• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all atheists believe in evolution?

work in progress

The two have nothing to do with one another, at least not directly. Disbelief in God and disbelief in evolution are two completely different things.
But, most people who question the existence of God, look to science for clear answers. Growing up in a Young Earth Creationist church, I discovered at an early age that our church teachings were totally out of step with what I was learning in Geography class - especially when we studied the local geology of the Niagara Escarpment. So, turning to science for answers will lead most atheists to the evidence of science, and that includes the theory of evolution.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some say it is some say it isn't, depends on the person.

As to panspermia being a change of venue that wouldn't be true if you believed life is a constant force and has been around forever like energy and mass.

Lets see. There is no real definition of life. The only life we know is earth bound. Most scientists believe we will find life elsewhere eventually. I submit we know to little about life to understand panspermia, evolution and endosymbiotism.
How is any event or mechanism that contributed to what we are today not part of evolution? Incorporating a foreign organism into our own is certainly an evolutionary event.

There are all kinds of definitions of life, and you can posit an eternal life force permeating the universe, but you still need to explain the myriad creatures it's animating.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
How is any event or mechanism that contributed to what we are today not part of evolution? Incorporating a foreign organism into our own is certainly an evolutionary event.

There are all kinds of definitions of life, and you can posit an eternal life force permeating the universe, but you still need to explain the myriad creatures it's animating.

Very true but currently we are only looking at the myriad creatures of the earth which all come according to current theory from just one life form.

So until you can produce life from another life form you have no comparision to base anything.

St Giordano Bruno

There would occasionally be the odd exception to the rule like there would be the odd vegetarian which would eat turkey at Thanksgiving.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Belief in Evolution is, of course, unneeded. Being aware and having a functional understanding is however far rarer than one would expect, given that it is a high school matter that has been well understood for several decades at least.

So yes, I assume there are some.

St Giordano Bruno

"Atheist" is a very generic term. Some of the first atheists back in antiquity could have believed life was never created as it always existed much the way they see it, so in their logic there was no need for a creator, because if life had always existed there was no necessity for one, thus arguing their case for not believing in God. Some may have even believed the earth was of an infinite age and had no beginning and therefore no intelligent creator. They could have believed the natural world had always existed rather like many theists arguing the eternal existence of their God. The first atheists would never have heard of Darwin or even Lamarck; so evolution was nowhere near as important to them as many compemporary atheists of today, like many modern day scientific theories would be to Charles Darwin. Back in antiquity they may have heard of Anaximander instead with his theories that all animal life evolved from the fish of the seas, but certainly not Darwin and looked on Anaximander's theories as being unproven speculation of their times.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure I'd say I believe in the Theory of Evolution. It's kinda splitting hairs, but I believe in scientific method as our best way of determining the world around us. If following scientific method leads to the Theory of Evolution, then that's good enough for me until/unless it comes up with a more complete understanding.

I find it interesting that most people assume I'm a strict adherent to the ToE and the Big Bang Theory just because I'm an atheist. I can happily function as an atheist without knowing 'the' answer to life's mysteries.

And whilst I have done a good amount of reading and am reasonably educated on the Theory of Evolution, I am pretty sure I'm not qualified to offer much of an opinion on BBT. Just not in my wheelhouse.

Alceste

Vagabond
I accept evolution. It's a fascinating subject.

I don't think atheists in general have any real reason to reject it. I think you need to have some conflict that can only be resolved by rejecting evolution in order to not accept it.

That's not to say there aren't any atheists anywhere who reject evolution. It's just really hard for me to imagine a reason for them to do so.

jmn

By far the strongest theory based on the evidence, and the evidence is overwhelming. Stronger than theory of gravity.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd say more atheists than not probably tend to also be skeptics/rationalists, so I would assume that most also understand that evolutionary theory is a factual model of how populations change over time. Of course, there are probably a minority of atheists who are not atheists for rational reasons, and, therefore (like others whose worldview isn't based primarily on reason), may potentially not be able or willing to understand and accept the truth and value of evolution.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Believe in evolution? Lordy no who believes in a scientific concept with so much evidence available?

I accept evolution based on the evidence presented.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd say more atheists than not probably tend to also be skeptics/rationalists, so I would assume that most also understand that evolutionary theory is a factual model of how populations change over time. Of course, there are probably a minority of atheists who are not atheists for rational reasons, and, therefore (like others whose worldview isn't based primarily on reason), may potentially not be able or willing to understand and accept the truth and value of evolution.

Kilgore Trout said:
Only the rational ones.

Ah, it seems that a year and a half ago I already answered this question, and in a much more characteristically succinct and elegant manner. I'm becoming overly wordy and pedantic in my old age.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
Evolution is not a belief system. You either accept the evidence we have or you don’t. I doubt that there are atheists out there who are trying for an alternative theory to take its place. I have not heard of it so if someoen else has, then please let me know.

If we reject evolution in spite of all evidence that supports it, then we have to accept creationism. That leads to believing that some godhead tinkered with his chemistry kit and ....

The abyss of irrationality and superstition opens and leads us into the realm of religion where anything goes. Now I need some coffe and chocolate so I can recover from those dark thoughts.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ughh...how about Raelism? I don't think it was mentioned earlier. I'm sure there are a bunch of these type of...umm...religions, that would fall under the banner of atheism, but not follow evolutionary principle.

Raëlism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I kinda shudder to think they would share the same DIR are with me, but...*shrugs*

Alceste

Vagabond
Ughh...how about Raelism? I don't think it was mentioned earlier. I'm sure there are a bunch of these type of...umm...religions, that would fall under the banner of atheism, but not follow evolutionary principle.

Raëlism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I kinda shudder to think they would share the same DIR are with me, but...*shrugs*

A friend of mine wrote a book on those folks. It's debatable to me that alien cults in general are non-theistic. The purported characteristics of their alien saviors are pretty much indistinguishable from the purported characteristics of most gods, including omnipotence, benevolence, favoritism toward people who share your beliefs, and the promise of immortality.

jmn

The purported characteristics of their alien saviors are pretty much indistinguishable from the purported characteristics of most gods, including omnipotence, benevolence, favoritism toward people who share your beliefs, and the promise of immortality.

nicely said:shout

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
A friend of mine wrote a book on those folks. It's debatable to me that alien cults in general are non-theistic. The purported characteristics of their alien saviors are pretty much indistinguishable from the purported characteristics of most gods, including omnipotence, benevolence, favoritism toward people who share your beliefs, and the promise of immortality.

Agree totally. They are replacing a belief system centered around an omnipotent being with a belief system centered around a race so powerful they might as well be omnipotent, and the key thing is the word 'belief'.

But I'm pretty sure the theists would reject them. I think they need their own group...dunno what the group would be called. All the names I can think of are probably a little demeaning...ahem...

Last edited: