• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depressed? Or know someone who is?

TurkeyOnRye

Well, if this were true, then why aren't you taking medication to cure the chemical imbalance?

Does your statement presume that medication is the default action for chemical imbalance? Medication helps many people stay sane in the meantime, and psychotherapy in combination with medication can yield powerful results, if you're particularly lucky. Unfortunately, psychoactive medications such as antidepressants may cause severe reactions to small numbers of people, so as is my habit, I always caution others about medication, if they're new to to the idea. On the other hand, working with an incompetent psychiatrist or counselor, there is the possibility that they will simply exacerbate your symptoms. In the end, one should seek the right treatment method with a doctor that they feel comfortable with.

As Storm said, MaddLlama hasn't been around, but here are some posts that may answer your question:

What works for one person isn't always the solution for everyone else. Religion didn't cure my depression, and physical exercise is good for physically feeling better, but not mentally.
You can make a correlation like that with a lot of things and depression. It doesn't mean that just ONE of those things is the reason, or even that any of them are.

Like I said, what works for one person doesn't work for everyone else. Just like exercise. I make it a point to work out at least 4 times a week since I'm trying to loose weight. I don't feel any less depressed. There really just isn't one single universal cure for depression. Even medication doesn't work for some people.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Lists of simple things like exercising or laughing and so forth are helpful, but they kind of gloss over what deep depression really is. The list in the OP is good, but the more recent post that says "all you have to do is..." is very misinformed.

sniper762

if one is DEPRESSED, it is only because someone planted the concept into their mind. (good business in treating depression).

just remember..........YOU are the only one that makes the decision every day you wake up of HOW you want to face life..........why not be optimistic, positive and enjoy what you have?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
if one is DEPRESSED, it is only because someone planted the concept into their mind. (good business in treating depression).

just remember..........YOU are the only one that makes the decision every day you wake up of HOW you want to face life..........why not be optimistic, positive and enjoy what you have?
No, if one is depressed, it is because they suffer from a disease. You can't just snap out of it anymore than cancer.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Depression affects one's ability to enjoy. It's about finding no pleasure in any activities or ideas or people. It's about feeling hopeless and sad. One can try to pretend they are optimistic or that they enjoy what they have, but if they don't, then it's simply a faking of it.

Sure, taking positive steps to improve one's chances should be encouraged, since there are environmental and internal things that can affect depression. Following a list of things like getting exercise, trying to focus on positive aspects, and being thankful for what one has may help (and usually at least cannot hurt).

But minimizing what depression is by those that think they know what it is can be damaging to individuals that actually have it.

TurkeyOnRye

Here's the kicker... One is bound by their depression to take such action to remove it from their life. Try asking a person with two broken legs to walk to a hospital.

Wornout

King Crimson
Lists of simple things like exercising or laughing and so forth are helpful, but they kind of gloss over what deep depression really is. The list in the OP is good, but the more recent post that says "all you have to do is..." is very misinformed.

I have suffered from depression since a young child. Been on numerous medications, exercise and therapy. Have lived with short term fixes such as alcohol and drug abuse since 19. These just eventually make it more evident and I play the "name that type of depression again." If there was a LIST/BOOK, I could not concentrate long enough to read the thing. ADHD as well:thud:

TheQueenCat

Animal Lover
Depression affects one's ability to enjoy. It's about finding no pleasure in any activities or ideas or people. It's about feeling hopeless and sad. One can try to pretend they are optimistic or that they enjoy what they have, but if they don't, then it's simply a faking of it.

Sure, taking positive steps to improve one's chances should be encouraged, since there are environmental and internal things that can affect depression. Following a list of things like getting exercise, trying to focus on positive aspects, and being thankful for what one has may help (and usually at least cannot hurt).

But minimizing what depression is by those that think they know what it is can be damaging to individuals that actually have it.

Yes you're right.
Depression is really important illness. I think the solutions are, psychiatrist, drugs, theraphy and positive thinking.

I wanna ask you something. Do you know manic depressive disorder?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Ten months ago I was divorced from a girl who I love dearly, who I still want to be with, and who I still pursue. She says she wants to be with me and loves me too, but she can't, right now, possibly ever. It seems like that no matter what I do, she can never really understand how much I love her and miss her and want to still be with her. She said she feels the same. She's finally recognizing that she has intimacy issues, but I don't know if she's ever really going to act on that knowledge. But, because of this, I suffer from extreme depression and anxiety. I've seen two counselors over the last year, and been on several meds for depression and anxiety. None of that helped. Converting to and practicing Buddhism has helped, but I still have a long way to go. What complicates this, is the fact that she says she still loves me and wants to be with me, but can't. So I still chase her, hoping that one day it might bear fruit. But, the longer time goes on, the less I think that it will, even though she occasionally does things to keep me chasing her. Anyway, I've rambled long enough.

sniper762

i know many who are.

doctors try to suggest that i should be,

but, i am not, nor will never be, and "i" am the only one authorized to make that decision.