• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel?

Do you believe that declawing cats is cruel?

• Yes, declawing cats is cruel.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • No, declawing cats is not cruel.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I am neutral on the issue.

• I have a different opinion.

• Total voters

apophenia

Female genital mutilation has been practiced for millennia!

{Sometimes I'm ashamed to be human.} :eek:

Yes, awful and true.

Being human is not your 'fault'. You are not the actions of others. These ideas are a kind of drama best not engaged in IMO.

Shanti

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On a related tangent to declawing - When cats age, they cannot retract their claws. This becomes a real problem to them, especially if they live in a home with carpet (most homes).
Any links for this?
I've worked with cats for years. I have half a dozen 10+ year old cats in my house right now, and two days ago was interacting with two nineteen y/o cats. I haven't noticed this phenomenon.

It is appreciated by older cats if you clip their claws - but you have to know what you are doing, and not cut to the quick (which is visible in white claws if you shine a bright light through them).
Clipping claws of indoor cats is a good thing, but "appreciated" -- I don't think so. Not from the cat's point of view...:rolleyes:

Horrorble

I voted cruel, why would you declaw a cat? They need their claws for climbing so they can get exercise, even if it's an indoor cat. Also it's better it get a light scratch than bitten.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Heck yes it's cruel. If you're not careful the little monster could wiggle loose and bite you.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do believe that breeding an animal for domestic use and removing parts of its fingers for convenience is generally a cruel practice in most cases.

Most owners do want their cats to be happy though, so I don't think most people view it as a cruel or intend to be cruel.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yet we get cats surrendered for euthanasia all the time for scratching problems.
Sometimes declaw is the best of bad alternatives.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Clipping claws of indoor cats is a good thing, but "appreciated" -- I don't think so. Not from the cat's point of view...:rolleyes:
You haven't met my furry boy. He purrs through his pedicures and has been known to nuzzle me too. He will curl up on my lap and snuggle when done. :p

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yet we get cats surrendered for euthanasia all the time for scratching problems.
Sometimes declaw is the best of bad alternatives.

Euthanasia because of cats daring to have claws? What selfless animal lovers. Another solution would be euthanasia for the owners.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
De-clawing a cat is far less a disturbance than the owning of it. That isn't to say that I don't like pets. I like them, and sometimes pets are a good idea for us. They are good for us. Let us not deceive ourselves into thinking that it is natural for them or what is best for them. Pets are not natural. Playful, childish dogs are not natural, and tiny helpless cats are not natural.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
De-clawing a cat is far less a disturbance than the owning of it. That isn't to say that I don't like pets. I like them, and sometimes pets are a good idea for us. They are good for us. Let us not deceive ourselves into thinking that it is natural for them or what is best for them. Pets are not natural. Playful, childish dogs are not natural, and tiny helpless cats are not natural.
Silly Brick, you don't own cats--cats own you! :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The domestication of the cat could only be successful as it was overall beneficial for both species; control of vermin and easy regular food and shelter.

A cat that is not happy will up sticks and leave, if it is able to. This is well known. Two of our four cats are examples of this occuring.

Sea Monkey

Pickle Juicer!
I have a different opinion. I believe it is not cruel when the cat is a in-door's cat and does not need to defend itself outside. It is cruel though when the cat is a out-door's cat. That is my opinion. I never had any of my cat's declawed I alway's thought it would hurt them too much. I am a friend of animal's btw.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The term is a misleading euphemism. It is amputation. It is cosmetic mutilation. From Wikipedia:
Onychectomy, popularly known as declawing, is an operation to surgically remove an animal's claws by means of the amputation of all or part of the distal phalanges, or end bones, of the animal's toes. Because the claw develops from germinal tissue within the third phalanx, amputation of the bone is necessary to remove the claw. The terms "onychectomy" (origin: Greek νυξ onycho, nail + κτομή ektome, excision) and "declawing" imply mere claw removal, but a more appropriate description would be phalangectomy, [1]

excision of toe bone.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like to think I helped get a mall pet store closed down (I was among a number of people who made complaints against the store), and the animals rescued and relocated to the county SPCA that took over the location. Revealing that just lost me some karma points, but what the hell. NJ SPCAs are no-kill shelters and do their utmost to adopt out.

Sea Monkey

Pickle Juicer!
I like to think I helped get a mall pet store closed down (I was among a number of people who made complaints against the store), and the animals rescued and relocated to the county SPCA that took over the location. Revealing that just lost me some karma points, but what the hell. NJ SPCAs are no-kill shelters and do their utmost to adopt out.

Kill Shelters are a depressing thing. I hope they all get shut down one day. I am sort of a animal right's activist.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Crossfire said:
Silly Brick, you don't own cats--cats own you! :D
Cats think of it as adoption, but yeah you're right. I bought a leash for a cat once, but we could not come to an agreement over who should be at which end.
SMagog said:
The domestication of the cat could only be successful as it was overall beneficial for both species; control of vermin and easy regular food and shelter.
So there is a contract between humanity and cats? It seems a bit one-sided, but I guess they do owe us for occasionally eating us.
A cat that is not happy will up sticks and leave, if it is able to. This is well known. Two of our four cats are examples of this occuring.
It is even documented scientifically that house-cats can change 'Owners' every five minutes. It doesn't mean that cats are happy with being small. Even so, the smaller the cat the more times it gets to eat and the less likely it is to eat me.