• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Really Need This Kind of Bigotry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flankerl

Isolationism is not a practical foreign policy. Mob rule is not a practical moral policy.

Change through democratic elections equal mob rule. Gotcha.

That in mind we should probably abolish democracy.

If you were required to leave your home to receive basic human rights, you might be slightly more sympathetic to the viewpoint you mock here.

You actually wrote this to a jew. Hilarious.

And never so clearly and unintentionally as right now.

History's pages are filled with people who see viewpoints that differ from theirs as the problem with the world. They use this difference as a counterweight, using the apparent deficiencies in others to exalt themselves as all that is good and right in the world.

This viewpoint is defined as bigotry.

Yes letting each Religion handle their own marriages is bigotry. Especially in a place where tensions along these Religions are high.

Great logic. 10/10

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would you mind sharing your definition of bigotry?
I could post one, but that approach hasn't been well received lately.
I know it when I see it.
Opposition to intermarriage, be it about race, religion, baseball team loyalty, or
ethnicity is bigotry. What got lost in this discussion is that there is a vast continuum
between the extremes of mild advocacy & violent oppression. Does that help?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Wait, isn't this bigotry?

Pigletdisney.jpg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Apparently Jewish people have a special dispensation to do and say bigoted things without being called out for bigotry. Post WWII guilt on the part of the West, perhaps?

And the above is supposedly not bigoted in and of itself?

CynthiaCypher

Have you ever stopped, and wondered why Jews of more traditional background (conservative / Orthodox) are against intermarriage? Is there perhaps a religious aspect to it that has absolutely nothing to do with bigotry?

And why should there be any objection to the marriage in question then since both are Muslims? That must mean it is not an intermarriage.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I could post one, but that approach hasn't been well received lately.

I'm not sure that I understand this, but could you tell me if you find the following adequate?
bigotry
Bigotry is a state of mind where a person views other groups with fear, distrust, prejudice or hatred solely on the basis of ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other group characteristics.​
prejudice
Prejudice is prejudgment, or forming an opinion before becoming aware of the relevant facts of a case. The word is often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavorable, judgments toward people or a person because of gender, political opinion, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, language, nationality or other personal characteristics. In this case, it refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on their perceived group membership. Prejudice can also refer to unfounded beliefs and may include "any unreasonable attitude that is unusually resistant to rational influence". Gordon Allport defined prejudice as a "feeling, favorable or unfavorable, toward a person or thing, prior to, or not based on, actual experience".​
I suggest that none of this even remotely applies to the views of someone like Levite.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure that I understand this, but could you tell me if you find the following adequate?I suggest that none of this even remotely applies to the views of someone like Levite.
I was addressing opposition to intermarriage in general, not a specific poster.
Your definitions look pretty useful. Even though deeply religious folk have their
sincerely felt reasons to oppose intermarriage, I see it as no different from whites
who do the same for racial purity. There will be differences in degree & conduct.
As I said before, the incident cited in the OP illustrates something which is overall
positive about Israel. That ought'a earn me some brownie points.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Both situations are ******* stupid and shameful. Israel needs to fix its completely backwards marriage laws and break the control of the Orthodox rabbis over the institution in Israel. No one should have to leave their country in order to get married! But I won't hold my breath for change in that area since the government of Israel is run by a bunch of warmongering racists.
On that, we can agree.

And what exactly gives you the supposed right to tell people in another country what kind of laws they must have? The above is nothing less than ethnocentrism on steroids.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I was addressing opposition to intermarriage in general, not a specific poster. Your definitions look pretty useful.

So, let's say that, as a Jew, I feel strongly that intermarriage be discouraged because, irrespective of the character or quality of the spouse, all evidence suggests that intermarriage significantly increases the threat of assimilation and the progressive attrition of the Jewish People. How might those definitions apply to me?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bigotry-lite.
You don't seem the type to oppress people, but this ethnic/racial/religious purity stuff is what it is.

Note: I get accused of various types of bigotry all the time here....& much more fervently.
We each believe what we believe, & there will be people who don't like it.
So my opinion (a mild one at that) shouldn't rattle you at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.