• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all atheists believe in evolution?

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
I think they would definitely be a minority. I, for one, would love to know their reasoning behind rejecting it :D It is worth noting though that atheism has existed long before the theory of evolution itself was formulated. But I suspect many historical atheists would have little problem in accepting evolutionary theory.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
The only ones I know of who don't are the "Raelians". They're technically atheists and they do not accept evolution.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The two have nothing to do with one another, at least not directly. Disbelief in God and disbelief in evolution are two completely different things.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
The Soviet Union had a significant number of atheists, and also had an anti-evolutionist stance for most of it's history (they preferred Lamarkianism, since they thought "survival of the fittest" to be uncommunist).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I am just curious.

Atheist Agnostic, I don't support it fully and support some other scientific theories.

I like especially Endosymbiotic theory.

I am also starting to think there might be something to Panspermia.

I do believe evolution can explain a lot but don't think it was the only player in the game.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Endosymbiotism isn't an alternative to the ToE, it's just another evolutionary mechanism, and panspermia is just a change of venue.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Endosymbiotism isn't an alternative to the ToE, it's just another evolutionary mechanism, and panspermia is just a change of venue.

Some say it is some say it isn't, depends on the person.

As to panspermia being a change of venue that wouldn't be true if you believed life is a constant force and has been around forever like energy and mass.

Lets see. There is no real definition of life. The only life we know is earth bound. Most scientists believe we will find life elsewhere eventually. I submit we know to little about life to understand panspermia, evolution and endosymbiotism.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm sure it's possible, but the closest thing I've heard about it is "Young Earth Evolutionists" so they most likely do not believe in the ToE but believe in Evolution. :eek:

lunakilo

"Young Earth Evolutionists"
:biglaugh:Never heard that one before.

The theory of evolution is just the most widely accepted theory of how life develops so it is not surprising that many atheists accept it (I for one do), but there is no reason why all atheists should think the same.

There is no connection between ahteism and the theory and evolution.

gnostic

The Lost One
I have cousins, who are atheists, but who don't understand evolution. Most of their professions are in accounting or business or marketing, so in general they don't understand science in general, including evolution.

So in the way they don't believe in evolution, because of this lack of understanding, but they are not against evolution, if that's what you are saying. It is not important to them in their life - socially and professionally.

Last edited:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I have cousins, who are atheists, but who don't understand evolution. Most of their professions are in accounting or business or marketing, so in general they don't understand science in general, including evolution.

So in the way they don't believe in evolution, because of this lack of understanding, but they are not against evolution, if that's what you are saying. It is not important to them in their life - socially and professionally.

Bingo