• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debate: Does it Proof you are a fool, or just a smart-***?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Debate: Does it Proof you are a fool, or just a smart-a.s.s?

I get a crush if ego get a crash

If other is right, debating him proofs I am a fool
If other is wrong, him debating proofs he's a fool

For me debate's prove nothing but when good provides information for me, entertains me and inspires me to act in the real world. When bad takes up my time.

Shushersbedamned

It's an even greater fool that doesn't understand their own limits. :oops:
It's not my limits that concern me when in an argument with a fool. The fool's foolishness has no limits. There's no point trying to reach it and find where the idiocy stops.

You, however, are nothing like a fool. You're just a genuine troll.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's not my limits that concern me when in an argument with a fool. The fool's foolishness has no limits. There's no point trying to reach it and find where the idiocy stops.

You, however, are nothing like a fool. You're just a genuine troll.

Oh I am - been in plenty of caves too. :D What are you? Don't answer that unless you want to incriminate yourself.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You're not a fool for being proved wrong. Everyone is wrong now and then. It's childish to expect otherwise for yourself. You're a fool when you're proved wrong but refuse to see it.

I agree completely, if your point was to agree with me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I am pretty sure that there is no winning or losing here, except there is losing if you are removed, but then again, that might be winning because this place is awful addictive and I am sure there are better ways to be occupated. That is my opinion.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It was Bobby Fisher who famously said of his chess opponents, "I like to feel his ego crack."

But personally that's not my aim.

stvdv

I don't agree with the title:
To me Debate means you put yourself in a vulnerable position, and are willing to be proven wrong, so you are willing to admit you are wrong. Meaning you are humble. I call this courageous.

Actually one who debates puts himself in the position where he can learn something. That it is the opposite of a fool. A fool doesn't want/dare to take the risk to debate and lose. So he might end up staying a fool.

So the Post should be:
Debate: This proofs you are smart and courageous

Not necessarily true. If I do it to improve my debating skills it's kind of smart. Especially if you proof him wrong. Then you are very smart. But even smarter telling him afterwards the truth, else we have one extra fool on earth.

But normally I would say the best debate is if both are convinced that they are right.
If both think they are wrong then of course a debate would seem kind of silly. Unless like above it's to exersize debating skills.

Last edited:

stvdv

It was Bobby Fisher who famously said of his chess opponents, "I like to feel his ego crack."
But personally that's not my aim.

Personally my aim is to crack my own ego. To take other ego's along is bonus.

Bobby Fisher can be seen as a guru. The guru is known to do his utmost best to crack the diciple's ego.
[Unless for Bobby Fisher the emphasis was more on him "like" then on "crack their ego's"]

Many people in the west are agains guru's. Probably because they cherish their ego's too much

sealchan

In truth a debate has the power to teach ...if not those who debate then those who witness that debate.

The only time a debate might change a debate is when that person becomes vulnerable enough to share their subjective biases/bases of belief. When this happens too often it is not recognized and an opportunity for another to kindly acknowledge and respect that admission is missed. Instead the person is accused of being brainwashed or unintelligent.

Shushersbedamned

In truth a debate has the power to teach ...if not those who debate then those who witness that debate.

The only time a debate might change a debate is when that person becomes vulnerable enough to share their subjective biases/bases of belief. When this happens too often it is not recognized and an opportunity for another to kindly acknowledge and respect that admission is missed. Instead the person is accused of being brainwashed or unintelligent.
I give little value for personal confessions in a debate. It's boring and usually more or less misses the object.

sealchan

I give little value for personal confessions in a debate. It's boring and usually more or less misses the object.

You are perhaps an objectivist who sees truth as only that which is true regardless of whether any given person believes it or not. But what about all the other truth?