• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do plants have souls?

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Ok, I'll start. I believe so and there are other groups out there who also think so.
Sufi's are sometimes mentioned as having thoughts/concepts that are quite Dharmic in nature. The 13th century poet Rumi wrote:
I died as mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was man.
Why should I fear?When was I less by dying?
This shows reincarnation as a progressive activity, yet the thought remains.
There is an ancient Irish poet Amergin (as a people that also spring from the pro-indo-european peoples and the foundations of their religious ideas I thought mentioning them would not be amiss) who is accredited with the Song of Amergin.
(There a a few version out there I am posting a short one here.)
I am the wind on the sea
I am the stormy wave
I am the sound of the ocean
I am the bull with seven horns
I am the hawk on the cliff face
I am the sun's tear
I am the beautiful flower
I am the boar on the rampage
I am the salmon in the pool
I am the lake on the plain
I am the defiant word
I am the spear charging into battle
I am the god who put fire in your head
Some view this as an invocation of all the things around the singer of this song, while others see it as an acknowledgment of the connection between all things. And others tie it to further mysteries of reincarnation.

In the Sri Guru Granth Sahib on page 156 Gauree Chaytee, First Mehl:
ਕੇਤੇ ਰੁਖ ਬਿਰਖ ਹਮ ਚੀਨੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਪਸੂ ਉਪਾਏ ॥
Keṯe rukẖ birakẖ ham cẖīne keṯe pasū upā▫e.
I took the form of so many plants and trees, and so many animals.

ਕੇਤੇ ਨਾਗ ਕੁਲੀ ਮਹਿ ਆਏ ਕੇਤੇ ਪੰਖ ਉਡਾਏ ॥੨॥
Keṯe nāg kulī mėh ā▫e keṯe pankẖ udā▫e. ||2||
Many times I entered the families of snakes and flying birds. ||2||

Just thought I would share.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
even if you say the soul IS consciousness (which i don't agree with) plants are clearly not conscious so by your definition they don't have souls.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
One of the first to research the concept [that plants were capable of feeling emotions] was the Indian scientist Sir Jagdish Chandra Bose, who began to conduct experiments on plants in the year 1900. He found that every plant and every part of a plant appeared to have a sensitive nervous system and responded to shock by a spasm just as an animal muscle does. One visitor to his laboratory, the vegetarian playwright George Bernard Shaw, was intensely disturbed upon witnessing a demonstration in which a cabbage had violent convulsions as it boiled to death.

Cleve Backster, an American scientist, conducted research that led him to believe that plants can communicate with other lifeforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_perception_(paranormal)

Self

even if you say the soul IS consciousness (which i don't agree with) plants are clearly not conscious so by your definition they don't have souls.

Yes they are Conscious. Just not the way humans are. There consciousness is at a lower level. They also have very little senses to show off that consciousness.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Yes plants have souls. Everything alive has a soul. Christians used to believe plants had souls too, they called them Dryads. Though they got that from earlier Pagan groups ;)

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Cute contemplative stuff, LSD would work wonders on that sought of logic, but given the apparent vague notion of plant physiology demonstrated here, the only conclusion an educated person could make is NO, unless you tipped the ashes of a deceased and declared reincarnation because some of the potassium had been incorporated into the plant.

Cheers

Self

I guess this really all depends on the individuals philosophy of what a soul is. If it is a life force, then yes plants do have a soul. If its that human spark, then no only humans have it. If its consciousness, then yes and no depending on your philosophy. But, what I say is that consciousness is the foundation of ALL. Therefore all things have a soul, even the very chair you sit in is conscious. But, because of the lack of senses it cant show off that it is conscious. The main difference between you and the chair is senses, not consciousness.

Remember what Ramana Maharshi said, " All there is, is consciousness"

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, plants have souls. Any living thing has a soul. More specifically, the soul is the life itself.
According to Hinduism, every soul begins its journy in material existence in the lowest platform of life (whateverthat is, a germ maybe). Reincarnation is the spiritual evolution that occurs. To be a human indicates that you have already existed as billions (if not trillions) of various life forms.

Satsangi

I agree with the disciple of Shri Dakshinamurthy 100%; plants to have a soul. All the souls take birth in four ways according to the fruits of the karmas given to them by the God. As per the scriptures, they are Uddbhijj (which grow from earth- trees), Jarayuj (birth from others- humans, animals), Swedaj (birth in filth like excreta or mud- mosquitoes) and Andajj ( come from eggs hatching- birds, snakes).

Regards,

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Wayfarer,

Kindly remember that whatever we see or do not are are all *consciousness* in various forms and no-forms and soul is another label used for "consciousness in humans'; now one may extent it everywhere even to plants, animals maybe the river, mountains or the sky. Only the mind is that which limits and when the mind becomes one with eternity then such a mind is nowhere to be found,

Love & rgds

Sharon Saw

Exploring
According to Buddhism, plants are not sentient beings, although i do wonder if single cell amoeba are sentient beings? Are amoeba animals? I don't think they have free will. How about bacteria?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
According to Buddhism, plants are not sentient beings, although i do wonder if single cell amoeba are sentient beings? Are amoeba animals? I don't think they have free will. How about bacteria?

Notice to all the cells and bacteria comprising my body.

Attention!

Who's doing the driving? :eek: