• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Really Need This Kind of Bigotry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantech

And why should there be any objection to the marriage in question then since both are Muslims? That must mean it is not an intermarriage.

Quitting Judaism (the religion) is more difficult than just "Bye bye, I'm marrying a Muslim!". Or at least, it is in the eyes of Jews.
How Does One Quit Judaism? - Questions & Answers

Is a Jew Who Converts Still Jewish? - Questions & Answers

These people protesting, whom I don't agree with their actions, believe that regardless of what this woman thinks she is, she's actually still Jewish. I believe this too, and I think Levite believes it too, which is what lead him to call this an intermarriage. Once Jewish, always Jewish, but only according to Judaism (maybe not Reform Judaism, I'm not sure.)

CynthiaCypher

Quitting Judaism (the religion) is more difficult than just "Bye bye, I'm marrying a Muslim!". Or at least, it is in the eyes of Jews.
How Does One Quit Judaism? - Questions & Answers

Is a Jew Who Converts Still Jewish? - Questions & Answers

These people protesting, whom I don't agree with their actions, believe that regardless of what this woman thinks she is, she's actually still Jewish. I believe this too, and I think Levite believes it too, which is what lead him to call this an intermarriage. Once Jewish, always Jewish, but only according to Judaism (maybe not Reform Judaism, I'm not sure.)

So it's about ethnicity?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
For the love of all the gods ever conceived by human imagination, can an "r" be added to the last term in the thread's title ? Please ? Pretty please ?

dantech

Tis opposition to intermarriage for religious/cultural/racial purity, despite the wishes of the parties in love.

Even if this were the case, it still wouldn't be bigotry.

Jayhawker Soule said:
bigotry
Bigotry is a state of mind where a person views other groups with fear, distrust, prejudice or hatred solely on the basis of ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other group characteristics.
prejudice
Prejudice is prejudgment, or forming an opinion before becoming aware of the relevant facts of a case. The word is often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavorable, judgments toward people or a person because of gender, political opinion, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, language, nationality or other personal characteristics. In this case, it refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on their perceived group membership. Prejudice can also refer to unfounded beliefs and may include "any unreasonable attitude that is unusually resistant to rational influence". Gordon Allport defined prejudice as a "feeling, favorable or unfavorable, toward a person or thing, prior to, or not based on, actual experience".

We're not against intermarriage because we fear, hate, distrust or are prejudiced against against members of other religions.

CynthiaCypher

Even if this were the case, it still wouldn't be bigotry.

We're not against intermarriage because we fear, hate, distrust or are prejudiced against against members of other religions.

bigotry also mean to discriminate on the basis of race or religion. And that's whats going on. Discrimination.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I sometimes get the impression that there exists on the part of some a hypocritical commitment to protecting minority culture so long as that cuture is not Jewish.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Hey, I know the answer to this one!

It is about having been raised as a member of the Jewish People, or else voluntarily earned one's own place among them despite that.

I have learned to think of them as an extended family of unusually big size.

Levite's opposition to mixed marriages is not racist, or at least I do not perceive it as such. He seems to be very willing to accept people of any background or ethnic origin into the ranks of those he calls faith brothers... as long as they convert into Judaism.

Having been on occasion expected to act and speak as if I were a believer in faiths I never dreamed of joining, I can't help but approve.

Besides, and this is a very significant fact, for all that he is indeed fiercely opposed to mixed marriages (defined as those between a member of the Jewish People and someone who has not chosen to become one), he does not presume to make them punishable or anything. Ultimately, he just disapproves of them.

That might be tribalist by some understandings of the word, but I can't in good faith call it bigoted or prejudiced, much less racist or hateful.

I know I frubaled you for this, but I wanted publicly say that was awesome.

I know that you personally disagree with most of it, and that you reject many of the ideas of social classification often used. But you've put effort into understanding how another group looks at the world, and, while it isn't your personal view, you don't disparage for it.

And that is truly commendable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I sometimes get the impression that there exists on the part of some a hypocritical commitment to protecting minority culture so long as that cuture is not Jewish.
The flip side is that is some might hypocritically advocate bigotry in the
name of protecting minority culture so long as it isJewish. Of course,
you & I are both examining & opining objectively, rather than hypocritically.

dantech

According to her, she is. And that is what counts. So basically you are saying that Judaism is non-voluntary, that it is a religion that forces a woman to be a Jew against her own expressed will.

So according to her, she should marry that Muslim, and live her life as a Muslim and be happy for the rest of her life, that's all that really matter, isn't it?

Just don't expect Ultra-Orthodox Jews to see her as anything other than a Jew.
Also, I don't know if you were trying to turn this also into a sexism issue by specifying "Forces a woman... against her own expressed will.", but this is the case for men too.

Status
Not open for further replies.