• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe God’s word or man’s?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you really wanted to follow Christ you would believe Him. It doesn't sound like you believe Him very much. What do you believe about Him?

I say go to christ first because that is how I knew christ, directly through his spirit. The bible tells me "about" him but if I want to know him, I go beyond scripture--I would not use it as if it contains eternal life. It testifies jesus not itself.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The question in the OP boils down to this.

Was the earth created as in Genesis?

Or through the processes of physics?

Is life on earth the result of a Genesis creation?

Or as the result of evolution?

These are questions of fact about reality. All the propositions are expressed in a falsifiable form.

To find out about reality, you go and examine reality and reason honestly from the evidence.

Any conclusion contrary to the evidence of reality would result in an inaccurate statement about reality ─ an error, or worse, a pretense.

Whether for a believer or a non-believer ─ it would make no difference.

Grumpuss

He did not say this, I did.

Read our conversation. I told him that he is not going straight to christ but through the people above. Please read 122.

I dont put words in people's mouths.
Are you sure? Sounds like you're trying to define David's own relationship with God. I just don't know why.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What constitutes valid critiquing tools when studying Tanach is different for you, Christians, and Jews. "This verse in Genesis means X because the NT says Y". "This verse in Genesis means X because society then only knew Y". What we all believe to be true is different.
You were the one who brought up what is "reasonable." It's revisionism to infer the intention behind an ancient text based on what we think is reasonable today. What matters is the frame of mind of the people at the time.

And even if we assume for argument's sake that the text was inspired by an all-knowing God, it was still given to an ancient people, so we can infer it was intended to be interpreted by someone with that level of understanding, who wouldn't necessarily dismiss things as implausible that we would dismiss as implausible today.

We've already had this discussion, where you discount the Talmud's interpretation because its was written much later than the Torah.
That's not the discussion I'm having, so if you're having it, you're having it with yourself.

But that's how it is, we believe they were given together.
That's great, but it's not what I was getting at.

I know full well that your interpretation of Genesis's "6 days" will be through the lens of the Oral Torah and possibly Midrash. What I was trying to find out if your interpretation of the 6 days as not 6 literal days is based on one of those other traditional Jewish sources.

... or do the traditional sources suggest a literal interpretation?

PureX

Veteran Member
Paul seemed to think the OT writings were important, don’t you think? What writings did Jesus and the apostles use in their teachings? How many times did they quote the OT writings verbatim?

For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4, NASB95)
Jesus was a Jew talking and preaching almost exclusively to other Jews. So of course he used Judaic religious references with them. But he was not talking to us, non-Jews, two thousand years in his future. He was not suggesting that we become Jews, or that we follow ancient Judaic religious ideology and traditions. And I can think of no logical reason to do so, except the false presumption of "divine authority" that modern Christians love to don and use against everyone else.

And Paul is an early religionist. His ideas are biased by his own religious perspective. Paul never met Jesus, never heard Jesus speak, and had no more idea what Jesus was thinking than you or I. And I'm not interested in Paul's religious pronouncements, or in anyone else's. I don't need other people's religion in my life.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When Christians or any religious follower is confronted with evidence that contradicts their belief, they then have in my opinion 3 options. First, deny that the evidence is true and must somehow be wrong. Second, accept the evidence and accept the idea that God gave man a story he could understand at the time to teach lessons of morality even if not completely true. Third, accept the evidence and reject your previous belief that what you were reading was the word of God.
There are other options besides these, such as understanding that scripture is an expression of the human spirit in search of God, and that's its language is "as if" language, that "as if" God were saying this to man; a metaphor in other words, how they modeled reality at the time. Even if in their beliefs at the time they genuinely believed it was 'factually' so, how it functioned was just that, inspiration that 'brought God to earth" for them, so to speak. Understanding this today in light of the study of the humanities in anthropology, mythology, sociology, and so forth allows us to better contextualize its origins and its nature, thus removing superimposed modern mythologies, such as the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, which cannot stand up to critical scrutiny. In this sense, meaning is allowed to be liberated from the symbol, which the myth of inerrancy amounts to, and to be enjoyed in a fuller, more inclusive context that acknowledges the validity of other faith claims.

There are of course other ways modern Christians grapple with these questions brought to bear for them in the light of modernity, other than burying of the head in the sands of denialism, such as gives birth to fundamentalist strains of the religion.

I find most Christians go with the second option because they believe the bibles true purpose is to inform man on how to live life not on how life was made.
I tend to see most doing things along the lines of still trying to make it 'fit' into the modern myth of inerrancy, which stands as a sort of invisible backdrop in their thinking, not readily examined head on, as it functions somewhat foundationally for them because of how it has been presented by the purveyors of the modern myth. This is whom the OP is going after, trying to prove "a day" is a literal 24 hour day, and thus throwing his support behind Bishop Usher's 17th century dating of the earth (this is how Christians came up with a highly inaccurate 6000 year age of the earth, based on Usher's splicing together the genealogies of the Bible, which is of course a flawed and ridiculous approach in light of the tools of the modern sciences). So the challenge is to say "no a day is not an epoch, but a literal 24 hour period, thus making Usher right." Both of these are flawed, but the latter is far more in denial than the former which is in the process of breaking away from the weak idea of inerrancy as fact.

But beyond this, most mainline traditionalist Christians don't really have a dog in that fight. They just find the stories to be meaningful and don't really examine it at that frankly modern level. If asked, "Did Jesus really walk on water," they might respond, well, maybe, but that's not the meaning of it to me." This whole business of the OP seems to be getting back to the "fundamentals" but it is in fact not at all! It's thoroughly modernistic in nature, just horribly inadequate at that level.

Here's a great quote to share from an essay by Conrad Hyers who is a professor of comparative mythology at a University near where I live.

"One of the ironies of biblical literalism is that it shares so largely in the reductionist and literalist spirit of the age. It is not nearly as conservative as it supposes. It is modernistic, and it sells its symbolic birthright for a mess of tangible pottage. Biblical materials and affirmations -- in this case the symbolism of Creator and creation – are treated as though of the same order and the same literary genre as scientific and historical writing. “I believe in God the Father Almighty” becomes a chronological issue, and “Maker of heaven and earth” a technological problem."​

I don't think I could say it better than this. This is not conservative truth, it is reactionary, trying to use the tools of modernity to hang on to the myths of the past as if they are the sole and only source of finding truth and meaning about God. It is the opposite of faith, IMO. It runs and hides from faith being purified in the fires of sensible knowledge.

The formation of the universe and evolution of life are very complex subjects and would be impossible even for god to describe to people 2,000 or more years ago.
Or, not be in the minds of the authors of Genesis at the time they shared their perspectives of life and reality, touching on the existential questions of being and the struggle of life, the nature of suffering, and so forth. The stories are simply vehicles that carry their thoughts about these things. It's NOT about teaching science and history! :)

shmogie

1) This is intended for those who say they are Christians [one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ] but try to explain away the creation version in Genesis using “interpretation” and/or “translation” issues in order to reconcile with non-believers.

2) The issue of a normal 24 hour day as opposed to a period of time.

God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.” (Genesis 1:5, NASB95)

3) Every place in Genesis with the subject of creation uses the noun, common, singular, absolute of “yom”. Whereas, when used as a time other than evening and morning, it is not NC-SA. As an example…
View attachment 18516 View attachment 18517

4) Notice the Morphology changes from noun, common, singular, absolute to noun, common, masculine, plural, construct. Are the Hebraist contending there is not a difference in meaning?

5) In addition, I find the following chart interesting.
View attachment 18518

“Yom NC-SA - day (sunset) n. — a unit of time from sunset until the next sunset; including evening and morning.”

6) When taken in like context with other scriptures, “yom” NC-SA is used 1292 times, whereas, when used as meaning something other than evening and morning, a different morphology is used, at least from what I have been able to find.

7) Graphs and quotes are from…

Faithlife Corporation. (2017). day (sunset) (Version 6.14 SR-5) [Computer software]. Logos Bible Software Bible Sense Lexicon. Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation. Retrieved from https://ref.ly/logos4/Senses;KeyId=ws.day.n.01

[God's word - writings in the Judeo-Christian Scriptures that were inspired by God....Man's word - claims and writings by man that were not inspired by God]
When I read your post, where you specifically mentioned that it was for Christians only I couldn;t help but think that the atheists who infest the RELIGIOUS FORUM would be drawn to it like flies to road kill. They have no intention of letting Believers simply discuss a theological concept. Their goal always is to, sometimes in the most sarcastic and demeaning words, inject their system of belief, their faith, into the discussion. Why ? Because their philosophy to attack and ultimately destroy religious belief. Of course, they won't, they can't, but they can be as annoying as a swarm of mosquito's. I see they have stumbled over themselves to jump into the discussion "for Christians ".

shmogie

1) This is intended for those who say they are Christians [one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ] but try to explain away the creation version in Genesis using “interpretation” and/or “translation” issues in order to reconcile with non-believers.

2) The issue of a normal 24 hour day as opposed to a period of time.

God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.” (Genesis 1:5, NASB95)

3) Every place in Genesis with the subject of creation uses the noun, common, singular, absolute of “yom”. Whereas, when used as a time other than evening and morning, it is not NC-SA. As an example…
View attachment 18516 View attachment 18517

4) Notice the Morphology changes from noun, common, singular, absolute to noun, common, masculine, plural, construct. Are the Hebraist contending there is not a difference in meaning?

5) In addition, I find the following chart interesting.
View attachment 18518

“Yom NC-SA - day (sunset) n. — a unit of time from sunset until the next sunset; including evening and morning.”

6) When taken in like context with other scriptures, “yom” NC-SA is used 1292 times, whereas, when used as meaning something other than evening and morning, a different morphology is used, at least from what I have been able to find.

7) Graphs and quotes are from…

Faithlife Corporation. (2017). day (sunset) (Version 6.14 SR-5) [Computer software]. Logos Bible Software Bible Sense Lexicon. Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation. Retrieved from https://ref.ly/logos4/Senses;KeyId=ws.day.n.01

[God's word - writings in the Judeo-Christian Scriptures that were inspired by God....Man's word - claims and writings by man that were not inspired by God]
It is clear that time is a RELATIVE concept. It can slow down, virtually stop, and speed up. Certainly God, since he created time, can manipulate it. Therefore there is no particular reason to believe that God is bound by our sense of time, and our concept of the hours in a 24 hour "day"

shmogie

My standard response, even though I fail to see how your post is relevant to the OP, I will answer every question you may ask me with plausible, verifiable answers, IF, you will agree to do the same. If not, then you have opinions that I disagree with, fair?
Atheists have no evidence, NONE, to support their fallacy that the universe created itself, yet they believe it by faith. They cannot explain abiogenisis ( though they believe a plethora of experiments that do not explain it, do, purely by faith). Nevertheless, they will never stop their incessant spewing of the same nonsense.

shmogie

Treating man-made religious texts as "God's words" is idolatry. It's no different than treating man-made (sculpted) religious idols as though they possess divine powers. The Bible does not claim to have been written by God. The Bible does not proclaim itself to have been dictated by God, nor does it claim to be "inerrant". The substitution of the term "word" in the Bible replaces the ancient Greek word "logos", which did not ever refer to a divinely authoritative text. In fact, it never referred to text at all. It referred to a kind of divine idealized 'blueprint' through which material existence manifests. Nor does the use of the term "divinely inspired" imply that the Bible is the result of divine dictation. Many human endeavors can be considered "divinely inspired" but that has never rendered them "inerrant", or unquestionable, of absolutely authoritative.

The literalist's claims that the Bible contains "God's words" is not even a valid claim according to the Bible, itself. Nor is it a claim validated by any other means.
Simply put, BULL. What Christian really cares about your opinion, it is pure pap. This thread isn';t for you, why bother.,

shmogie

What facts? Abiogenesis, macroevolution, old Earth theories are not facts.
David, how DARE you question the faith of our non believing friends ? It's not supposed to work that way. They are to pontificate and pimp their myths, and you are to be overwhelmed by their great gods, atheism and science.You are to acknowledge their intellectual superiority and not even consider that they might be wrong. Whew, as I said, how dare you ?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Once again, I think you're presuming quite a lot. I think David's pretty upset. Why don't you ask him?

My question was do you go straight to christ or the bible first?

That, and I explained:

The bible are words

Christ is the Word

The Word is the message (of sacrifice)

The message is from god/creator

If I'm wrong, let me know.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Simply put, BULL. What Christian really cares about your opinion, it is pure pap. This thread isn';t for you, why bother.,
I care about what he says. It sounds a lot like what I am saying, speaking from much more modern, postmodern, and post-postmodern Christian perspectives.

And BTW, if you look at PureX's religious views on his profile, you'll see he lists Christian as part of that. So, I'd like to ask, "Who are to judge another man's servant"? (Romans 14:4) Who put you in the position of Grand Inquisitor of other Christians in how they hold and express their views? Is that a biblically supported role you have assumed for yourself which overrides Jesus' injunction to judge not, or is this you acting outside the faith you profess, hypocritically?

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
David, how DARE you question the faith of our non believing friends ?
His response was to me. Are you saying I'm a "non-believer"? Why? Because I don't accept the way you think about these things, as if they are somehow reflective of the measure of truth? ;)

It's not supposed to work that way. They are to pontificate and pimp their myths, and you are to be overwhelmed by their great gods, atheism and science.
One could say, your gestures of ignorance are meant to impress your fundamentalist pals.

You are to acknowledge their intellectual superiority and not even consider that they might be wrong. Whew, as I said, how dare you ?
If you had an opened mind, you might not be pimping the myths you've been sold. There are other perspectives Christians hold that don't agree with yours. To mock and deride other understandings than those of your own group to me shows a great deal of weakness in your faith, as well as immaturity.

DavidFirth

David, how DARE you question the faith of our non believing friends ? It's not supposed to work that way. They are to pontificate and pimp their myths, and you are to be overwhelmed by their great gods, atheism and science.You are to acknowledge their intellectual superiority and not even consider that they might be wrong. Whew, as I said, how dare you ?

Really. How dare I question the great and all-knowing atheist Ph.D.'s? I must be an idiot not to believe these great men who change their theories and ideas around all the time.

shmogie

His response was to me. Are you saying I'm a "non-believer"? Why? Because I don't accept the way you think about these things, as if they are somehow reflective of the measure of truth? ;)

One could say, your gestures of ignorance are meant to impress your fundamentalist pals.

If you had an opened mind, you might not be pimping the myths you've been sold. There are other perspectives Christians hold that don't agree with yours. To mock and deride other understandings than those of your own group to me shows a great deal of weakness in your faith, as well as immaturity.
ZZzzzzzzzzzz

Grumpuss

My question was do you go straight to christ or the bible first?

That, and I explained:

The bible are words

Christ is the Word

The Word is the message (of sacrifice)

The message is from god/creator

If I'm wrong, let me know.
Forgive me, but yes- you're wrong. God didn't write the Bible. I'd be shocked if you could find anyone approaching "sane" who believes such a thing. It's a bunch of words. Proverbs, homilies, history and allegorical tradition rolled into what has become a holy scripture. People who paint all Christians as Biblical literalists are dangerous and incendiary.

Again: Jesus, or Jesus/God are a direct line. If some individual wants to reference a lesson from Timothy or wants to drop a prayer to St. Christopher, that's his business. 99.99% of the rest of Christians don't subscribe to that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Forgive me, but yes- you're wrong. God didn't write the Bible. I'd be shocked if you could find anyone approaching "sane" who believes such a thing. It's a bunch of words. Proverbs, homilies, history and allegorical tradition rolled into what has become a holy scripture. People who paint all Christians as Biblical literalists are dangerous and incendiary.

Where did I say god wrote the bible?

It says in the other post that god blowed his spirit of inspiration onto the people who wrote the bible.

It's written by men inspired by god. Where did you get that from?

Again: Jesus, or Jesus/God are a direct line. If some individual wants to reference a lesson from Timothy or wants to drop a prayer to St. Christopher, that's his business. 99.99% of the rest of Christians don't subscribe to that.

If you want to know about the creator, read the old testament
If you want to know about christ, read the new testament.

If you want to talk to the creator, go through Christ only.

How? Talk to christ himself not to the bible.

How is that wrong?

How is christ the bible?

Last edited: