• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Voters Share the Blame for Trump?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ya, I have read that before more than once. At any rate, it certainly does not work like that, now does it? As the Electoral College just votes along with the popular vote of the state. It was a giant flop, it does not work. All it does is give some voters more voting power based on what state they live in.
In theory, they could go against the popular vote.
But it might take a candidate even more objectionable
than even Trump.
Hey, if the Democrat Party can't find anyone better than
Biden or Hillary redux, the could nominate me. A test.

Nous

Premium Member
No, my great grandfather Jaques Cortelyou arrived in New Amsterdam (now NY) in 1650. For over 350 years, my family have not been immigrants.
So you still can't identify a single advantage to the country that has resulted from electing the president by the electoral system. Correct?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you still can't identify a single advantage to the country that has resulted from electing the president by the electoral system. Correct?
I can.
angry-hillary.jpg

Oh, come on....you know I had to go there after your post.

Cooky

Veteran Member

No, but I can see how changing it to the popular vote will inevitably change the country's future. Something I'm not willing to go along with.

Imagine a country like Venezuela with the greatest nuclear arsenal in the world. It is a potential scenario for the U.S. to become something similar within a 200 year timeframe, if current trends are allowed to continue, and the popular vote will only help it become a reality IMO.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Or perhaps a national division is in our future. Nobody ever said 'change' has to be good. Yet progressives charge toward it.

Nous

Premium Member
I can.
angry-hillary.jpg

Oh, come on....you know I had to go there after your post.
You would have still had that photo of Clinton making a funny face if the president were elected by national popular vote. You might have had even more such pics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You would have still had that photo of Clinton making a funny face if the president were elected by national popular vote. You might have had even more such pics.
With a popular vote, candidates would campaign with a different strategy.
We don't know that she'd have a plurality in that alternative.

Nous

Premium Member
No, but I can see how changing it to the popular vote will inevitably change the country's future. Something I'm not willing to go along with.

Imagine a country like Venezuela with the greatest nuclear arsenal in the world. It is a potential scenario for the U.S. to become something similar within a 200 year timeframe, if current trends are allowed to continue, and the popular vote will only help it become a reality IMO.
What you believe you are "seeing" is a gross delusion.

The candidate who did not get the national popular vote got the office 5 times in the history of the US. Obviously none of those occasions prevented the US from becoming Venezuela. The US cannot Venezuela. Let go of those delusions.

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
With a popular vote, candidates would campaign with a different strategy.
We don't know that she'd have a plurality in that alternative.
There would likely have been higher voter turnout if the election were by national popular vote, since under the current system in most states voters already know who will get their state's electoral votes. This higher voter turnout would have plausibly more closely reflected the majority of pre-election polls.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There would likely have been higher voter turnout if the election were by national popular vote, since under the current system in most states voters already know who will get their state's electoral votes. This higher voter turnout would have plausibly more closely reflected the majority of pre-election polls.
Higher voter turnout.....hmmm.....
Adding in the votes of those who didn't care enuf to vote before.
Yeah...that'll fix things.

Nous

Premium Member
Higher voter turnout.....hmmm.....
Adding in the votes of those who didn't care enuf to vote before.
Yeah...that'll fix things.
There's little reason to engage in useless speculations. The best information we have on the 2016 election if it had been by national popular vote is how people did vote.

esmith

Veteran Member
The President represents the Country, the Congress represents the people.
Therefore the President should be chosen by a majority of the Country and not by a majority of the people.
The Country consist of 50 States and the District of Columbia.
I would prefer to see the President elected by the States and the District of Columbia, in which whomever gets the majority of the 51 votes (each vote is based on who win the majority in each State and DC.
Since the Electoral College is the closest to this I say we leave it alone.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
People are real, states are entirely artificial creations subject to change or even elimination, so I go in the direction of just having the "real" represented.

esmith

Veteran Member
People are real, states are entirely artificial creations subject to change or even elimination, so I go in the direction of just having the "real" represented.
Do you agree or disagree with the concept that the President represents the Country and the Congress represents the people?

Is not the Senate a check on the idea of majority rule?
But a body that takes into consideration the ideals represented by the diversity of the population of each State.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
If you read farther it would say "of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union"

Ya I read that, a hundred times over and then some more, and what better why to form a more perfect union than by making it so that voting is a fair process, but I guess you are against fair voting.