor, but no I think you are overlooking the plight of pets. You're a nice guy to your adopted cat family, but not everyone is. I think DE-clawing cats is not very nice, but its just par for the course for pets.

On the whole I still think that 'Having pets' is good for people but not so good for the pets. Consider the way that dogs are bred into little brainless barkers that can hardly breath. Humans thought that was a cool idea. We've tried doing that to cats but the worst we've been able to do is to make cats with asthma and with floppy non-directional hearing ears. We've made naked cats using radiation, extremely furry cats, cats with eyes that bulge from their heads and just about any kind of cat we could think of. Its sick, truly sick; and awareness of the evil of DE-clawing is only scratching the surface.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Oh well, if I've got to be serious...

I agree with you. Comparative to breeding such poor creatures and all the overt abuse and neglect, declawing is rather peripheral. But I would maintain two wrongs do not make a right. It is all symptomatic of the arrogance and ethical poverty of the bipeds, imho.

ZooGirl02

Euthanasia because of cats daring to have claws? What selfless animal lovers. Another solution would be euthanasia for the owners.

I am basing what I am saying here on the assumption that you believe euthanizing cats because of problems arising from cats having claws such as cats scratching furniture or people is wrong. If I am incorrect on that assumption, please let me know.

So anyway, based on that assumption I would completely agree with you that in my opinion, euthanizing a cat because of problems arising from their claws such as scratched up furniture or people is wrong. I believe it is unnecessary and even cruel to euthanize a cat for doing something that is perfectly natural to them. A cat scratching furniture is only doing what is natural for them to do. They do it to keep their claws in good health and also as a way to mark territory. As for cats scratching people, they may do so as a result of playing or out of self-defense. But anyway, I got off topic there. It would be wrong, in my opinion, to euthanize a cat for reasons like that.

In my opinion, if the situation got to the point where you were considering euthanizing your cat for such problems then that person should try other solutions such as a scratching post and training the cat to use it if furniture is being scratched up. As for the cat scratching people then perhaps a little training is in order. If neither of those solutions work or are not feasible for some reason or another then the person should consider selling the cat or putting the cat up for adoption in my opinion. Basically, I personally do not feel it is justified to euthanize a cat for the reasons I discussed in this post. In my opinion, about the only justifiable reason to euthanize a cat is if the cat's health is so severe that the cat is suffering so much that euthanizing it would be the merciful thing to do.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I believe is HIGHLY unfair and cruel in many cases.

It would have to be an EXTREME case of necessity to save a cat (realistically ) I would declaw a cat reluctantly. I have declawed cats in ignorance and selfishness.I believe (am sure) one of my cats is dead from declawing.Moon.he wanted outside still I let him.He was "eaten" by coyotes" .He never had a chance with no claws.I mutuated him.

Its almost like asking is it "cruel to cut half my fingers off"????

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh and news flash! cats (and dog) are euthenized because NO ONE WANTS THEM/We cant afford them and on and on ..

Hundreds of animals a day are put to death EVERY day..For no other reason than no one can feed them.

Deva758

Cats like to use their claws. Hence the problem. Some learn to use scratching posts and that's great, but some, like my cat, don't like them. The arm of my couch is in shreds but would I declaw my cat? Absolutely not. It doesn't matter to me that the operation itself is painless, the recovery period would not be. It would be like having the first joints of your fingers all amputated. Would you not feel the effects afterward?

No way I could do it. Not just so my furniture is intact.