• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we Realize Isaiah 13:10 Prophesied Betelgeuse Will go Supernova?

Do you accept Judgement Day is soon?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Other...?

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In Isaiah 13:10 it states that the sun to be darkened is the constellation Orion, which according to mainstream media will soon go supernova; which fits the prophecies where the fire will burn our faces in that day (Isaiah 13:8).

The debate is do we realize we have little time left before Judgement Day, and then after the Messianic Age?

In my opinion. :innocent:

Recent in cosmological terms could be hundreds or thousands of years or more. It may have gone supernova long time ago and the light has not reached us yet.

Our sense of time is like one May Fly in the vastness of the time in our universe, which is likely one of many universes.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
To urge repentance using fear,
they say the end is very near.
But then they must
their date adjust
to float so that it's never here.
There once was a prophet Isaiah,
Whose verses were confused and conflated,
translations are bungled
causing readers to stumble
resulting in claims twitterpated.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
There once was a prophet Isaiah,
Whose verses were confused and conflated,
translations are bungled
causing readers to stumble
resulting in claims twitterpated.
Did you write this?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Did you write this?
yes...

I just searched Google to make sure I didn't accidentally plagiarize... and it's confirmed... only five results and of those five the important words are missing...It is indeed a unique creation by dybmh for RF.

( link )

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
yes...

I just searched Google to make sure I didn't accidentally plagiarize... and it's confirmed... only five results and of those five the important words are missing...It is indeed a unique creation by dybmh for RF.

( link )
Yeah, I also searched before asking. I thought it might be a well-known poem that I was ignorant about...
Anyway, it's awesome!

A Vestigial Mote

There is always evidence, we just need to be more patient and ask, before we assume; which is where I get annoyed when people don't ask, yet simply argue what they don't understand.
I am (and have been) pretty sure it is YOU who do not understand. The star "Betelgeuse" that is expected to go supernova soon - has this event already happened in linear time, and we are soon to see/feel the results HERE ON EARTH? Or is this event expected to happen, and then we get to wait the time it takes any and all effects to reach us over the span of 642.5 light years distance between Earth and that star? Because if it is only about to happen now, in linear time - then we won't see the star do anything for another 640 years. You got that? 640 years.

So which is it? Already happened about 640 years AGO, or JUST ABOUT TO happen? Just answer that question.

PruePhillip

In Isaiah 13:10 it states that the sun to be darkened is the constellation Orion, which according to mainstream media will soon go supernova; which fits the prophecies where the fire will burn our faces in that day (Isaiah 13:8).

The debate is do we realize we have little time left before Judgement Day, and then after the Messianic Age?

Yes, it will go supernova. So too with the sun.
But we are talking about hundreds of thousands of years
at the very least.
There's enough in the OT prophecies to keep you busy
without looking at stars - take modern Israel for instance.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
OK.

I'll see if I can find something on this...

@wizanda,

I think I found something.... maybe...

How familiar are you with IbnEzra? Here's a tip: In addition to being a Torah scholar, he was also famous for his writing on astrology...

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
As previously stated. No, I do not believe it will go Supernova soon, but then that depends on your definition of soon. In cosmic time I suppose it could be considered soon at roughly 100,000 years from now. And as previously stated, the distance is very very far and will very likely not effect us at all when it does go Supernova and as already stated even if it went Supernova today, it would be a long time before we would actually see it. Which means if it goes supernova in 100,000 years, assuming the human race is still around, we will not see it for 100,640 years.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Don't know why I didn't go look this up myself before, but hey @wizanda - looks to me like you have some problems here. Here's a quote from an article about when Betelgeuse is estimated to go kaput based on expert opinions - and remember, these are people with experience in the field, who use actual instrumentation and calculations to come to their estimate - not "The Bible told me so":
The supernova: Using all these data, plus what we know about how stars evolve over time, the astronomers find that in about 100,000 years, Betelgeuse will run out of helium to fuse. The steps after that are a bit complicated, but essentially, it will begin to fuse ever-heavier elements on ever-shortening timescales, until it tries to fuse silicon into iron. This spells doom for the star, because it robs the star of the energy needed to support itself. The core collapses, heats up beyond imagining, and explodes. KaBLAM! No more Betelgeuse.
This still doesn't answer my question of whether that still means another 640 years before we see or experience anything, but 640 in either direction from 100,000 is small potatoes. The article was written in 2014, by the way... not 100,640 years ago as you probably would have hoped.

Not only this, but another bit of damning evidence from people who, again, have a lot more knowledge of the subject than you:
The aftermath: First, repeat after me: WE ARE IN NO DANGER, EVER, FROM BETELGEUSE.

At that distance, even the titanic detonation of a supergiant star poses no major threat. It’ll be bright, as bright as the full Moon! But it’s too far away to hurt us. Also? 100,000 years is a long time.
Sorry man. This is sort of game over for your crack-pot ideas. I, personally, was about to hammer the last nail into the coffin in my mind anyway, but this should keep you busy trying to apologize to your own mind and come up with more fantastical justifications for why you chose a very poor representative to showcase your "predictive prowess."

Link to the article: Betelgeuse

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it will go supernova. So too with the sun.
But we are talking about hundreds of thousands of years
at the very least.
There's enough in the OT prophecies to keep you busy
without looking at stars - take modern Israel for instance.

People's ability to make ancient (especially Biblical) prophecies relevant to their current circumstances seems infinitely creative.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
"Soon" is a very flexible term.

soon to a Westerner, a couple of days to maybe a week
soon to a Chinese person could be 100 years
soon in geological time..well 11,000 years is quite a short period of time
soon in cosmic time...soon...millions of years

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We're near Hell, which means most people down here are evil in some way, their general reason for doing things is selfish motivation; my reason is to stop everyone being destroyed, and to help raise them up from down near Hell.

More than they ever were? Or are we humans so suddenly become wicked? Not from my perspective they haven't - foolish perhaps, but not wicked (or evil). Unless you have the ability to read all minds.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Our current existence is about to change dramatically, and many who are not at the levels of wisdom required, will simply no longer exist according to the texts globally.

Much of human existence shall no longer exist, and we shall be more like angels here on earth for infinity after; where the fire in a day, shall cleanse all the demons from this realm down near Hell.
[GALLERY=media, 7191][/GALLERY]
I don't accept a Hollywood spectacular "day", but I do agree the mahasatyuga is being born as the "thief in the night" has whispered the Word.